PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe the Pats should shoot for a piece of the action

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kraft wouldn't do a poison pill deal for his own benefit in 2007 he isn't going to do one as one of the elite owners in 2010 when Jerry Jones just went on record saying that eliminating them is one of the very important issues ownership will persue in any new CBA so that matching offer sheets remains a viable option to teams utilizing transition tags and RFA tenders as they were intended...

Why does people think anyone would need to do a poison pill, if Denver wanted to keep him he would have been tendered the highest 1st and 3rd!

Last edited:
Why does people think anyone would need to do a poison pill, if Denver wanted to keep him he would have been tendered the highest 1st and 3rd!
Correct. They will move him.
DW Toys

I guess if you ignore simple logic, this might be a great idea. The whole premise relies on Marshall signing a tender offer. Now why would Marshall sign a tender offer with the Pats that didn't have a signing bonus payable immediately? If the Pats just offer him an one year deal just to get the trade done, why don't the Broncos just match the offer and then trade Marshall directly to the Seahawks for a higher pick? Why would the Seahawks negotiate with the Pats until they acquired Marshall (bringing us back to why would Marshall sign a deal that wouldn't be a substantial long term deal with an immediate payout)?

The only way a three way trade works in any sport is if all sides are in agreement and all sides bring value to the table. Marshall would never sign a deal with the Pats that would not leave them on the hook for millions of dollars.

another rocket-scientist-super-genius-mega-expert chimes in

about as genius as trading for a player, only to trade him to another team for a higher pick. Thats something out of the MAdden world. Never will happen.

Do these guys who post about this Madden game realise that its only a bit of fun, bit of a larf!

They think they are so funny!... Patronising tos...

some of the responses certainly dont sound that way. Seem to me people think this is a possibility.

about as genius as trading for a player, only to trade him to another team for a higher pick. Thats something out of the MAdden world. Never will happen.

I wouldn't know, I don't play video games

but thanks for clarifying..........I am sure there is plenty of small talk around you can go fix

And how would you structure this contract in order to get Marshall to sign the offer sheet WITHOUT costing the Patriots at least $2M in signing bonuses that they would have to pay? [Remember, NFL trades don't involve cash.]

Easy, a guaranteed roster bonus due on day of signing the offer sheet plus 15.

Dave

How many months do you have to keep an RFA after signing him to an offer sheet?

it doesn't matter

the super geniuses have decided it has no chance of happening, so there is no point in talking about it.....

suprised one of the elite has not recommended this thread to the practice squad

This makes no sense at all. If Marshall want to sign in Seattle and they are willing to give up the number 14 pick then a deal is going to get done with Denver. Your scenario shows that Denver will be forced to trade with Seattle because Denver wont want to let that happen(or another team with a lower pick signing him).

the cameras beg to differ

what's unethical? denver is refusing to even discuss a deal with the seahawks...I guess its their right, but like any other situation.....if they want him, they should sign him and if they don't they should deal him and not hold him hostage

don't sweat the ethics....nobody in the NFL does

It could probably be done but not in a 1 years span e.g the jets deal for farve where they were banned from trading him to the vikings. The broncos wouldn't leave themselves unprotected like that

Practice squad material, just like the pseudo troll that posted this drivel.

"I'm gonna come up with an idea so dumb that even DW TOYS might consider it unlikely, then feign anger at the the utterly predictable response from those with more than a single brain cell"

Note to self: One should never over-estimate the level common sense present in DW TOYS.

it doesn't matter

the super geniuses have decided it has no chance of happening, so there is no point in talking about it.....

isn't that the point though, it's not happening because the rules won't allow it?

Practice squad material, just like the pseudo troll that posted this drivel.

"I'm gonna come up with an idea so dumb that even DW TOYS might consider it unlikely, then feign anger at the the utterly predictable response from those with more than a single brain cell"

Note to self: One should never over-estimate the level common sense present in DW TOYS.

Just who the hell are you troll? Go back to high school kid.
How many have I hit? Quite a few. I never pushed anyones' face in it when I was right. Missed a few too. Been torched. So be it. How about you? Do your homework and go to bed.

Look kid. The guy that wrote this isn't that far off base. It is not that far fetched. You tell me you know exactly what Belichick is thinking and saying and te Salute to you sir. You don't even know that the Hawks would have to give up their 6th and not 14th do you? no?........I figured as much.

Boy, next time when you see DW Toys, just don't read it. I don't get paid by the post. I do it for fun and entertainment and my opinion matters as much as you or the gentlemen who took time to write this original thread. Don't read it if you don't like it boy. You don't have a gun to your head. Some gentlemen work hard on their thoughts and I do put some work into these right or wrong and if you are trying to be a rockstar poster like a few of these weapons that live at home with Mom, go read all on the practice squad. Seriously, I am guessing high school sophomore right?

What moron gets to determine what is "practice material" or not? What is that like riding the little bus in High school. They still have those right?

Oh wait...454 total posts. Cool or like they say in homeroom "awesome", right?

Next time you should just treat people with respect. I could give two craps about what you think of me and my posts. I can't worry about what I can't control. You mean really nothing to me nor what you say so you have just wasted my time. For that I am not happy.

I have been insulted by much better men than you in this forum. I have also made some pretty good friends even if we do not agree but there is respect. Just learn from this for next time and respect and grow up.
DW Toys

Last edited:
another rocket-scientist-super-genius-mega-expert chimes in

Why are these young-very confident in their own appeal about themselves, and Mensa mental men, after you? I thought the post was reasonable (but I happen to agree with Jack B. that I wouldn't mind Marshall at 26 years old and hopefully going to mature). This torture is usually reserved for me and I could give a rats derriere.

I can understand disagreement if there is respect, but this is like walking out of a dark closet into a raging fistfight sometimes.

You were not wrong in the path you were going if it benefited that Pats reasonably.

Some high school kid dragged me into this. He should go on the Practice Squad. Evidently some moron can just say you should go on the Practice Squad and someone on the other end actually listens to what that guy says. So all you have to do is say "this or that guy should be on the Practice Squad" and it is done like magic! What a country.

DW Toys

Why are these young-very confident in their own appeal about themselves, and Mensa mental men, after you? I thought the post was reasonable (but I happen to agree with Jack B. that I wouldn't mind Marshall at 26 years old and hopefully going to mature). This torture is usually reserved for me and I could give a rats derriere.

I can understand disagreement if there is respect, but this is like walking out of a dark closet into a raging fistfight sometimes.

You were not wrong in the path you were going if it benefited that Pats reasonably.

Some high school kid dragged me into this. He should go on the Practice Squad. Evidently some moron can just say you should go on the Practice Squad and someone on the other end actually listens to what that guy says. So all you have to do is say "this or that guy should be on the Practice Squad" and it is done like magic! What a country.

DW Toys

Lol. I don't post much at all. I think this is my second or third post on this forum. But I've been reading posts forever.
Yours, Pat Jew's, and KontradictioNs posts stand out the most to me.
So please ignore this kid and keep posting. :)

This makes no sense at all. If Marshall want to sign in Seattle and they are willing to give up the number 14 pick then a deal is going to get done with Denver. Your scenario shows that Denver will be forced to trade with Seattle because Denver wont want to let that happen(or another team with a lower pick signing him).
You miss the point, the whole reason we and PFT are talking about this is Denver has said "no" to accepting the 14 from Seattle. And Marshall has complete control of where he goes, what Denver wants isn't the determining factor.

No rule on that. You can cut or trade him the next day if you want to.

I guess if you ignore simple logic, this might be a great idea. The whole premise relies on Marshall signing a tender offer. Now why would Marshall sign a tender offer with the Pats that didn't have a signing bonus payable immediately?
Because he has already worked out a deal with Seattle and the Pats and Seattle have the trade agreed to? If Seattle wants to pay Marshall more money than anyone else will, and he wants to play there, then OF COURSE he will do it.

Summary:
Broncos get #22 in the first-The lose Marshall

Hawks keep their #6 away from the Broncos, get Marshall and get a second round pick #53-They lose #14 and Tatupu

Patriots get #14, and get ILB Tatupu-Patriots lose #22 and #53

I thought that the last trade you proposed, the one which ended up in the practice squad, was completely ridiculous and deserved nothing but ridicule. For that reason noone is treating this one seriously.

BUT... this one actually makes sense and *could* be a good deal for both Seattle and the Pats. I would quibble a bit with the 53th pick but that's a minor detail. The big thing is, the addition of another player and another draft pick turns this from a workaround into a real deal which will withstand criticism.

Rather than being reviled by other teams, the Pats would be grudgingly admired for coming up with a creative solution which benefits them as well as the other team. It's happened before ("That crazy Belichick just traded Seymour... what idiot ever does that?... hmmm... maybe that wasn't such a bad deal for them.")

Having said that... the BUT is....

... it will never happen for two reasons.
1. Belichick won't screw over McDaniels.
2. Kraft won't want to use a poison pill.

If this happened with Minnesota, they'd do it, but not Denver and McDaniels.

Just who the hell are you troll? Go back to high school kid.
How many have I hit? Quite a few. I never pushed anyones' face in it when I was right. Missed a few too. Been torched. So be it. How about you? Do your homework and go to bed.

Look kid. The guy that wrote this isn't that far off base. It is not that far fetched. You tell me you know exactly what Belichick is thinking and saying and te Salute to you sir. You don't even know that the Hawks would have to give up their 6th and not 14th do you? no?........I figured as much.

Boy, next time when you see DW Toys, just don't read it. I don't get paid by the post. I do it for fun and entertainment and my opinion matters as much as you or the gentlemen who took time to write this original thread. Don't read it if you don't like it boy. You don't have a gun to your head. Some gentlemen work hard on their thoughts and I do put some work into these right or wrong and if you are trying to be a rockstar poster like a few of these weapons that live at home with Mom, go read all on the practice squad. Seriously, I am guessing high school sophomore right?

What moron gets to determine what is "practice material" or not? What is that like riding the little bus in High school. They still have those right?

Oh wait...454 total posts. Cool or like they say in homeroom "awesome", right?

Next time you should just treat people with respect. I could give two craps about what you think of me and my posts. I can't worry about what I can't control. You mean really nothing to me nor what you say so you have just wasted my time. For that I am not happy.

I have been insulted by much better men than you in this forum. I have also made some pretty good friends even if we do not agree but there is respect. Just learn from this for next time and respect and grow up.
DW Toys

You just posted quite a few paragraphs proving, I guess, how little you care about my opinion of your posts.

The typical response from guys like you is 'don't read it if you don't like it' aside from being backward logic, you are just one of many who make this forum a chore to plough through.

Your idiotic mis-conceptions about what you think is realistic, leaves you permanently disappointed - and you are only to willing to share this continuous disaffection with us all.

Having said all that, i'm essentially an optimistic type of guy - i'll keep reading your stuff in the hopes something may appear that doesn't appear to have been composed by an 8 year old Madden addict with A.D.D.

1. Kraft/BB won't do a poison pill offer for Marshall.
2. We wouldn't give Marshall the kind of money he wants.
3. I don't get the infatuation with Lofa Tatupu. Please explain why he is worth a valuable 2nd round pick in a deep draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back