PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe stupid cap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

raduray

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Question for the cap experts: I keep hearing that we're spending less than the cap limit, but I thought the NFL mandated that each team spends to the cap level. Also, Pats management claims they're spending to the limit. So, what's really going on?

You have to spend a certain limit, but that doesn't include the entire cap. One thing is for sure, we aren't getting our moneys worth.

Question for the cap experts: I keep hearing that we're spending less than the cap limit, but I thought the NFL mandated that each team spends to the cap level. Also, Pats management claims they're spending to the limit. So, what's really going on?

The NFL doesn't mandate spending all the way to the cap; there's a floor (which is 89% of the cap per team, and 95% overall) over the 2013–2016 seasons (and '17–'20).

Similarly, the Pats have basically carried over every cap dollar they're allowed to carry over each year. The only way to not spend to the cap is to have money left over and not roll it over.

One thing is for sure, we aren't getting our moneys worth.
Amendola's contract helped NE push above the cap floor. Way to go Danny......first impact maneuver as a Pat

There is also a cash floor over time.

The patriots have traditionally spent almost all cap money. Now, they carry forward more.

I would note that any cap money not spent simply moves to the next year. This did not sued to be the case.

There is also a cash floor over time.

The patriots have traditionally spent almost all cap money. Now, they carry forward more.

I would note that any cap money not spent simply moves to the next year. This did not sued to be the case.

I don't think it's automatic. At the end of each season, teams must notify the NFL of how much cap space they want to roll over. Teams are no longer required to use gimmicks like giving a safety a $5M incentive for reaching 2,000 yards rushing (which doesn't get met, and thus pushes the money into the year after).

IIRC, they still are not required to roll over all remaining cap space.

Last year the cap was $123 million. Patriots spent in cash about $129,656,000 or about 105%.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/10586646/new-england-patriots-spent-free-agents-not-wisely

This year the cap is $133 million. According to my numbers thhe Patriots have spent about 95 million in 2014. They may spend another 6 to 8 million depending on how many NTLBE incentives are reached. 95 million is 71% of $133 million.

The total cap amount for the 2013 and 2014 years is $256,000,000. The Patriots have spent in cash so far in 2013 and in 2014 $224,656,000 or about 87%.

I provided 7 possible reasons for the Patriots to have 9 million or so in cap space currently at
http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=814

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back