Maybe Branch should follow Steeler's players footsteps

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
POSTED 1:17 p.m. EDT, September 4, 2006 Profootballtalk.com

ANOTHER STEELER GIVES A HOMETOWN DISCOUNT

There's a new dynamic playing out in the Steel City. After an era in which plenty of guys parlayed Pittsburgh stardom into free-agent paydays elsewhere, some players are taking less than what they might have gotten on the open market to stick around with the Steelers.

Last week, running back Willie Parker opted to cash in the chips from a breakout sophomore season with a deal far less valuable than what he would have seen on the open market, if he continued to play in 2006 and 2007 as he did in 2005.

Now, cornerback Ike Taylor has traded in his one-year $1.573 million restricted free agent tender for a five-year, $22.5 million deal with a $6.4 million signing bonus.

The last corners to sign long-term extensions with the Steelers were Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington, two of the first guys who got a taste of the new revenue streams flowing from the team's Heinz Field digs. Scott signed a six-year, $24 million deal with a $5.4 million signing bonus, and Washington signed a five-year, $19.8 million with a $5.2 million signing bonus.

The difference is that the deals signed by Scott and Washington were closer in line with the then-existing market for high-level cornerbacks. In 2001, Ronde Barber re-signed with the Bucs on the brink of free agency; he got a six-year, $24 million contract with a $7 million signing bonus

Five years later, Taylor's deal falls short of the six-year, $32 million contract and $10 million signing bonus paid to cornerback Brian Williams, who jumped from the Vikings to the Jaguars.

For Taylor, who became a 15-game starter in 2005 and also brings that Lombardi Trophy experience for which some teams will overpay, he likely would have gotten something more in line with the Williams deal if Taylor had played out the 2006 season and become a free agent.

Sure, the Steelers could have slapped the franchise tag on Taylor next year. But the organization rarely uses the thing; linebacker Jason Gildon is the last player on whom the restriction was used, back in 2002. Plus, with truly indispensable safety Troy Polamalu on deck to become a free agent in 2008, the Steelers might not have wanted to be in a position to use the tag two years in a row.

We're not faulting Taylor for taking less now than he might have gotten later. He has traded in the 2006 injury risk for a big-money deal. But, just as we said last week regarding Parker, we don't want to hear Taylor or his agent crying about how he has "outperformed" his contract if, as the cap continues to climb into 2008, 2009, or 2010 guys of equal or lesser talent are making a lot more money than Taylor.

Taylor has signed his name to a deal that arguably is more fair to the team than it is to the player, and Taylor needs to be prepared to honor it.

Meanwhile, it remains to be seen whether other Steelers will follow suit in the future. Polamalu could blow out the market for safeties, if he chooses to do so. And in 2010, Ben Roethlisberger will be in line to hit the market, in his prime.

For both players, use of the franchise tag is a no-brainer. But in order to keep these guys over the long haul, the Steelers likely will need them to be willing to take less than they might have seen elsewhere.

Just like Parker and Taylor have done.

or Bucaneers D .. Brooks and Barber and i think Rice all took less than they are worth to play together since they are a dominant D

No,

Branch wants to trade in the injury risk and blowoff his existing contract!

Did I read this right?Chad Scott signed a 6 year deal? When was this.I thought he was on OUR Roster?.Wtf?

Patriots4Ever said:
Did I read this right?Chad Scott signed a 6 year deal? When was this.I thought he was on OUR Roster?.Wtf?
Read carefully now.

"The last corners to sign long-term extensions with the Steelers were Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington."

Last edited:
Kdo5 said:
Read carefully now.

"The last corners to sign long-term extensions with the Steelers were Chad Scott and Dewayne Washington."

Reread..Sorry about that..Im just so anxious for the darn season to start!

Add Jon Runyan of the Eagles.

"On why he chose the Eagles over the New York Jets:

“I think it was, more than anything, that I am at a point in my life where I have made a lot of money and I am very comfortable there. It was a situation, where I talked about it with my wife and my family for a couple of years, knowing that this was going to happen eventually. It got to a point where I went up there for a visit and on the way back I was thinking about whether I really wanted to be away from my family and miss all the moments. My kids are playing sports, spending time with my wife and that kind of thing. Did I really want to put a bounty on their head? How much does it cost to get me away from that and pay for that time? I just didn’t want to deal with it. I sat down with the Eagles and worked things out and it made me a little more comfortable and being in this situation, everyone knew I was going to call this my home, so now that this happened, it’s real comfortable I don’t have to deal with the time, travel, and that type of thing. That was the biggest part of the whole decision.â€

On whether he could have gotten more money to go to the Jets:

“I probably could have. We really didn’t get deep into the negotiations. I probably could have gotten more money elsewhere, but I kept myself within driving distance. We never really went out west or down south. I stayed here, so I only have a 20 minute drive to work everyday.â€"

http://www.footballstories.com/articles/detail.asp?ArtID=313

Management 101: Motivating and Retaining Key Staff

Mike the Brit said:
Add Jon Runyan of the Eagles.

"On why he chose the Eagles over the New York Jets:

“I think it was, more than anything, that I am at a point in my life where I have made a lot of money and I am very comfortable there. It was a situation, where I talked about it with my wife and my family for a couple of years, knowing that this was going to happen eventually. It got to a point where I went up there for a visit and on the way back I was thinking about whether I really wanted to be away from my family and miss all the moments. My kids are playing sports, spending time with my wife and that kind of thing. Did I really want to put a bounty on their head? How much does it cost to get me away from that and pay for that time? I just didn’t want to deal with it. I sat down with the Eagles and worked things out and it made me a little more comfortable and being in this situation, everyone knew I was going to call this my home, so now that this happened, it’s real comfortable I don’t have to deal with the time, travel, and that type of thing. That was the biggest part of the whole decision.â€

On whether he could have gotten more money to go to the Jets:

“I probably could have. We really didn’t get deep into the negotiations. I probably could have gotten more money elsewhere, but I kept myself within driving distance. We never really went out west or down south. I stayed here, so I only have a 20 minute drive to work everyday.â€"

http://www.footballstories.com/articles/detail.asp?ArtID=313

Management 101: Motivating and Retaining Key Staff

Guys like Branch are cut from the same mold as Law, Milloy, Woody, Vinitraitor. For these greedy SOB's, is all about the almighty $, regardless the fact they've already made more than what an average NFL player would make in their career. In the end, they rot away into oblivion.

Has anyone heard of what Lawm Milloy, Woody have done the past 2-3 yrs ? nope.....nada. Good ol Damien Woody has to be loving his cash - enjoy it in that ****hole called Detroit.

Whereas,,,,the true Patriots remain guys like Brady, Troy, Rodney, Sey, Bruschi. For them, its about the championships.

DB may be overreaching, but let's keep in mind that he's one injury from having nothing...top dollar may be one of his goals, but I suspect that the guarantee money means even more. On that score, I sympathize with all young players.

Has anyone ever considered that players don't particularly like New England?

Seriously...All you ever hear them say is how it's a business.

The nature of how BB runs the team I would think makes it difficult for players to grow emotionally fond.

Plus New England isn't exactly where a pro athelete would stay after they retire...

Maybe we just need to accept that it is simply a place of employment.

KDPpatsfan said:
Has anyone ever considered that players don't particularly like New England?

Seriously...All you ever hear them say is how it's a business.

The nature of how BB runs the team I would think makes it difficult for players to grow emotionally fond.

Plus New England isn't exactly where a pro athelete would stay after they retire...

Maybe we just need to accept that it is simply a place of employment.

Yes, I have considered this. There was a story recently -- sorry, I can't find it with Google -- that Troy Polamalu has moved to Pittsburgh (from California!) so that he could train with the team all the year round. Now I'm not a New Englander, but I've been to New England and I've been to Pittsburgh ...

I think that there is a real issue here. Some players, certainly, are all about the bucks, but clearly not all and, since the organization has prided itself on recruiting "Patriots-type players" it needs to ask itself some serious questions.

My guess is that it has less to do with the fact that BB doesn't give out the kind of hugs and cuddles that **** Vermeil or Herm Edwards do and more to do with the way that the Patriots are PERCEIVED as dealing with salary negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back