PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo and Wilfork PRESENT for start of practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the Captain Obvious statement, but Wilfork is much more important for this game than Mayo. I believe Guyton can fill the Mayo gap, but Wilfork is crucial given the match up.

Linebacker Mayo back in Patriots practice but unlikely for Ravens - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Quote:
Linebacker Jerod Mayo returned to practice Friday for the first time since he sprained his MCL in the Patriots' opening game against Buffalo, leading to speculation he might play this weekend.

But according to a league source, it's unlikely Mayo will play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. It's more likely he'll return in the near future.

Mayo had a clean break of the MCL ligament (grade III), but he has been rehabbing well -- even studying film while on the training table. The normal timetable for this injury is six to eight weeks, but an athlete of Mayo's caliber can rehab much quicker. While Mayo, 23, can run straight ahead, the concern remains his side-to-side movement and whether the ligament can sustain any unexpected contact. The Patriots likely will probably be cautious not to rush Mayo back too soon.

Mayo was drafted 10th overall in the 2008 draft.

What I find particularly amusing about all of this is the fact that the, at the time reported rumor that it was a grade III, is now taken as gospel, even tho there has been no confirmation of anything by the Pats. Not that I expect the Pats to ever confirm anything.

I figured that Wilfork would be held out this week and have a chance of playing anyway. Mayo returning is a good sign meaning he could be back in the line up by mid October.

Great sign but I dont think Mayo plays. Wilfork...maybe but Mayo I doubt it.

Those Tomasse & Borges rumors of amputation are now proven false!

I'll be happy if he returns after the bye.

Honestly, same here - why rush it? Take your time, Jerod, I'm just pumped he's doing so well.

One of the biggest factors in deciding who the SB champion is has to do with health at the end of the season, not in week 4.

Honestly, same here - why rush it? Take your time, Jerod, I'm just pumped he's doing so well.

One of the biggest factors in deciding who the SB champion is has to do with health at the end of the season, not in week 4.

Not sure if the rest of the AFC East got that memo. With the exception to the jest, they will get there's soon enough......

What I find particularly amusing about all of this is the fact that the, at the time reported rumor that it was a grade III, is now taken as gospel, even tho there has been no confirmation of anything by the Pats. Not that I expect the Pats to ever confirm anything.

That is what gets me - how can CBS sportsline state so definitively what his injury and the intentions of the Patriots are - nothing has been confirmed by anyone.

great ! very very positive

Really psyched to hear this news, but also really cautious. And the Patriots tend to be that way, too. I expect at least two more games WITHOUT both Mayo and Wilfork.

Really psyched to hear this news, but also really cautious. And the Patriots tend to be that way, too. I expect at least two more games WITHOUT both Mayo and Wilfork.
Mayo I agree with. Not Wilfork. He may get less snaps but I fully expect him to play this week and it not DEFINITELY the following week.

Not sure if the rest of the AFC East got that memo. With the exception to the jest, they will get there's soon enough......

From your mouth to the football gods ears?...:D

Jets CBs Sheppard, Strickland out against Saints

Jets coach Rex Ryan admitted the team came close to signing a cornerback this week. The Jets worked out veterans Corey Ivy and Justin Miller last week.

Good thing they already won their Super Bowl if the injury bug is going to start to bite!

Last edited:
And in related injury news...errr, speculation :D

BB quoted in Extra Points BB Talks About Mayo and Game Time Decisions:

Guys that maybe didn't practice one of the days earlier in the week, or both of them, and then they go out there today and that's good,'' Belichick said. ``We'll see where they're at tomorrow and make a call on that on Sunday

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that Welker participated every day this week...BB is calling just the ones that missed at least a day as game day decisions...therefore WW not as questionable as we think?

Yes, yes, I know...trying to read between BB's lines. What can I say? I enjoy a good exercise in futility every now and then! :singing:

Last edited:
Jerod Mayo-LB-Patriots Oct. 2 - 4:27 pm et

Updating a previous item, Patriots ILB Jerod Mayo (knee) is listed as doubtful for Week 4.
He did not practice on Friday and will again be replaced by Gary Guyton, who is a terrific IDP start against the run-minded Ravens. Patriots NT Vince Wilfork (ankle, questionable) had "limited" practice and is a game-day call.
Source: Boston Herald
Related: Vince Wilfork

Wes Welker-WR-Patriots Oct. 2 - 4:25 pm et

Wes Welker (questionable, knee) was limited in Friday's practice.
It's better than last week, when Welker was held out of the Friday practice and deactivated on game day. He has a better chance to face the Ravens this week, but is still a game-time decision. Check back around noon ET Sunday.
Source: Boston Herald

Patriots remove Randy Moss from injury report

Moss
Randy Moss is no longer on the Patriots' Week 4 injury report.
His back is no longer an issue (not that it really ever was). Moss hasn't caught a touchdown through three games, but he is ranked first in the league in catches and fifth in the league in receiving yards. Considering his well below-the-norm YPC average (10.8), Moss is destined for improvement. Oct. 2 - 4:20 pm et

Sheppard being out, eh? Brees must be foaming at the mouth about that one.

Indeed! Actually, I thought I heard or read yesterday that Lito was good to go for Sunday. Either that was more bluster from Sexy Rexy's camp, or I am just making things up in my head. :confused2: Anyhoo...I smell an end to the Jests "perfect season" coming up! Poor fellas! :singing:

Last edited:
Great News! Although I agree that not pushing it is critical for the near future, I would love to be able to see him play here at Mile High next week.

I understand that people are happy in seeing Mayo at practice but how can you say that it will be a miraculous recovery when you were not even in on the type or severity of his injury in the first place? I like BB style, keep your eggs to your chest. In fact it is for this reason why I think he will not be too happy with Tate going on about when he thinks he can play. It is not the PATs way of doing things.
I have always had the suspicion that Mayo will be out for at most 4 weeks given the initial reaction of BB.
Anyway, happy times.

Did anybody actually say he had an MCL problem ........... I mean a Patriot with knowledge? Maybe he just had a twisted knee or some other thing similar.

Did anybody actually say he had an MCL problem ........... I mean a Patriot with knowledge? Maybe he just had a twisted knee or some other thing similar.
It officially was a MCL sprain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back