Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maybe Sometimes People Deserve Exactly What They Ask For

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

A federal judge in New Orleans, Louisiana, has blocked a six-month federal moratorium on deepwater drilling in the Gulf.

Several dozen plaintiffs had sued President Barack Obama's administration, arguing the ban would create long-term economic harm to their businesses. Obama ordered the moratorium after the April 20 explosion of an oil rig off Louisiana that killed 11 people and triggered an underwater oil gusher.

Federal judge blocks drilling moratorium in Gulf – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
  2. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Do they REALLY need to drill? Isn't there enough oil just floating around for them to make due for 6 months?
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What do you think we should do? Stop drilling for oil? Are you prepared to stop using oil in your everyday life? What's that? No you aren't?

Oh, well then I guess that just makes you a total hypocrite, now doesn't it?

BTW, saying that these people "deserve" what happened is almost as low as when you were bashing veterans on Memorial Day.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

Excellent point! Without offshore drilling, where on earth will we find the oil to cope for six months!?
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

It's really too bad you don't know how to read, WP. So much could be avoided if you could.

I didn't say they deserved what happened earlier.....I said that MAYBE they'd deserve whatever happened in the future since they are asking for it knowing full well the dangers involved.

What happened before was unexpected. No one was aware that there were no plans for an accident that far into the seabed. Everyone was under the impression that there were either failsafe mechanisms in place to prevent such an occurance or that, if one happened, that the oil companies had the plans and the means to minimize the outcome. Now that we know that to be totally untrue, now that we know that there is no "remedy" and no "failsafe" method of drilling in deepwater, we should, perhaps, step back and regroup before rushing back into an unsafe situation and deliberately putting more people, more wildlife and more world resources into harm's way.

A 6 month waiting period while things are sorted out and better plans are put into effect isn't asking all that much. I'm unsure that people in LA will even lose that much money over it since BP has agreed to pay salaries in the meantime. There are often people who are put out of work temporarily due to a company being closed due to federal, state or local intervention - very seldom do they get to complain or get a judge to declare they can work in spite of the danger to the rest of society. What they get is unemployment checks in the meantime. If a nursing home is closed by the state due to unsafe working conditions or health violations, the people who work there are just out of work - it's what happens sometimes. Same thing here. A bad thing for the workers, sure, but it just might save their life (or someone else's) somewhere down the road.

As for "stopping drilling for oil," you are aware that there are several other sources of oil besides deepwater drilling, aren't you? We can get along just fine without 6 months of deepwater oil. There are shallow water wells, land wells and foreign oil wells just like there's always been. That's not going to change. Maybe you thought that deepwater drilling was all there was, though, I don't know. It's hard to figure out what you actually grasp of the world sometimes.

Oh, and btw - I never "bashed" any veteran on Memorial Day or any other day. My dad was a vet, my uncle died in WWII, my son's father was wounded in Viet Nam and Mr. P and I have had a young soldier friend of my son's sleeping on our downstairs couch for the last several weeks while he gets his life back together.

But go ahead, keep lying through your teeth and showing everyone your true colors - you hurt no one but yourself.

What ever floats your boat.
  6. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

In news that will surprise, well, no one:

Knock me over with a feather.

Can't wait for Harry Boy to wander in here and tell us all that we should be calling this judge a racist and what a great ruling this was.
  7. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Typical cowardly liberal response. "Oh, hey, I'm not saying they get what they deserve; I'm just saying maybe they get what they deserve." Gutless and weak.
    Yeah no foolin'. And you liberals do everything you can to stop us from accessing those other sources too.

Now go back in the kitchen where you belong and make me some bacon and eggs ayyyyyyyrraarhghghghgh.
  9. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Either you have a serious eating disorder or women really frighten you.

My money's on the later.
  11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +367 / 1 / -9

12. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I hadn't read up on the judge but i just posted on another thread that i bet he had stock in big oil.....Not to much of a leap when someone takes this position aftr all thats happened.
  13. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Let them drink oil
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

What was the Constitutional basis for the ban?

What was the basis for the judges ruling?

Or is Barry a King now?
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -7

The Interior Department has the authority to regulate offshore drilling in US waters.

As near as I can tell, even this judge didn't allow the injunction on the basis that the moratorium was unconstitutional.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

They authorized drilling all the other wells have been operating safely for years, why the reversal AFTER the Horse has left the barn?

We know that BP was a big donor to the Obama administration and given waivers, but why punish workers and the companies with good safety records?
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Now now... don't get your husband's panties in a bunch... just make with the bacon and eggs ayyyyyarrrrhghghghgh.
  18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

What waivers were BP given that the other oil companies did not get, 13? I'd like to know - and I'd like to see a link to your source. And I'd like to see where Obama, personally, gave them.

As for the other oil companies being "punished," why shouldn't they be? They've already testified that they have the same identical "disaster" plan that BP has - drawn up by the same company and depending on the same assistance - which is to say, insufficient at the very least.

According to ExxonMobil, the cleanup effort launched by BP represents the best efforts of the oil companies.

The major oil companies have essentially identical regional response plans for a disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. These 500+ page plans have been approved by the Department of the Interior and outline how each company would try to stop a leak and would clean up the oil. According to Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.), in the June 15 hearing the plans are ninety percent identical. All five plans were prepared by “The Response Group.” All five refer to the same contractors for clean-up and the same sources of equipment. The covers even feature the same photographs of oil wells, although The Response Group did tint the covers a different color for each company.

The Other Oil Giants? Just as Unready as BP | Center for Media and Democracy

Four of the five companies also have extensive plans for protecting the walruses in The Gulf of Mexico, as well. (And if that doesn't tell you something, it certainly tells me something about you.)

In other words - everyone's been damn lucky so far - until recently, that is.

Are you feeling safe letting them continue drilling when they've all admitted that they have no real "plan" should something go wrong - especially when we all know just how much actually CAN go wrong?
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -13

Posted on other threads as well as links to the campaign donations Obama from BP.

Sorry not interested in fetching rock for you, try google.
  20. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +370 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

In other words, you can't back it up.

The mere fact that Obama got campaign donations from BP means nothing, 13. Every candidate gets campaign donations from BP.

You've really got to do better than that.