PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

May the best team win

Status
Not open for further replies.

los1sol

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, colts fan here. Just wanted to stop by and say congratulations on the season you're having. Fine team you got there.

Super bowl 41 1/2 is finally here and for the better part of a week we can both enjoy the hype and the build up and have some good football talk.

Let the best team win and let's hope nobody gets seriously hurt. Even Brady, god knows I hate him.

So, how do you guys see this going down?

I see a tough game being played in the trenches. Both teams have had excellent pass protection so far, I'd say the Pats' have actually looked better. It's going to be a challenge from Freeney and Mathis to get to Brady, but hopefully big Ed Johnson (undrafted rook) will help out in flushing Brady out of the pocket a few times.

Our new corners, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden, are better than David and Harper were last year as expected. Both are taller, too, which should help against 18, but I still think he will use his height advantage to catch an improbable touch down. Hopefully Bob Sanders will be in the vicinity when this happens so he can force an incompletion or fumble.

I'm really looking forward to seeing our defense against your offense. I think it will be fascinating to watch Dungy come up with a plan to stop a powerful offense. As you know, the cover-2 is very simple. All our guys have to do is execute and execute quickly. I think games like these are great for a young defense because the less thinking they have to do, the more they can let adrenaline and instinct take over.

On the other hand, with inexperience comes jitters and mistakes. This is where I expect your defense to shine because of it's experienced veterans.

How are your tackles this year? I haven't watched too many pats games, except for the highlights, which have all been offensive plays. Have they had to sustain long drives and if so, how did they fare?

My hope is that Addai and Keith tire your defense out and force it to play slower than they'd like. Keep Brady off the field and tire you guys out. That's what I would do.

This battle will be won in the trenches and in the secondary. I fully expect the colts to give up the underneath and protect against the big play. Colts haven't allowed a 100-yard receiver since I-don't-even-remember. Will the streak continue?

I hope so. Should be a good game.

I appreciate the post/thread and wish you good injury luck, as well. It's a very exciting game, and I agree that Indy's D has improved - and NOT just b/c Bob Sanders is healthy. Seems like every "loss" at a defensive position has been upgraded, as many Colts fans told us was the case in the off-season. (We mocked them. Oops.)

That said, I think this will be a beat-down by the Patriots. People won't understand how truly dominant this team is until we do it to the Colts. We will win by two TDs. Sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks. May both teams get out of there healthy.Seems we'll be playing a couple times this year.

Our new corners, Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden, are better than David and Harper were last year as expected. Both are taller, too, which should help against 18
I think you mean 81 - although 18 isn't bad himself :)

As you know, the cover-2 is very simple. All our guys have to do is execute and execute quickly.
I look at it the other way which is why I'm very confident. A cover 2 doesn't "win" by executing well, it just forces the offense to execute well. IMO it's a very beatable defense if faced by a well executing offense - which we have.

Great post better then what a lot people that cross over put out there. i wish you that no one one either team gets hurt either. as for me i a staying as far away from the sports outlets because i think i will go on hype overload and not want to watch the game at all because of it.

I appreciate the post/thread and wish you good injury luck, as well. It's a very exciting game, and I agree that Indy's D has improved - and NOT just b/c Bob Sanders is healthy. Seems like every "loss" at a defensive position has been upgraded, as many Colts fans told us was the case in the off-season. (We mocked them. Oops.)

That said, I think this will be a beat-down by the Patriots. People won't understand how truly dominant this team is until we do it to the Colts. We will win by two TDs. Sorry.

Well, I'll say this. If the pats do manhandle the Colts, then all they hype will be true. 2 TDs? That would be impressive.

Well, I'll say this. If the pats do manhandle the Colts, then all they hype will be true. 2 TDs? That would be impressive.

A little bit of that is just bluster on my part, but I do think the Pats are going to play well. And I think cover 2 is a bad match for this offense.

My biggest concern going into this game is the healthy of Kyle Brady. What about you guys?

Last edited:
I'm expecting a very tight game. It's one thing to blow out some of the teams we've been playing, but Indy is a whole other story. If I were an Indy fan, my main concern would be about whether the Colts come prepared. new England always jumps out to a lead against you guys, but this year they can go toe-to-toe with your offense the rest of the game.

I am very concerned about the Colts as a Patriots fan. Anything can happen. Moss can be neutralized. Welker and Stallworth can have bad games. We've added Rodney and Adalius to the D we trotted out last year, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll be able to stop them.

I think this will be tighter than the Dallas game for sure, and I note that Dallas had a lead on the Patriots in the 3rd quarter. This game will go tight into the 4th quarter, I believe.

Phew, it's been a while since we've gotten a fan from another team in here who isn't a troll before the game (and then subsequently disappears after it). I think this is going to be a good close game between the NFL's two premier teams. Your right, I too hope that both teams come out of here injury free.

As for the result, I see the Pats winning by 7-10 points but it should be a good game.

Last edited:
Problem with the Cover 2 is that Stallworth, Welker, and Faulk all have the ability to produce big yards after catch, and Stallworth in particular has shown that he can break off safeties for huge gains. Giving up the underneath routes doesn't mean stopping the big plays against this team. Not to mention the fact that 2 safeties against Moss is a battle that Moss has won consistently this year.

I really think it will come down to the individual play of the Colts' defense. If their secondary can tackle and break up passes consistently vs. our offense, and disrupt Brady's timing so he can't lead the WRs as well as he usually does, I think the Colts have a pretty good chance to win. I don't see our D stopping Manning consistently enough to rely on D alone. In spite of their numbers, I think the Colts' D will be pretty effective against our running game...just a gut feeing due to their speed.

i don't care who the "best team" is... i just want the pats to win.

A little bit of that is just bluster on my part, but I do think the Pats are going to play well. And I think cover 2 is a bad match for this offense.

My biggest concern going into this game is the healthy of Kyle Brady. What about you guys?

Marvin Harrison' knee is a concern. He was kept on a play count in Jacksonville in hopes of improvement but when it didn't happen Dungy pulled him from last week's game. Hopefully, he's 100% now.

OLB Freddie Keiaho (concussion) and rookie LT Tony Ugoh (shoulder) were also kept out of last week's game for the same reason.

CB Marlin Jackson, who's been a beast so far, was shaken up last week as was Tyjuan Hagler, our new OLB. Both are expected to play on Sunday.

Bob Sanders is 100% healthy.

Last edited:
And I think cover 2 is a bad match for this offense.
I assume you mean that from a defensive standpoint - that for the Patriots, our offense matches up well with a Cover 2 ? If so I agree with you. If not I don't.

I live in Indianapolis .:p

Please me more specific when you talk about the doublewide you inhabit in Mars Hill.

I will say it staight up.. I am not downplaying anything. Fear? ABSOLUTELY. This is a much bigger game for Indy then NE. If we don't get home field I doubt we are able to go into Gillette and win . We could get plastered Sunday... as in embarrassed. who is downplaying this?

Problem with the Cover 2 is that Stallworth, Welker, and Faulk all have the ability to produce big yards after catch, and Stallworth in particular has shown that he can break off safeties for huge gains. Giving up the underneath routes doesn't mean stopping the big plays against this team. Not to mention the fact that 2 safeties against Moss is a battle that Moss has won consistently this year.

I really think it will come down to the individual play of the Colts' defense. If their secondary can tackle and break up passes consistently vs. our offense, and disrupt Brady's timing so he can't lead the WRs as well as he usually does, I think the Colts have a pretty good chance to win. I don't see our D stopping Manning consistently enough to rely on D alone. In spite of their numbers, I think the Colts' D will be pretty effective against our running game...just a gut feeing due to their speed.

Good point regarding our secondary. We need to break up passes. Tackling is not a concern as our DBs are made to order in that department. Welker and Stallworth will get theirs and that has me worried as well. The key is disrupting Brady enough that he makes a mistake. Our linemen need to force turnovers.

I don't think we'll be able to play cover 2 and hope to contain your offense just by tackling well and not giving up the big play because Brady is adept at dinking and dunking and we know he can do it even if he hasn't done it much recently. Plus, the screen pass to Faulk is something I'm sure we'll be seeing as well.

I have a feeling Belichick is going to test our corners early so they have to be ready to pick off any floaters. I know every one talks about how great Bob Sanders is in run support--and with good reason--but he is just as valuable in coverage. The guy is 5'8'' but when he leaps in the air and gets his hand on the ball, good things happen. Watch for it.

On offense, I sure hope Marvin is back and not just as a decoy. Everyone talks about Dungy v. Bellichick and Manning v. Brady. But how about seeing Marvin v. Moss? I think Marvin is still pissed about the AFCCG so look for some crips route-running in this one to burn Samuel.

Wayne will get his, as he has all season. The guy is having a very good year. As is Dallas Clark, who I think might lead the team in TDs. So far no team has been able to cover him but I think Adalius Thomas might be able to contain him.

Gonna need Joseph Addai to pound the rock all day and beat your defense into submission. Lawrence Maroney is going to meet the new Colts defense. Should be a pleasant introduction.

Btw, what's up Maroney this year?

Btw, what's up Maroney this year?

Nothing. He has had a bad hammy. When he has played, he has been good.

Why do defenses not pop Clark in the mouth on the line and knock him down. I know he splits wide sometimes, but if he lines up as a tight end, why not hit him in the mouth? Same thing when he lines up in the slot or wide?

Wouldn't that throw off Manning's timing...

Welcome, Los1sol - - great stuff from you.

This is the game. I have enormous respect for the Colts - - can't believe they (and their fans) wouldn't be ticked that the media has pretty much overlooked them copmpared to the Pats this year. They have won 12 straight, they are the Champs and they have won two tough road games the past two weeks in very impressive fashion.........and they are 4.5 point underdogs.

This is the way I felt in 2004 when the Pats were steamrolling as Champs in the midst of the 21 game winning streak, and all the national media could talk about were the Colts. I guess we could say the tables have turned a bit.

That being said, Maroney is nowhere near the RB he was last January. In the AFCCG he was running with his left arm practically taped down and clearly was flinching away from contact. This year, he had a bad groin for a few weeks, but is now well rested and has been averaging over 5 yards per carry the past two weeks. More impressively is how tough and aggressive he ran last Sunday against a normally very stout Washington D. I believe it truly was the key to the game. The Pats established the run early, with Maroney running it right up the gut (instead of his sometimes unsuccessful "french pastry" running). This punch in the mouth early took the Skins out of their D gameplan and they were in trouble the moment they realized that they would have to pay equal attention to the run and not take it for granted. This basically was too much for them to handle.

In a nutshell, Maroney looks quite healthy now and he is rested. This is the first Pats-Colts game in memory where the Patriots were not the more injured team.

That being said, the Colts deserve all the credit in the world and they too could go 16-0.

Nothing. He has had a bad hammy. When he has played, he has been good.

Why do defenses not pop Clark in the mouth on the line and knock him down. I know he splits wide sometimes, but if he lines up as a tight end, why not hit him in the mouth? Same thing when he lines up in the slot or wide?

Wouldn't that throw off Manning's timing...

Oh, they do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vTi4H6qiQ

He just keeps getting up after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill