PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe Brady should call Philip Rivers for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightningbolt

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Philip Rivers also had a complete ACL tear, which is what I've heard Brady has. And, the amazing thing about Rivers is that even though he was injured in January, he managed to heal back fast enough to make it to Chargers Mini camp in May, which is only 5 months. Normally, it takes 9-12 months to heal from a complete ACL tear. And, if there's any doubt that Rivers has fully healed, you should check out the highlights of him from yesterday's game. Even though we lost, he played great and was more mobile than he's ever been in his career. So, if Brady wants some advice on how to heal faster so he can fully recover by the Patriot's next mini camp, then maybe he should call Philip Rivers and ask him what he did to heal.

Philip Rivers also had a complete ACL tear, which is what I've heard Brady has. And, the amazing thing about Rivers is that even though he was injured in January, he managed to heal back fast enough to make it to Chargers Mini camp in May, which is only 5 months. Normally, it takes 9-12 months to heal from a complete ACL tear. And, if there's any doubt that Rivers has fully healed, you should check out the highlights of him from yesterday's game. Even though we lost, he played great and was more mobile than he's ever been in his career. So, if Brady wants some advice on how to heal faster so he can fully recover by the Patriot's next mini camp, then maybe he should call Philip Rivers and ask him what he did to heal.

I remember a Rivers interview where he said he told his doctors that he wanted to be ready in time for training camp, and they laid out for him what he'd have to do, and he worked extremely hard at it to meet their requirements. Brady is well known as one of the hardest working players in the league, I have no doubt that if he is hurt that badly, he'll work as hard as possible to get back into top form.

Would really be relevant if Tom is ready in February instead of June?

I remember a Rivers interview where he said he told his doctors that he wanted to be ready in time for training camp, and they laid out for him what he'd have to do, and he worked extremely hard at it to meet their requirements. Brady is well known as one of the hardest working players in the league, I have no doubt that if he is hurt that badly, he'll work as hard as possible to get back into top form.

Yea, I think I know which article you're referring to. There are two ways to repair a complete ACL tear: either replace it with a ligament from a corpse, or replace it with a ligament from another part of your leg which is not important. If you choose the former option, it will be a less painful recovery but will take much longer, whereas if you choose to replace it with another ligament from your leg then the healing process will go much faster but will be very painful. Rivers chose the second option and said that in the initial weeks he went through a lot of pain but he worked hard every day to exercise his knee and help the ligament to adapt to his leg. He was in the Chargers training camp every day working with his trainers and doctors and they said that he was there so much, and always asking them questions that it was irritating them. But, that's what Brady has to do if he wants to heal and come back much faster. I'm sure if he called Philip Rivers, he'd let him know all the types of exercises and techniques he used to recover faster, since many quarterbacks in the NFL call each other and hang out.

It's relevant because Tom, as Rivers did, might be able to play on it if it is "just" and ACL tear and then be ready for next season after having reconstructive surgery after the SB (if they make it...again).

8 Months. He'll be 100% by training camp.

If Brady calls Philip Rivers, the first questions should be, "Carolina?? Seriously....What the F.............."

Yea, it would actually. You don't want him to have a lingering injury in June. It's better to get healed faster so that by the time it's mini camp he's back in top form and ready to roll. Remember that Carson Palmer played bad the season after he got that knee injury, since it was still bothering him going into the season. So, if he had healed faster, then it wouldn't have been a problem and the Bengals would have played better that season. You don't want Brady to be unsure about his knee going into the 2009 season; trust me.

It's relevant because Tom, as Rivers did, might be able to play on it if it is "just" and ACL tear and then be ready for next season after having reconstructive surgery after the SB (if they make it...again).

Brady can probably play on it, but it wouldn't be wise for him to do so since the season just started. The only reason why Rivers played with a torn ACL was because it was the AFC championship game and his team needed him. If he had gotten hit hard on his knee, it could have been a career ending injury. Luckily, that didn't happen to Rivers but the chances that it will happen to Brady if he plays the entire season are very high, so it's not wise for him to play with a torn ACL. He should just get the surgery now and work on healing for the next season.

I thought about Rivers after this happened. Looks like a similar situation.

8 Months. He'll be 100% by training camp.

If Brady calls Philip Rivers, the first questions should be, "Carolina?? Seriously....What the F.............."

LOL. It wasn't really Rivers' fault, since he played great; 3 touchdowns, no interceptions, 17/27 with 217 yards. The reason why we lost was because our defense couldn't get Carolina off the field. Their offense had twice as much time of possession as ours.

Given that he is a quarterback, if Brady gets proper treatment from the best physicians in the world and works his ass off, I think he might be able to play in January or February, if the Patriots are still playing. I fully expect him to work toward that.

Now, the load is on the other 52 players to get the team there. They have one W in the bank, which helps, and have an opportunity for another this week.

LOL. It wasn't really Rivers' fault, since he played great; 3 touchdowns, no interceptions, 17/27 with 217 yards. The reason why we lost was because our defense couldn't get Carolina off the field. Their offense had twice as much time of possession as ours.

Seriously, what the hell happened to your defense? No offense, but they looked like garbage yesterday. That last drive was atrocious, even with the bad clock management Carolina looked like they were in total control.

It's pretty remarkable that Rivers didn't really miss significant time despite having a "season ending" injury. Good luck (in all honesty) to Merriman in that same regard.

I think Brady should just listen to his doctor. Not some punk QB.

It's pretty remarkable that Rivers didn't really miss significant time despite having a "season ending" injury. Good luck (in all honesty) to Merriman in that same regard.

Rivers is still not 100%. I don't think he is hurting, but the footwork under his throws is not the same as pre-injury. He has a big arm and you have to respect him not taking any time off, but you have to wonder if he will be able to get back to normal this year.

Merriman is a mess. He still can move fast in a straight line but not much else. Unlike Rivers, he has no chance of getting better this year.

At least Brady has the chance to take a full 12 months to recover. Without knowing the full extent of the injury, that will hopefully give him the time he needs to get back to pre-injury form...and there really is no substitute for time in this case.

Last edited:

He played without his ACL against the Pats in the playoffs. That guy's got guts I have to admit.

Its 9-12 months for a full recovery. People are up and walking and doing rehab within a few weeks of the surgery. After 5 months, you should be up and being able to participate in mini camp since you don't actually do much.

Seriously, what the hell happened to your defense? No offense, but they looked like garbage yesterday. That last drive was atrocious, even with the bad clock management Carolina looked like they were in total control.

True, we made Delhomme look like Brady with that last drive he engineered. The main cause for our problems is that Stephen Cooper, our best ILB is out for the first four games and his replacement sucks big time. Also, Shawne Merriman and Jamal Williams are both playing injured. So, given the fact that our front 7 was banged up, Carolina took advantage of us by throwing up the middle and getting shorter gains rather than throwing to either Cromartie or Jammer at the CB positions. The vast majority of the yards they got were from passes to the middle of the field where they could exploit our weaknesses at ILB and safety. Also, since Merriman was injured, we had difficulty getting pressure on their QB, which enabled him to have more time to pass. Lastly, our defense was missing a lot of tackles which is indicative of them being rusty and needing to adjust to the game again after a long offseason.

He played without his ACL against the Pats in the playoffs. That guy's got guts I have to admit.

Yea, and the way he was playing yesterday proved that. The biggest hurdle for quarterbacks to overcome after an injury like that is being able to trust their leg again and not be scared to step into throws and generally take risks. Both Carson Palmer and Donovan McNabb played scared after coming back from their injuries even though they were both fully healed; it took some time for them to get over their fears. On the other hand, Rivers was playing aggressive yesterday; stepping into throws even when he knew he was gonna get hit hard, and taking lots of hits but completing passes. So, I'm confident that Rivers will be fine mentally, and he looks healthy physically. In fact, I think his arm strength and speed improved quite a bit.

I think Brady should just listen to his doctor. Not some punk QB.

Rivers isn't a punk. He's gotten a negative reputation just from a few clips of him shown on ESPN where he was mouthing off to fans. If you know Rivers, then you'd know that he's a very religious guy who doesn't use foul language. Just like when he was walking off the field after his torn ACL injury in the Colts playoff game and he was talking to the Colts fans who were jeering at him as he walked into the locker room, all he was saying was "Thank you! I appreciate it! I'll be back!" So, does that sort of thing deserve him the title of a punk? If so, then you must have a very strict definition of morality. Besides, this is NFL; when did it become wrong for NFL players to talk smack? That makes the game more fun in my opinion. I would love to have Tom Brady or some other quarterback talk trash to me while I'm in the stands of Qualcomm; it would give me a memorable experience and make me respect them more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye