PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maualuga played at 270 lbs last season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Apparently Maualuga was carrying 270 lbs in '07. he plans to lose 20+ lbs for his senior season.

Picture a 270-pound man running with near-sprinter speed and you get an idea why NFL scouts were so enamored.

"He's easily the hardest hitter in college football," fellow USC linebacker Chris Galippo said.

"He's a downhill guy who carries weight like it's nothing. He's like an offensive lineman running 4.5 down the field on kickoffs."

Maualuga actually set a goal to lose weight after he was selected defensive MVP of the Rose Bowl. He managed to terrorize the Illinois offense despite playing at a weight 25 pounds beyond his comfort zone, he said.

He said he wants to weigh 245 pounds by the fall.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/maualuga-has-no-2008022-regrets-about

Man, he would look good in the middle next to Mayo but that's nothing but a pipe dream unless the Pats stink this year which has about a 0% chance of occuring. Just don't let the Jets get him!

let's say he is a top 10-12 pick, what would it take to trade up to get him?

From the 32nd spot? Probably more than the Pats would be willing to give up.

Here is the new value chart.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/15/new-draft-trade-chart/

the #15 pick has a value of 1,140 points.

the #32 pick has a value of 670 points.
It would probably take a package including one of our 2nds and our 3rd round pick to move up that far ahead. But we would still have a 2nd rounder left over to snag a top 75 player. Hopefully Maualuga drops for inexplicable reasons, ala Wilfork, and we can take him with a smaller move up, say at pick #20.

At this very, very early juncture it seems unlikely we will be able to find a way to draft him...but if he were to end up a Patriot somehow, he'd probably be asked to put a good deal of the weight he intends to lose back on.

We have an extra 2nd round pick next year, the chargers pick. Probably will be in the 20's. It'll probably take something like our 1st rounder, two 2nd's, and a 2010 1st round pick. The thought of Maualuga and Mayo in the middle is just too agonizing to think about, imagine Mayo on the weakside and Maualuga taking over for a retiring Bruschi on the strongside? Rediculous. He will probably be a top 10 pick though, and we would have to trade the farm for him. It would probably be worth it though to get a player like that. I remember BB almost traded up for Sean Taylor but the Skins took him one spot earlier, Taylor was a top 5 selection so you never know maybe BB would covet Maualuga and go for it.

I remember BB almost traded up for Sean Taylor but the Skins took him one spot earlier, Taylor was a top 5 selection so you never know maybe BB would covet Maualuga and go for it.

I'm pretty sure that was 100% myth according to the Boss.

Let's wait to see how Rey looks next year. Remember how far Calais Campbell's stock fell between August and April?

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was 100% myth according to the Boss.

we'll never know cuz the Skins nabbed him one pick before detroits pick. The detroit GM said he had talks with BB about a trade up, there could have been a deal in place if Taylor was on the board, least thats what i like to think. :)

i like maualuga but i'm afraid if pats next year will draft another first round ilb will be because they had a lot of problems with lbs...
hope they will have no needs and can put him...
but 4 picks(first 09,2 second 09,first 2010)are impossible...

Sorry to say this, but 2008 was the year for NE to land Rey. His staying in school and NE's selecting Mayo pretty much killed any shot of his getting selected by the team.

I will continue to say this (as I have been for two years), he would be an outstanding LB in NE's defense. He wouldn't just be one of the best LB's on the team either, but one of the best LB's in the league.

Last edited:
Apparently Maualuga was carrying 270 lbs in '07. he plans to lose 20+ lbs for his senior season.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/maualuga-has-no-2008022-regrets-about

He is the best 3-4 ILB prospect I can remember seeing in college. Flows to the ball, sheds blocks, makes drops in coverage, plays mean. He would be a perfect fit in our defense.

But... he should be a top 10 pick, 0% chance of becoming a Patriot.

Best case scenario is he fails a drug test and the combine and falsl to pick 32.

Sorry to say this, but 2008 was the year for NE to land Rey. His staying in school and NE's selecting Mayo pretty much killed any shot of his getting selected by the team.

I will continue to say this (as I have been for two years), he would be an outstanding LB in NE's defense. He wouldn't just be one of the best LB's on the team either, but one of the best LB's in the league.

if Bruschi and Seau hang them up next year we'll need another guy inside in addition to Mayo. Heck we probably should be looking for another one even if Bruschi and Seau come back. This was our best draft to get him no doubt. Let say next year we are picking at #32, we could use our two 2nds to move up into the middle of round 1, not saying Maualuga would be there cuz i think hes going top 10 but theres alot of linebackers in next years draft so who knows. If we had to move up into the top 10 i think we could we would just have to offer 2009 1st rounder. If we didnt have an extra 2nd next year i doubt there would be any chance of getting him. Lets just cross our fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back