PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maualuga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freelancers can not make it in the BB defense. He will not tolerate it in his defense. I question Rey's tackling ability and his intrelligence, but other than those 3 things, he seems like an ideal fit for the BB defense.

PS: If Goff can run as fast as Rey, then spending Oakland's third round pick on a monster from the SEC with tons of intelligence, seems a better pick.

I do know that Lua worked with Maualuga, and helped him learn the correct way to film study, and they were best friends. I mention this because I'm sure he'll give BB & Pioli all the inside info they need.

Rey can freelance, but that's within USC's system, where they allow him to freelance. I'm not saying it's a given, but I'd expect Rey to play within the Patriots system, and be effective. I do understand your bringing it up though.

However, I don't think you're correct about his tackling. I've watched him a number of times, and I think he's a strong tackler, who drives and wraps. He also possesses a large amoung of physical strength for an ILB prospect.

You really think Jon's making it to the third round? I personally think he's going mid-second, or earlier. I've been saying for awhile that he's been extremely underrated on this site (I think he's one of the top 3 ILB's in the country), and not many of the posters here even mention him.

Seau is a HOF player, sometimes he is asked to play in a short zone or trail a RB but not very often does he cover a TE.

I like Maualuga and if he gave us two downs as a rookie I would be thrilled.

With a top-10 pick, I think you should be picking a player that has HOF possibilities, a la Richard Seymour. That's the caliber of the talent we should be targeting. If Maualuga projects as a two-down LB, we shouldn't be taking him in the top-10. I cant say, either way.

One trap I'm trying to avoid is talking myself into believing that a player like Maualuga (or Laurinaitis) has elite potential, just because it's a need not because of any facts.

I'd rather take the HOF player at a position we dont need than waste it on the best LB just because we're desperate... even if that means drafting another DT or whatever.

Damn San Francisco for winning meaningless games. I'm thinking more and more that Chris Long should have been a Patriot.

With a top-10 pick, I think you should be picking a player that has HOF possibilities, a la Richard Seymour. That's the caliber of the talent we should be targeting. If Maualuga projects as a two-down LB, we shouldn't be taking him in the top-10. I cant say, either way.

One trap I'm trying to avoid is talking myself into believing that a player like Maualuga (or Laurinaitis) has elite potential, just because it's a need not because of any facts.

I'd rather take the HOF player at a position we dont need than waste it on the best LB just because we're desperate... even if that means drafting another DT or whatever.

Damn San Francisco for winning meaningless games. I'm thinking more and more that Chris Long should have been a Patriot.

I think HOF is a stretch for any draft pick, for the top ten being a consistent starter is a minimum, and pro bowl in the first five years is realistic.

I pegged Rey around 25-40, not top 10. Your point is valid, if the Pats pick in the top 10 I would look hard at OT for an impact player.

IMO BB's philosophy is more flexible than some suspect: He is willing to overlook alot if a player is coachable, has elite physical talent, a fearless attitude and a true love of the game. Right now I can't really say if Maualuga has those attributes. After the combine we'll know more, and through Lua, Seau and personal interviews the Pats will know the rest of it.

The three biggest freelancing linebackers I've seen in my life are Lawrence Taylor, Junior Seau, and LaVar Arrington. Belichick has coached two of them. Granted, they're both Hall-of-Famers, but if the player is talented enough, Belichick will draft him and work with him.

Nice interception by Maualuga.

Yes he can blitz and yes the kid can hit. Musburger just called him the hardest hitting LB in the country. We'll see what the combine brings.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 sacks and an INT in first half

Very very very impressive showing by Maualuga. Two of his sacks have been monster hits. The most impressive being where he ran right through Mendenhall.

3 sacks and an INT in first half

Earlier in the year he I thought he was one of the rare college LBs who could stand up physically within the Patriots scheme. He had an up and down season and kept saying he would stay for his senior year so I took him off my list.

He made a ton of money today and I still think he would be a great fit, if the Pats could slide back and take him around picks 10-20 then the cap starts to make sense.

Wow, as mentioned in another forum, Channing Crowder may be a free agent. Crowder and Rey Rey, wow. All I can say is Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back