PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maualuga staying - Clady declares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
"Nobody can offer me enough money to leave..."

After Maualuga was named the bowl's defensive MVP after he sacked quarterback Juice Williams three times and picked off one of his passes, the question popped up again. Maualuga said Tuesday his plans aren't changing. "Nobody can offer me enough money to leave," Maualuga said. "It won't happen. I made my decision and I'm going to stick to it."
---

Boise State's Clady to enter NFL draft

BOISE - Boise State left tackle Ryan Clady will forgo his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft, he said Tuesday.

Bugger. :(

I take this with a grain of salt. All he has to do is remember what happened to Linehart who lost millions by staying. If he hasn't declared by 1/15/08, then I will believe him.

Ahhhh crap! Not that I wanted him in NE or anything but now the only 1st round ILBs are Lauranaitis and Connor. Overrated Big Ten MLBs. They get over hyped every year.

Last edited:
Worse, IMO, is Jonathan Goff staying in school. Looks like the folks who insist "BB will never draft an ILB!" will end up looking smart this year.

EDIT: Hold on, I could have sworn that I read that Goff is returning for a red-shirt senior season. Now I can't find that, am I imagining things?

Worse, IMO, is Jonathan Goff staying in school. Looks like the folks who insist "BB will never draft an ILB!" will end up looking smart this year.

EDIT: Hold on, I could have sworn that I read that Goff is returning for a red-shirt senior season. Now I can't find that, am I imagining things?

Jon's already a senior. He came to Vandy in 2003, got a redshirt, and played 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. He's played in and started a ton of games for an ILB prospect in the SEC.

He'll be one of the top 2 or 3 ILB's taken in the draft, and I really like him.

Last edited:
Jon's already a senior. He came to Vandy in 2003, got a redshirt, and played 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007. He's played in and started a ton of games for an ILB prospect in the SEC.

Goff is listed at 6-4 235 lbs. A bit light in the pants for a LB in the Pats system, no?
http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/goff_jonathan00.html

BTW, Maualuga has been arrested once. Does this raise a red flag?
http://www.trojanwire.com/football/rey-maualuga-arrested.php

Last edited:

Sure enough, I was reading a couple of articles on Goff the other day and didn't realize that one of them was from January 2007. :rolleyes: Time for more coffee.

I like Goff a lot too. In another post I speculated on trading down half a dozen picks in the 1st in exchange for a flip of 2nd rounders, yielding something like picks #14 and 45. That should be nice positioning for a CB and ILB in this draft.

Ahhhh crap! Not that I wanted him in NE or anything but now the only 1st round ILBs are Lauranaitis and Connor. Overrated Big Ten MLBs. They get over hyped every year.

It all depends on who has them ranked where.

For instance, NFLDraftCountdown has Connor, Phillip Wheeler and Beau Bell as OLBs, where as NFLDraftScout.com has them listed at ILB.

I take this with a grain of salt. All he has to do is remember what happened to Linehart who lost millions by staying. If he hasn't declared by 1/15/08, then I will believe him.
Leinart would've been the surefire #1 pick. I think Maualaga would go into the draft if he and his agent thought he was going into the top 10, but he had an injury plagued year, he's still very raw and with his potential he could go very high next year.

Goff is listed at 6-4 235 lbs. A bit light in the pants for a LB in the Pats system, no?
I think given his height the hope would be that he would bulk up some.

It's hard to tell anything from a 1 sentence explanation. It's something that Pioli and BB would have to find out on their own.

Last edited:
<b>I take this with a grain of salt. All he has to do is remember what happened to Linehart who lost millions by staying. If he hasn't declared by 1/15/08, then I will believe him.</b>
Leinart would've been the surefire #1 pick. I think Maualaga would go into the draft if he and his agent thought he was going into the top 10, but he had an injury plagued year, he's still very raw and with his potential he could go very high next year.

If you want to put things in bold, you need to use brackets not the less than/greater than symbols.

Maualaga can't have an agent yet. If he did, he'd no longer be eligible to play in college. I don't think Maualaga is good enough to ever be a top 10 pick. The injury issues loom large for him.

<b>Goff is listed at 6-4 235 lbs. A bit light in the pants for a LB in the Pats system, no?</b>
I think given his height the hope would be that he would bulk up some.

The official weigh in will be at the combine. I've seen numbers that have him as high at 244. But, as you said, given his height, he should be able to put on some weight. But his frame (shoulders/hips) also have something to do with it. If the over-all frame can't handle it, then he'll be in trouble.

<b>BTW, Maualuga has been arrested once. Does this raise a red flag?</b>
It's hard to tell anything from a 1 sentence explanation. It's something that Pioli and BB would have to find out on their own.

There are a few things regarding Maualuga's arrest. 1) It happened when he was 18. A freshman. 2) I don't believe he was ever indicted. 3) I don't know if the charges are still pending or not. I can't find anything online about it.

http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/goff_jonathan00.html

http://www.trojanwire.com/football/rey-maualuga-arrested.php

Jon's listed at 235lbs, but he's still growing into his frame, and he's actually played at 244lbs before. If you don't know, he's been able to go up and down in weight when he's needed.

Concerning Rey:
http://patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=705785&postcount=8

I've did the Vandy Florida game this year and I think he is one of those guys that loses weight as the season wears on.
He may weigh in under 240 for the Senior bowl, but should be over 240 by the start of TC.

In the Patriots scheme he might only be a 2 down LBer (Run stuffer). Florida had a field day running guys by him.

Although I doubt he lasts, I would be thrilled to get him with Oakland's pick in the third round.

Last edited:
Maualuga was arrested because of an altercation at a party which occurred shortly after his father died. He's had no other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes