PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo Mayo Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen discussions like this on other forums and Mayo doesn't earn much respect from what i've read. The most used comment is : " He just makes tackles 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. "

Mayo is a top 3 ILB but among all linebackers there are guys i'd have ahead of him. Then again...he is still only 25!! So it's hard to judge. The sky is the limit for this guy, it all depends on him.

Suggs should be on there, for as much of an idiot as he is, he is pretty damn good.

If you look at Suggs snap counts, he plays something like 55% of his snaps as a DE. I consider him more of a DE than an OLB.

If you look at Suggs snap counts, he plays something like 55% of his snaps as a DE. I consider him more of a DE than an OLB.

Didn't Suggs have this argument with the Ravens when they franchised him?

Didn't they say he was an OLB and he said he was a DE, meaning he would get more money???

Hands on ground or hands up....sounds like quite a few hybrid DE/OLB's :D

you really do not like Mr. Mayo do you?

Think he is the best "young" ILB in the game right now.. and will continue to improve. There is little not to like about him.. football smart, low maintainence, hard worker, leader, focused and one of the best young players in the game today.

Last edited:
:agree:

what more can you say about him? He's going to be very good...even better than he is now...

I can't believe there are people in this thread that are honestly Clay Mathews and Demarcus Ware to Jerod Mayo. Just because it says LB next to their name does not mean that they play the same position. Why not compare Mayo to Dwight Freeney? His role in the Colts' defense is pretty similar to what Clay Mathews does for the Packers.

Let's instead list the guys who are the best in the league at playing ILB and compare Mayo to them. Here are some guys who I think make for good discussion

Patrick Willis (clearly the best IMO)
Lawrence Timmons
David Harris
Ray Lewis
Karlos Dansby
Brian Urlacher
Brian Cushing
Derrick Johnson
Jon Beason
Jonathan Vilma

Those are probably the 10 best ILBs in the NFL right now if you don't include Mayo. The only guy on the list I would say is definetly better would be Willis. I also think Timmons and Harris wouldn't represent any downgrade if we traded Mayo for them straight up.

In short, Mayo is a beast, and he's only gonna get better.

When did Cushing become an ILB???

Cushing's a roider and he wasn't all that impressive last year anyways after his 4 game suspension.

Atleast Mayo was playing injured for his sophmore season. Cushing is just off the juice.

When Phillips got hired. 43 sams typically become 34 mikes.

Ok, but he hasn't played there yet, so cannot be classed as an ILB who is better than Mayo!

He could be s**t there!

It would be interesting to see if people here thought Mayo is a better LB than Ted Johnson ever was.

Mayo is a good player but honestly IMO the two inside linebackers the Jets have, David Harris and Bart Scott, are both as good as Mayo, if not better.

Ok, but he hasn't played there yet, so cannot be classed as an ILB who is better than Mayo!

He could be s**t there!

Well, being the Sam in a 4-3 defense required Cushing to do a lot of the same things ILBs do in 3-4 defenses. He has to blitz, drop into coverage, and take on guards frequently. I'm not saying it's the same position, because there are definitely differences, but the skill set required is similar.

What separates Cushing from 3-4 OLBs is that he doesn't line up on the line of scrimmage, and he is usually shaded inside of a DE. When Demeco Ryan went down they moved Cushing into the Mike role, and I have no doubt that Mayo could be effective as an OLB in the 4-3. To me, this makes them comparable players.

Mayo is a good player but honestly IMO the two inside linebackers the Jets have, David Harris and Bart Scott, are both as good as Mayo, if not better.

Upon what are you basing such an assertion?

Upon what are you basing such an assertion?
Mayo vs Harris vs Scott

2154688_o.gif

Harris is overrated. Scott is pretty good, but not $8M a year good or Mayo good.

Baltimore Alleged Pats Fan has already previously demonstrated ~ repeatedly ~ that he is brain damaged.

Nothing to see here.

Harris is overrated. Scott is pretty good, but not $8M a year good or Mayo good.

Baltimore Alleged Pats Fan has already previously demonstrated ~ repeatedly ~ that he is brain damaged.

Nothing to see here.
Especially when you consider the following;

Jerod Mayo as himself - 175 tackles 114 unassisted 2 sacks 1 forced fumble 5 Pass defensed - 2010 salary $2.7 million

Harris & Scott combined - 180 tackles 128 unassisted 4 sacks 2 forced fumbles 5 Pass defensed - 2010 salary $4.5 million

In summary the Patriots get more or equal production from Jerod Mayo than the Jets did in 2010 from Bart Scott & David Harris for roughly $2 million dollars cheaper. I can't confirm how reliable those salary numbers are but dang.

CAN'T WAIT.

Last edited:
Especially when you consider the following;

Jerod Mayo as himself - 175 tackles 114 unassisted 2 sacks 1 forced fumble 5 Pass defensed - 2010 salary $2.7 million

Harris & Scott combined - 180 tackles 128 unassisted 4 sacks 2 forced fumbles 5 Pass defensed - 2010 salary $4.5 million

In summary the Patriots get more or equal production from Jerod Mayo than the Jets did in 2010 from Bart Scott & David Harris for roughly $2 million dollars cheaper. I can't confirm how reliable those salary numbers are but dang.

CAN'T WAIT.

Next year's salary figures are hilarious. Harris has the franchise tag, so he has a cap hit of right around $10M. Scott's cap hit is $6.65M. Mayo has a total cap hit of right around $5M :lol2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes