PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe Ben Watson Will be a WR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Have no issues with the TE picks. Mills will probably play FB. It not maybe a Watson experiment at WR. We now have the guys to pull it off. Don't count out a Daniel Graham trade either.

Digger44 said:
It not maybe a Watson experiment at WR. We now have the guys to pull it off.
Could be ......

why would we move him to WR? Okay his speed but he doesnt have WR quickness..and hes too valuable for us. Graham is out next yr or being traded this year..thats that. Watson is oging to be big for us at TE.

i dont care what they do with Watson as long as he is in on every play. I want the ball in his hands alot. Do not use him to block at all.

Remix 6 said:
why would we move him to WR? Okay his speed but he doesnt have WR quickness..and hes too valuable for us. Graham is out next yr or being traded this year..thats that. Watson is oging to be big for us at TE.
Uhm I said maybe. David Boston didn't have WR quickness when he was healthy. The two TE just taken are valuable as well. Watson may be bigger @ WR.

Remix 6 said:
why would we move him to WR?
Think of the matchup problems against slot DB's Watson could present ........

okay why did we waste a first rounder on Watson few years ago..he played more and more last season..graham is gone next year...pass is small for FB.. i think were using a new offense this year..using H Back..not relying on big backs and all that

Digger44 said:
Have no issues with the TE picks. Mills will probably play FB. It not maybe a Watson experiment at WR. We now have the guys to pull it off. Don't count out a Daniel Graham trade either.
Mills is a FB.

Remix 6 said:
okay why did we waste a first rounder on Watson few years ago..he played more and more last season..graham is gone next year...pass is small for FB.. i think were using a new offense this year..using H Back..not relying on big backs and all that
I have no prob with that. We can dream. I still said maybe. It would be a mismatch nightmare.

Mills is a TE who will probably have to move into the backfield in the NFL because he does not have the bulk or blocking ability to be an NFL TE. Sounds like Cooley to me. As for Graham, I think we have to keep him. How can you get rid of the best blocking TE in football, especially since like most blocking TEs he isn't one dimensional?

Remix 6 said:

You are forgetting his run to save a TD last year - he's got the speed - though I question whether he can do that play after play

I can see us using 2 & even 3 TEs at a time - with Watson going a little bit deeper than most TEs would - but not as deep as a WR normally does.

Its the yards after catch where I think Watson can make the biggest difference, but that still doesn't make him the deep threat you need from WRs to stretch the field and open up plays for TEs & RBs

Mills impresses me as 3rd down type of playmaker in the mold of Dave Meggett. He could be Kevin Faulk's replacement. Kevin coughed the ball up one too many times for his own good. Perhaps his fumble in Denver opening up a parade of turnovers that let Denver in the game and prematurely ended our 3-peat quest.

Good-bye Kevin Faulk, Hello Mills

Mills impresses me as 3rd down type of playmaker in the mold of Dave Meggett. He could be Kevin Faulk's replacement. Kevin coughed the ball up one too many times for his own good. Perhaps his fumble in Denver opening up a parade of turnovers that let Denver in the game and prematurely ended our 3-peat quest.

Good 4th round pick in my humble opinion.

Some thoughts.

Mills is the #1 fullback in the draft, and a top special teamer.

Watson is not a wide receiver. But with our TE's, we don't need six wide receivers.

Digger44 said:
there is now. lol.

Niiice! Wouldn't be surprised, either.

No, this does not mean either Graham or Watson is on the block, just as Watson's arrival did not mean Graham was on the block. Fauria's exit was not a pushing-out, but an out-bidding.

Relax, guys. It's a Belichick hallmark. I guess he was making up for not getting one first-round tight end by using 2 middle round picks. More likely, he saw both as projecting into valuable role players (1 at TE, 1 at FB, in the Pats' system.)

It's a crapshoot, guys, but the Pats tend to roll 7s and 11s more than snake eyes. Take a deeeep breath!

PFnV

Digger44 said:
did i not write that? hello?

Some people are still mad. Obviously, we need to say it many times.

Last edited:
No way does Watson play WR. No way.

He splits out into the slot all the time, but he's not going to be on the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes