PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Walsh/Globe story today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying that it's bad news for the Patriots. I'm saying that the Globe seems to have gotten a lot of cooperation from "unnamed league officials" for their story on Walsh. It just feels like pre-emptive damage control for the NFL.

It's not chicken little and its not tinfoil hat stuff. Name-calling isn't going to change anything if Walsh has the goods on the Patriots. Right now, I'm 50/50 on that possibility. Trust me, I hope he's got nothing...

i tend to be suspicous as well but maybe i'm just getting too cynical as i get older. I admire the enthusiasm and sense of righteous indignation displayed by many out here, including by those who have disagreed with me today. reminds me of myself 20 years ago. but now, though, i have a sinking feeling that we're getting set up to get well and royally f>@ked.

the bottom line for me is that this story is now reduced to a simple "ON/OFF" switch.

"Matt Walsh has a tape of the Walkthrough." Throw the "ON" switch and it's all over for the Patriots.

"Matt Walsh has nothing at all or, at worst, bootleg copies of a couple of tapes that BB has already admitted making." Throw the "OFF" switch and the story goes away forever in a couple of weeks after everyone has watched the tapes a million times on ESPN and Youtube.

"Matt Walsh has a tape of the Walkthrough." Throw the "ON" switch and it's all over for the Patriots.

What? BB has already said he has never authorized or has even seen such a tape. If this moron taped it himself w/o any authorization, how can you say "it's all over for the Patriots."?

i tend to be suspicous as well but maybe i'm just getting too cynical as i get older. I admire the enthusiasm and sense of righteous indignation displayed by many out here, including by those who have disagreed with me today. reminds me of myself 20 years ago. but now, though, i have a sinking feeling that we're getting set up to get well and royally f>@ked.

the bottom line for me is that this story is now reduced to a simple "ON/OFF" switch.

"Matt Walsh has nothing at all or, at worst, bootleg copies of a couple of tapes that BB has already admitted making." Throw the "OFF" switch and the story goes away forever in a couple of weeks after everyone has watched the tapes a million times on ESPN and Youtube.

Well, you ignore another, entirely plausible scenario.

After Walsh and his representatives succeed in the current round of negotiations, Walsh still exhibits reticence in his dealings with both the league and Arlen Specter.

This is too much for the Senator, who leans on Goodell to extract even more blood from this stone that is the Patriots' public crucification. Since Goodell's options here are limited to slim and none, this pushes the good Senator over the edge, demanding that his his committee give blanket immunity to Walsh, which then prompts the desired outflow of verbal diarrhea from this cretin, giving both the Senator and the public a long litany of rubbish allegations, almost none of which are true.

A trash tabloid's wet dream has come true.

Over time, of course, what Walsh has said will be invariably refuted by any number of sources, but the damage will have been done. In the Senator's quest for yet another "magic bullet", he will have cast aspersions on the Patriot's good name that can never fully be recovered, or compensation adequately proposed that would rectify the situation to at least some degree.

Not that he would care....

What wrong with it? It's unfortunate you have to ask.

Out of all the people I've known who have served in wars in the service of this country, and I've known a lot of them, I've never met one - not one - who was willing to talk about it. Most, if not all, would just as soon forget that part of their lives. While proud of their service, sharing what they've been through is not a viable option for a lot of them.

My father was a medic in France during WWII, and the only times he talked about his time there was to share an occasional amusing anecdote that was invariably humorous, but I'm certain he saw things no sane person should ever want to see, and was adamant about not telling me, or anyone else, about it.

It would be interesting if the Commonwealth of Mass goes after Walsh for illegally taping conversations with Pioli.

Dear Upstater and PatioticFevor and everyone else.

please keep your political comments off the football forum. I'm getting tired of deleting them.

There is a political forum for that and they will welcome you over there like sharks being thrown red meat.

Thank you.

I know it wasn't your intent, but you hit upon a key point. In order to further his own interests, why wouldn't he put a small clip of the Rams walkthrough on youtube? He could do it completely anonymously. Specter would flip and the league would be under so much pressure he could demand whatever he wanted. Nobody would be able to link him to the youtube clip so he wouldn't put himself in any jeopardy before getting legal protection.

So why wouldn't he do this? Three options:
a) He has nothing that we don't already know about
b) He is an idiot
c) All of the above

please keep your political comments off the football forum. I'm getting tired of deleting them.

There is a political forum for that and they will welcome you over there like sharks being thrown red meat.

Thank you.

You've gotten awfully anal in your old age "Nut".:p

Relax a bit, you're getting to angry lately...:mad:... an out of place comment here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. Pretty soon we'll be losing recess for not punctuating properly,.;. You need to get back to the old "funny Nut" ... that guy was :cool:.

Relax a bit, you're getting to angry lately...:mad:... an out of place comment here and there isn't going to hurt anyone. Pretty soon we'll be losing recess for not punctuating properly,.;. You need to get back to the old "funny Nut" ... that guy was :cool:.

Except that basically any political comment is bound to get someone riled up.

Frankly, I appreciate the hard-line stance, NUT. :)

Okay ... I'm goingto lay this out there just in case. I posted this already but the post was too much bloviating ... probably got skipped over.

> The Cardinals and the Rams are in the same division.

> Walsh and disgruntled QB Rohan Davey were together in NFL Europe (Patriots) the year after his breakout NFL Europe season.

> Walsh and Davey end up in Arizona (Cardinals) together the following season.

> Walsh steals scouting material from the Cardinals that was garnered from the Rams. Finds a way (at least in his opinion) to say it came from the Patriots when in fact he stole it from the Cardinals who were spying on the Rams.

Real outlandish hypothesis on my part ... but what if it's true?
If it's true I am a geen-eee-azzz ... if I'm wrong who gives a crap.:p
Something to think about though ... I can see Davey & Walsh getting
angry discussing the Patriots ... 2 losers dumped on their butts ... why not stir up the crap for payback ... now he's stuck and trying to get out of this.

either way he knows he will get sued. Produce nothing and be sued by the Patriots. Produce something and get sued by the Patriots ... a lose - lose situation he really wishes would just go away ... he'll blame Davey LOL.

I know it wasn't your intent, but you hit upon a key point. In order to further his own interests, why wouldn't he put a small clip of the Rams walkthrough on youtube? He could do it completely anonymously. Specter would flip and the league would be under so much pressure he could demand whatever he wanted. Nobody would be able to link him to the youtube clip so he wouldn't put himself in any jeopardy before getting legal protection.

So why wouldn't he do this? Three options:
a) He has nothing that we don't already know about
b) He is an idiot
c) All of the above

I wouldn't be surprised if he does have the Rams' tape. Why would he have been floating this around for months if he doesn't have it? But this guy is obviously a nutcase so why is it so far-fetched that he just taped it himself? He may not have even used Pats equipment but some sort of handheld camera or even a snippet from a poor recording from a snapshot digital camera. The point is that this guy is obviously unstable and if he was taping conversations with Pioli, why not this?

Last edited:

All my fav's have been losing in the March Madness contest. That's enough to make anyone grumpy.:cool:

Didn't see this. Apologies if I missed it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...r_matt_walsh_is_calculating_bitter/?page=full

And:

This part made me laugh:

Thanks for posting this....for those of us out of towners....good to see that someone in the Boston media "gets it".

In all honesty, IF Walsh has anything on those tapes.....be it AUDIO (extremely incriminating) or video.....The Patriots and Bill Belichick will be crucified in the media and by opposing teams fans......If he has anything audio with BB or Pioli talking about making tapes......BB will be suspended and/or fired I would imagine.......because that is going to be hard to deny........If this moron only has video......BB, Pioli, Pats dynasty will be dragged through the media REGARDLESS of any GUILT or wrongdoing!!!!!!

WHAT WE ALL NEED TO BE READY FOR....is the BLOODTHIRSTY mob (AKA mediots and other teams fans that will come here to pile it on....or give you sh## at any chance when they see you wear your pats stuff) that will relentlessly pound and crucify this team and try to ERASE all their accolades and accomplishments.........This stuff makes me physically puke to watch our team and coaches dragged through the sh** just to make a story (because as we all know ad nauseum....is that ALL OF THESE Coaches.....are doing the same DAMMED THING!!!!)......and to destroy the legend that is the New England Patriots,......What a friggin shame.......they keep tearing the scab open....over and over again......regardless of proof or evidence.....sorry had to vent....

In all honesty, IF Walsh has anything on those tapes.....be it AUDIO (extremely incriminating) or video.....The Patriots and Bill Belichick will be crucified in the media and by opposing teams fans......If he has anything audio with BB or Pioli talking about making tapes......BB will be suspended and/or fired I would imagine.......because that is going to be hard to deny........If this moron only has video......BB, Pioli, Pats dynasty will be dragged through the media REGARDLESS of any GUILT or wrongdoing!!!!!!

Again, Goodell has said the only way the investigation gets reopened is if there's evidence that Belichick or the Patriots lied to Goodell about the extent of their activities. They've already admitted the taping went back to 2000, so even audiotape would only be damning if (A) the walkthrough actually happened, and (B) someone high up in the FO actually was aware of it at the time.

my understanding of pro bono is that the term typically applies to worthy cases, for which a high profile firm allocates some available time of its attorneys, usually of the more junior type and typically their "spare time" after they've already billed 60 hours for the week. Matt Walsh doesn't fit that category, so i would expect that the guy is doing it on "spec" for a percentage of something that walsh might get for his story.

Nothing is FREE nowday.

Again, Goodell has said the only way the investigation gets reopened is if there's evidence that Belichick or the Patriots lied to Goodell about the extent of their activities. They've already admitted the taping went back to 2000, so even audiotape would only be damning if (A) the walkthrough actually happened, and (B) someone high up in the FO actually was aware of it at the time.

thanks man......but don't you think that REGARDLESS....we are in for having to deal the rest of the entire year.....and every game next year "Well you know Tony (cornholer), the Patriots former cameraman came up with more tapes of cheating this past winter..."....I have just started listening to sports radio again because this ridiculous sh## has been on the shelf for awhile.....and now here comes the latest wave of horsesh##.....and the crazy thing is....that even if they can prove NOTHING....the mediots will demand an asterisk after everything we have all accomplished and ENJOYED!!!!........I know F' them.....but it still stings every freakin time I hear this crap......

Thank you.

Sorry, Nut. Just havin' a bad (Mon)day...won't happen again.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but look how SI.com introduces this Globe piece in their Truth & Rumors section.

Report: Patriots taped more games
Posted: Monday March 10, 2008 05:04AM ET
Amid news that former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh is close to reaching an agreement to tell what he knows, the Globe found that Walsh broke league rules under orders from the Patriots by videotaping opponents' signals between 2000 and 2002, and could have video recordings to prove it, which has not been previously reported. But if he illegally videotaped the St. Louis Rams in their final practice before the 2002 Super Bowl, as widely suspected, team and league officials say he must have done it on his own. One league source detailed the circumstantial evidence that persuaded NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to accept the team's explanation that it never sanctioned, or knew of, any spying of that sort.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/42690

Tell me there isn't a media bias when it comes to this story. This story took up over a full page in the Globe today and was all about Walsh and his involvement and many of his credibility issues and SI slants the whole story as the Pats filmed more games? How is that putting a huge spin on the whole article?

I'm telling you the media does not want to find out the truth. They only want to find out the Patriots are guilty. I don't think they hate the Patriots rather they love the controvesy and espianage of it all. They want the good juicy story and not the real story. Walsh being a vindictive ex-employee isn't juicy. The Pats having a long pattern of cheating is.

How old is Matt Walsh? Does anyone at the Globe actually proofread articles? Do they have an editor? In Bob Hohler's article about Matt Walsh he writes the following:

"Walsh, 31, did not respond to numerous requests for interviews and his lawyer, Michael Levy, declined to comment." So if this is 2008, he was either born in 1976 or 1977

"He was a four-time all-star in the Charter Oaks Conference as a golfer and runner-up for the Division 3 state title his senior year in 1994." If he was a senior in 1994 he was either born in 1976 or 1977

"A month after Walsh turned 23 in 1999, he landed his first full-time job in Foxborough" OK this means he was definitely born in 1976

"By 2005, the Patriots had won two more Super Bowls and Walsh had given up football to pursue a career in the golf industry. He responded to an opening, posted on the PGA's online employment center, for an entry level position at Eastward Ho! Country Club in Chatham"................................."Walsh, 26 at the time, accepted the job, even though it typically was performed by a high school or college student."

HUH? In case the guys at the Globe can't do basic math, 2005-1976 means Walsh would have been either 28 or 29 when he accepted this job in 2005. Where do they get 26? I can barely get through a single article these days without finding sloppy journalism like this.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this....for those of us out of towners....good to see that someone in the Boston media "gets it".

In all honesty, IF Walsh has anything on those tapes.....be it AUDIO (extremely incriminating) or video.

any audiotapes are not against nfl rules and thus should be kept private. videotaping from the sideline is against nfl rules. those have already been made public by goodell's wife. how that has escaped the media is beyond me. the commissione's wife works for fox and jay glazer ends up with the tape ? no wonder he destroyed the rest of the tapes. why hasn't specter thought of that ? because he's a moron ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes