Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maybe Everyone's Right

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

The global warming skeptics who cite a recent downward trend in global temperatures since 2002 may very well be pointing to evidence that global warming is already at work. Human activity may very well be speeding up a natural cycle that would usually take several centuries to evolve.

If we melt our glaciers quicker than they would normally in natural cycles, and we release enormous amounts of cool freshwater into the ocean conveyor belt, then global temperatures will plummet faster than natural systems can adapt. By adding more CO2 into the atmosphere, we are speeding up a cycle that has shown its consistency over the past 2 million years. (CO2 is a greenhouse gas; greenhouse gases trap heat)

Global warming deniers who simply state that the earth is cooling as their sole data for denial do not realize that they are making the case for global warming. After warming and melting ice that is frozen on land, earth's temperature drops because the warm ocean currents that regulate our temperatures are disrupted.

The idea that global warming can cause global cooling in the long run should make us think about whether both sides of this debate are making the same case.

Is global warming causing global cooling?

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Of course the emails from CRU reveal the AGW modelers have no idea why the Cooling has occured it is good they are finally acknowledging it. (the previous spin was that the current decade was the warmest ever).

A more reasonable explaination is that the peak of Solar activity and ElNino in sync with the PDO from 1998 have ended and we are currently seeing no start to Solar Cycle 24 which many said would lead to cooler temps.

3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

"Don't stop Believing, you have to Hoooold on to that feeeeel-eeeey-annnnn"

[​IMG]

All this is..... is higher level spin. They got there azzes handed to them, so now they're saying..... "Oh yeah, well we meant to say that your right. While there is no evidence of the globe actually warming, and the data that now says the opposite may be occurring, it only means that warming already occurred and this wacky cooling is just a by-product". :rolleyes:

Sure guys...... whatever you say. :singing:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I thought this was "Decided Science" a few years ago ? If so, why so many ifs, ands, buts and maybes.

I don't know if the earth if warming or cooling. I don't know if any change is caused partially by man. If it is partially caused by man I don't know what a small percentage decrease in emissions would do to help.

But I know one thing - they need to figure out what's happening, truthfully and honestly, before they send us all down a road to bankruptcy.

5. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No they absolutely did not. Read this very forum and you will find a bevy of evidence showing your assertion to be mind-numbingly baseless.

Try again.

6. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The greenhouse effect was decided science 200 years ago. Recent warming and increases in temperature were and are decided science.

Sounds like you don't know how science works. The great example is that we all know that gravity exists - it is a universal law - but its mechanisms are poorly understood. People need to go back to fifth grade science class in these parts. :ugh:

Look at CO2 PPM and know that the greenhouse effect is pretty much settled science and one way or another reducing CO23 is essential, regardless of where it comes from.

False choice. It happens all the time here. You can't make arguments by making fallacies and think everybody is stupid enough to overlook it.

Unless maybe you're a Republican.

7. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There are reams and reams of evidence that show this is true. It's all online, and freely available for everybody to view. Both the raw data and the methodologies. Have a go, let's see what you come up with. This should be fun.

8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

What time frame are you looking at? This matters a lot. Please be specific.

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Mother Nature............:)

10. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Certainly going farther back than the 4500 years in that asinine graph you recently posted. :rofl:

11. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

And of course, it's still pretty damn warm.

2007 Was Tied As Earth's Second Warmest Year

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

GISS is fighting a FOIA request cause their data is fudged, has to do with ground station placement and how they caculate offsets. I will give you the particulars when I geet home this evening. Hansen is dishonest too.

13. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

In lieu of data and arguments PF13 invents bogeymen and never vets his claims.

Sorry dude, it's totally over. Your position is completely laughable. You're going to posst more junk science and it will only take a quick internet search to find scores of real scientists pointing out what an idiot you are.

Seriously, your last attempt was a totally self-taught guy and a weatherman. Have you no self-respect?

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

But, but but.....it snowed ALOT in the Midwest so that can't possibly be right.

They must have fudged those figures. THey must have counted the whole world instead of just the parts that mattered.

Like us.

15. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

How prescient. Of course PF13 will ignore this post from earlier:

That's 4 disparate groups with similar finding. Yet PF13 is trying to tell us that it's all made up, and what's more insulting is that he'll accuse the people listening to the science of being religious about it. Of course it's his own fervent and religious belief in conspiracy that he's talking about. The irony will be lost on him, I'm sure.

16. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Smells like panic in here.

ALL IS WELL
    [​IMG]
    REMAIN CALM

Face it, we don't know what the hell the earth is doing, or whether we're causing it or not. Let's not continue the arrogance to pretend that we're more then a flea on this dog's azz of a planet.

17. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Sounds like somebody doesn't know what the word panic means.

We know pretty well. Is it perfect? No, but if you think natural science is ever perfect you need to go back to school.

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. We've got areas that are still uninhabitable thanks to nuclear testing in the 50s. Chernobyl is still uninhabitable. But you somehow claim that 6 billion people with too much technology doesn't much influence the earth? It's f*cking trivial to show otherwise. :ugh:

18. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

So let me get this straight - someone responds with facts and figures to someone else who's done the same thing and they respond back and so forth and so on and yet one is panicking and the others are not?

19. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Fine, you believe....... I'm skeptical........... So what. It's apparent that the "Green Movement" is just as much about $$ as anything else. It's apparent that data from one of the most respect "climate" groups in the world was manipulated, and possibly covered up. Plus there is evidence that the peer review process was atypical. Oh yeah, the raw data used, and could be re-evaluated if available, WAS THROWN OUT. If it was a conservative issue, you'd be FREAKING OUT. Don't pretend to deny it.

Go ahead and pretend that's not a big deal if you want, but it really is. Disclaimer. Check my record too, I've actually been fairly liberal on environmental issues here in the past. With this new stuff, and the increasing $$ angle to it, I've really got a sour taste in my mouth for the way this is playing out. Watching people spin this as something is not helping. Smells like cheap politics right now. I don't like science and politics mixing. Call me silly.

The earth might be warming, and it might not be. We might be causing it (or accelerating a natural process), or we might not be...... My point is we (you and I) don't know for sure because it appears as if people ARE LYING HERE, and they are people who are supposed to be above that.

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

They want Global Warming to be true so they can BLAME THE DIRTY CAPITALIST CHRISTIAN AMERICANS.

Boob Gore wants you all to ride bikes, wear sweaters, and drive around in little toy cars while he flys all over the world in his Private Jet making $$$$$$ millions.

Gore knew what he was doing when he latched onto this "Global Warming Bullsh!t" Fame And Money.