PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe I'm overreacting, but is it time to pull the plug on Edelman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't understand the "Cutsie" plays either. They made no sense and really were done at times that hurt the Pats offense.

While I agree that Edelman is a poor man's Welker, I disagree with your assessment that he can't catch a cold unless he's open. I think that he showed he CAN when given the chance consistently. The problem, today, was there was no rhythm to the Pats offense. Even on the early drives, things were off.

Something else I didn't see a lot of today, was audibles by Brady. And that tells me that they didn't plan on the run game being a factor. And that's not a good thing. Also, while people were hoping to see Ocho break out today, the Pats didn't use him very well. In fact, it seemed to me that they basically ignored all the routes that Aaron Hernandez runs. Instead of having Chad run some of the same routes that Hernandez runs, they kept Chad on the outside. And they didn't use Chad down by the goal-line.

I also believe the Pats made a mistake by ignoring the long ball. Two or three attempts to Slater would have opened up the running game and passing game a bit.

There are times when the Pats coaching staff needs to step up and tell Brady that they are going to run the ball. And that they need to stick to it. Had they run Ridley some in the first half, things could have been very different for the whole game..

The other thing that was disappointing is no WR screen. FFS, use Chad on that. Use Welker on that with Chad leading. The screen is one of this teams best weapons and, again, it wasn't in the game plan, today..

I believe that Mo was referring to OchoStinko in the part I bolded. Otherwise I completely agree with the rest of the post.

My 2 cents i thought the game changed on the Woodhead interception and the same play was run later in the game with Woodhead being stopped on a 3rd three . He is a third down back and thats it instead of using Green and Ridley and pound the ball a little they seemed to have fallen in love with Woodhead.

That INT was not Woody's fault. The ball was thrown behind him & to the wrong shoulder.

A testament to Welker's greatness on Sunday: on 2 of Brady's picks, the one to Woody & the one to OchoStinko, Welker was open enough on both of them to have gained 5 yards plus the possibility of out-running his coverage for the 1st down, if not more.

That INT was not Woody's fault. The ball was thrown behind him & to the wrong shoulder.

A testament to Welker's greatness on Sunday: on 2 of Brady's picks, the one to Woody & the one to OchoStinko, Welker was open enough on both of them to have gained 5 yards plus the possibility of out-running his coverage for the 1st down, if not more.

And it's Woodhead's job to let that pass go if he can't catch it cleanly. If he doesn't touch it, it's incomplete. It was him hitting it up in the air that made it an interception.

Edelman has done VERY well when stepping in for Welker, in the Jets game as well as the Ravens gave he was targeted and he performed. That should tell you that he can get it done. Ocho has not shown that he can get it done.

That said, the lack of effective running is what poisioned out offense yesterday, I don't know why you can't see that, did your girlfriend run off with Edelman or what?

Yes, my girlfriend did run into Edelman's arms.

But he dropped her.

lol, what? He didn't do anything Sunday to warrant a thread like this. (cue the "You're right he didn't do anything...")

He performs well when he's called upon. He's our best kick/punt returner. He's probably our best guy in open space as well. This guy has insane quickness/elusiveness. It's kinda hard to get playing time when Welker/Branch are ahead of you, especially with the kinda offense the Pats are running with the 2 TE's.

Ocho, on the other hand, has done absolutely nothing. He blew his chance to redeem himself when he dropped the TD pass.

lol, what? He didn't do anything Sunday to warrant a thread like this. (cue the "You're right he didn't do anything...")

He performs well when he's called upon. He's our best kick/punt returner. He's probably our best guy in open space as well. This guy has insane quickness/elusiveness. It's kinda hard to get playing time when Welker/Branch are ahead of you, especially with the kinda offense the Pats are running with the 2 TE's.

Ocho, on the other hand, has done absolutely nothing. He blew his chance to redeem himself when he dropped the TD pass.

I can understand the argument the Edelman as a punt/ko returner justifies a roster spot, although I'm not sure I agree.

In the offense, I've seen enough Ben Watson/Sam Aiken to know it's better not to have someone on the field who won't be thrown to even if he's open due to lack of confidence. Edelman has regressed big time as a WR. I had really high hopes for him back in 2009.

I see no regression whatever, Ice Ice. I think if he were consistently on the field, he'd be hauling down plenty of throws. And the only reason he isn't is that we also have Welker.

If you want to continue to insist that Edelman is not doing well, cite your evidence.

Absolutely crazy thread.

Maybe time to pull the plug on people starting threads?

I can understand the argument the Edelman as a punt/ko returner justifies a roster spot, although I'm not sure I agree.

In the offense, I've seen enough Ben Watson/Sam Aiken to know it's better not to have someone on the field who won't be thrown to even if he's open due to lack of confidence. Edelman has regressed big time as a WR. I had really high hopes for him back in 2009.

I guess I just don't understand who you want him to replace. I don't think he's regressed at all.

He basically backs up Welker, who's the best slot WR in the league.

Than you got Branch, which has a ridiculous chemistry with Brady. When you add the fact that both Hernandez/Gronk are ahead of him on the receiving depth chart you have at best a #5 option in the offense. But that's not really a knock on Edelman as much as it is a testament to how good the other players are. Like I said, he's done well when called upon.

This is a very strange thread.

Our quarterback throws four interceptions.

Our defense gives up 27 and can't stop Buffalo.
===========
SOLUTION - Fire our punt returner!

Last edited:
Only my opinion, but I like Edelman's approach, particularly as a kick runner. He runs hard, he goes north-south and he has a chippiness to him that I just like. I think he also has talent as a receiver, but we have lots of targets right now. I could easily envision a scenario where we get some guys injured and would need him. Finally, we have some significant problem areas right now (not necessarily permanent ones), and we're questioning our kick-returner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes