Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maxine Waters: After 1000 Days and $1.3 Million, Most Powerful Black Woman in Congres

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

I bolded the last paragraph just to point out that the Tea Party, which is often accused of being racist, actually exonerated so far 5 of the 8 people they were investigating, all of whom happened to be black.

Maxine Waters: After 1000 Days and $1.3 Million, Most Powerful Black Woman in Congress ExoneratedPolitical News and Opinion from a Multicultural Point of View | Political News and Opinion from a Multicultural Point of View

After nearly three years and over a million dollars spent, the House Ethics Committee has exonerated Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) in the matter of a seemingly never ending ethics investigation that has featured many twists and turns.

The Waters probe has included an outside counsel and six members of the Committee recusing themselves from the investigation. In general terms, the way the investigation proceeded featured several unprecedented moments — particularly with regard to hiring an outside counsel at taxpayer expense.

Rep. Waters sat with her husband, Sidney Williams, and her Chief of Staff, who is also her grandson, Mikhail Moore, testified to the committee. Ethics Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) announced the exoneration yet indicated the three plus year investigation may continue on Waters’ chief of staff.

At the time Waters’ investigation was launched in November 2009, all eight active ethics investigations by either the House Ethics Committee or the new Office of Congressional Ethics were on Black members of Congress. Five of the eight Black members being investigated in late 2009 have now been exonerated.
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +598 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Re: Maxine Waters: After 1000 Days and $1.3 Million, Most Powerful Black Woman in Con

They spent all that money investigating something the people in the Obama administration have been doing regularly for the last 4 years. Seriously ... we need a cap on these witch hunts ... all they do is pad people's wallets. Billy Martin made a name for himself thanks to Monica Lewinsky - he is a political version of an ambulance chaser.
  3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Re: Maxine Waters: After 1000 Days and $1.3 Million, Most Powerful Black Woman in Con

It's dirty politics. Sarah Palin went through how many ethics investigations that were exonerated? I'm endorsing Palin(not fan of either Waters or Palin) by any means but these witch hunts are politically motivated, not racially motivated.
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

This is an area we often tread thoughtlessly through. When one makes distinctions between politics, race and religion, they risk being forced to answer the question, "Where does one begin and the other(s) end?"

Pretty often, we have posters ask why some thread isn't in the Religion Forum because the theme drifts into that area. If you think about it, there's lots of overlap between race and politics. Why is it we don't have a "Race Forum"? This looks like a witch hunt that's both racially and politically motivated if my opinion means anything...and it does!
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I meant to say I'm not a fan of Palin or Waters. Aside from Waters, I'm not aware of what other African Americans were investigated but when polarizing figures like Waters and Palin open their traps they invite investigations or any other means partisans resort to, to get rid of them.
  6. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +283 / 4 / -9

Waters' hand in the mortgage mess is 2nd only franks
  7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

That is why the Republican Controlled House exhonerated her;););)
  8. 1960Pats

1960Pats Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 6 / -12

#75 Jersey

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

Always find it amusing that we spent more money and time on Clinton's "sexual proclivities and urges" than we did on 9-11...

Now the House has spent 1000 days and 1.3 million on Maxine Waters, and found nothing..

The Republicans need to pick better battles..
  10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

For the most part I agree with you but I can't imagine Republicans investigating any politician who happens to be a minority where the race card won't be played by some degree.
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +192 / 7 / -23

Can you imagine that 5 of the 8 people they investigated were black, coincidence???

Considering that they have chosen to investigate 20% of the black members of the house, and less than 1% of white members, some might conclude that this is profiling..
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not dismissing that at all. That's why I said I agreed with him for the most part. I'm not familiar with the investigations so I have no idea which of them were valid if any. My point is I think the race card will automatically be played by some degree whenever Republicans investigate a minority. In a sense that is profiling Republicans.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  13. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

IIRC, actually all 8 ( the other 3 being Rep. Shelley Berkley, Michael Grimm and Rob Andrews) represent urban areas/suburban areas so maybe those Congressman are more likely to have ethical issues versus the rural Congressmen. There may be be other factors than the race one exclusively though I'm not denying it may play some role.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Why would "rural" Congressmen be more virtuous?
  15. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Stay tuned for reasons that pubbies convened an all-male panel to explain women's health and why we shouldn't cover it.

[​IMG]
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Nothing To See Here - Naked Gun - YouTube
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. - YouTube
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That picture is kind of telling. On the one hand 100% of them are men. On the other hand 20% of them are black. Accidental ad challenging the GOP racist stereotype? :rolleyes:
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Imagine if they had been all white? That was NOT going to happen. Too cartoonish.
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yeah but if they wanted to plant someone in there for the photo op it would have been a woman.