PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe Bill Walsh is right: after 10 years there needs to be a change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting rid of BB would be the biggest mistake in the history of Boston professional sports, in my opinion.

Re: Maybe Bill Walsh is right....

Holy crap, no kidding. Just take the last 3 seasons:

2009 - 10-6, won division title, lost in WC round
2010 - 14-2, won division title, lost in divisional round
2011 - 5-2, tied for 1st place

I know the playoff success hasn't been there, but good grief. During the past 3 seasons, here's what other big-time teams have done:

Ind
2009 - 14-2, won division title, lost in SB
2010 - 10-6, won division title, lost in WC round
2011 - 0-7

NO
2009 - 13-3, won division title, won SB
2010 - 11-5, lost in WC round
2011 - 5-3

GB
2009 - 11-5, lost in WC round
2010 - 10-6, won SB
2011 - 7-0

Pit
2009 - 9-7, missed playoffs
2010 - 12-4, won division title, lost in SB
2011 - 6-2

Bal
2009 - 9-7, lost in divisional round
2010 - 12-4, lost in AFCCG
2011 - 5-2

SD
2009 - 13-3, won division title, lost in divisional round
2010 - 9-7, missed playoffs
2011 - 4-2

Phi
2011 - 3-4

Dal
2009 - 11-5, won division title, lost in divisional round
2010 - 6-10, missed playoffs
2011 - 3-4

NYJ
2009 - 9-7, lost in AFCCG
2010 - 11-5, lost in AFCCG
2011 - 4-3

I mean, sure, the Patriots are "down" right now. But the overreaction around here is astounding. They lost essentially by one score on the road to an elite team. It happens. Geez, New Orleans, just two years removed from being SB champs, got obliterated on the road at St. Louis, who was winless!! The Cowboys, who aren't bad, got mauled on the road by the Eagles.

This isn't to say there aren't problems that need to be fixed. But I think some people around here expect perfection.

this happened to the HABS fans--- expected championships- and when the team started to disintegrate little by little the expectations came down little by little- until its well atleast we made the playoffs and then its well we are over 500 and then atleast we are not the worst team--
something has to change with management here and also from Kraft-
worst D in the league which really isnt that shocking- wide recievers over the hill, slow and really doesnt scare any opp !! havnt done Zilch in playoffs for How long? Brady isnt getting any younger-only have a certain amount of time to win another one-- wont wi n with this D and the recievers-

Last edited:
Im picturing in this thread a bunch of twentysomethings who have known nothing but championships in Boston over the last ten years, who think three years is a long time in life, and no nothing about the normals sports life outside of the spoiled pansyassed confines within 128 and listening to WEEI all day. Those of us who remember, even say, the 90s, let alone the decades before, can tell you what's its like to not experience a title from 1986 through 2001, or not one playoff game for any Boston team from October 1999 through January 2002. And we can say those who piss and moan about how difficult it is to have watch the awful 5-2 Patriots, move to Cleveland you whiny little *****es.

Im picturing in this thread a bunch of twentysomethings who have known nothing but championships in Boston over the last ten years, who think three years is a long time in life, and no nothing about the normals sports life outside of the spoiled pansyassed confines within 128 and listening to WEEI all day. Those of us who remember, even say, the 90s, let alone the decades before, can tell you what's its like to not experience a title from 1986 through 2001, or not one playoff game for any Boston team from October 1999 through January 2002. And we can say those who piss and moan about how difficult it is to have watch the awful 5-2 Patriots, move to Cleveland you whiny little *****es.
I don't think its even a matter of the horrible times. I have no problem with people expecting a contender. If you can't contend consistently then you should make wholesale changes.
What is ridiculous is that this has been the best franchise for a decade, is coming off a 14 and season, started 5 and 1 and was prohibitively being called the best team in the AFC, and then they go into a road game vs the defending AFC Champ that is 5 and 2, and lose a game by 1 score, and this board is filled with:
Fire BB
What has been wrong for a long time
The players seem like they don't care

and so on.
It is actually embarrassing.

I don't think its even a matter of the horrible times. I have no problem with people expecting a contender. If you can't contend consistently then you should make wholesale changes.
What is ridiculous is that this has been the best franchise for a decade, is coming off a 14 and season, started 5 and 1 and was prohibitively being called the best team in the AFC, and then they go into a road game vs the defending AFC Champ that is 5 and 2, and lose a game by 1 score, and this board is filled with:
Fire BB
What has been wrong for a long time
The players seem like they don't care

and so on.
It is actually embarrassing.

It is, and I'm telling you some of the losing franchises in the league are praying that Kraft fires BB. You should have heard my coworker today. He's a Phin fan, the poor thing. He was just giddy at the idea that Kraft might fire BB so that the Phins could sign him IMMEDIATELY. He then went on to call Boston fans morons etc. etc. He's watching his Dolphins lose weak after weak. He told me that he knows that there is no hope, but at least my team has hope. I felt sorry for the poor thing.

Last edited:
Do people understand how historic this is for one coach to win like this over such a long period of time in the NFL? Lombardis reign only lasted 7 years. Shula was right around the top for about 15. Landry for 20. Walsh 8. Noll about 12. Do people also understand how good the Pittsburgh Steelers are?

Re: Maybe Bill Walsh is right....

Holy crap, no kidding. Just take the last 3 seasons:

2009 - 10-6, won division title, lost in WC round
2010 - 14-2, won division title, lost in divisional round
2011 - 5-2, tied for 1st place

I know the playoff success hasn't been there, but good grief. During the past 3 seasons, here's what other big-time teams have done:

Ind
2009 - 14-2, won division title, lost in SB
2011 - 0-7

NO
2009 - 13-3, won division title, won SB
2010 - 11-5, lost in WC round
2011 - 5-3

GB
2010 - 10-6, won SB
2011 - 7-0

Pit
2009 - 9-7, missed playoffs
2010 - 12-4, won division title, lost in SB
2011 - 6-2

Bal
2009 - 9-7, lost in divisional round
2010 - 12-4, lost in AFCCG
2011 - 5-2

SD
2009 - 13-3, won division title, lost in divisional round
2010 - 9-7, missed playoffs
2011 - 4-2

Phi
2011 - 3-4

Dal
2009 - 11-5, won division title, lost in divisional round
2010 - 6-10, missed playoffs
2011 - 3-4

NYJ
2009 - 9-7, lost in AFCCG
2010 - 11-5, lost in AFCCG
2011 - 4-3

I mean, sure, the Patriots are "down" right now. But the overreaction around here is astounding. They lost essentially by one score on the road to an elite team. It happens. Geez, New Orleans, just two years removed from being SB champs, got obliterated on the road at St. Louis, who was winless!! The Cowboys, who aren't bad, got mauled on the road by the Eagles.

This isn't to say there aren't problems that need to be fixed. But I think some people around here expect perfection.

Thank you for pouting this. We as Patriots fans have become so ******* spoiled it's disgusting. Look around the league people! You don't win every goddamn game every goddamn week! You all sound so pathetic! (the ones calling for the head of BB)

With that said however, there a few things amiss and I think a few changes are in order.

I especially like the idea of more checks and balances so to speak. More opinions from trusted peers who aren't afraid to tell Bill how they really feel about a situation would go a long way in my most honest opinion.

The guy is a once in a lifetime coach people. He just has too mich on his plate. Could any of YOU imagine balancing all that he is by your lonesome? I should think not!

Walsh is right, if after 10 years of watching this team win win win fans want Belichik out then they should move on. Go root for the Jets. Morons.

Walsh is right, if after 10 years of watching this team win win win fans want Belichik out then they should move on. Go root for the Jets. Morons.

How have we done in the post-season lately?

The guy is a once in a lifetime coach people. He just has too mich on his plate. Could any of YOU imagine balancing all that he is by your lonesome? I should think not!

How do you know how much is on his plate? Do you follow him around, everyone said that at the beginning of last year and we went 14-2

How do you know how much is on his plate? Do you follow him around, everyone said that at the beginning of last year and we went 14-2

A GM position is a full-time job for others in the league, doing that and being a full-time head coach, which is also more than full-time job, likely means some things are not going be to done as well as they should be.

A GM position is a full-time job for others in the league, doing that and being a full-time head coach, which is also more than full-time job, likely means some things are not going be to done as well as they should be.

He has other people working with him, he just has final say.

I don't understand why people get so blasted for approaching the Bill Belichick question exactly the way Bill Belichick would. Asking the question whether the football team would be better with a change in coaching is exactly what he would do, and he'd do it in the least sentimental way possible. I don't think as fans it's inappropriate for any of us to ask the question in exaclty the same way.

That said, my answer right now is "no way," and that he is what's best for the New England Patriots at this time. But answering the question, and entertaining it, are two different things. It's weird how loudly one can get shouted down for the ask, especially when you're talking about a guy who would dump literally anyone very uncerimoniously and without sentiment if he thought it would make the team better in the long run.

I think it's fair game to be asking the questions constantly -- week to week. I think the answer continues to be "no," but some day it might be "yes."

It makes me laugh when people talk about removing BB as if that would just right the ship. Meanwhile, everyone wonders why BB removed Meriweather, Sanders, Bodden with absolutely no one to replace him.

So, geniuses, who is going to replace him? Because he'll be snapped up in .0000000005 seconds.

All depends what you measure success.

It's completely unfair to say that the team has not won a SB since 2004, been since 2007 or have gone 0-3 in their last 3 playoff games. The problem is that it's a fact.

On the other hand, with all that said since 2005 season (inc playoffs) the team has gone 78-25 - good for best record in the NFL.

You could make an argument that BB has assembled a good regular season team/scheme and not a team built to win in the playoffs (defense that makes plays, respected running game, etc.).

Part of me does wonder if BB needs to give up one of his responsibilities. He either focuses on coaching or the FO.

I do know that if puts up a couple of crap seasons, something will need to change.

My .02$

You could make an argument that BB has assembled a good regular season team/scheme and not a team built to win in the playoffs (defense that makes plays, respected running game, etc.).

What this team is is really, really good. They have a dynamic offense and a very suspect defense. They can win in the playoffs if their offense plays up to par or if, supposing their offense plays a subpar game, the defense plays a little better than normal.

What they cannot win with is a subpar offensive game and a "normal" defensive game.

In their last two playoff games, they've had subpar offensive performances (14 pts vs. Bal, 21 pts vs. NYJ) and "normal" defensive games (33 pts vs Bal, 28 pts vs. NYJ). Thus the 0-2 record.

Now if they have a normal offensive game and an above average defensive game, nobody will touch this team, except for maybe the Packers.

I think it's fair game to be asking the questions constantly -- week to week. I think the answer continues to be "no," but some day it might be "yes."

Since you invoked Belichik it's also fair to say that if someone asked him weekly about getting rid of Brady he would look at them as if they were ******ed and treat them as ignorant, so don't be upset when many here do the same to the morons who actually entertain such an ignorant idea as getting rid of Belichik.

The patriots are the most successful team in football and getting rid of those responsible for that success is truly moronic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back