PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Walsh/Globe story today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah...so the Globe publishes a hit piece on Walsh they've been researching for several months, and somehow that's bad news for the Patriots?

BTW--the stuff about Walsh and the NFL? All any of the news stories have said is that "progress has been made". It's the same thing the negotiators said for 3 years when they were trying to stop the Vietnam "police action".

"Hi, I'm Chicken Little. I wear a tinfoil helmet so that the pieces of falling sky don't steal my thoughts as they float by."

Not saying that it's bad news for the Patriots. I'm saying that the Globe seems to have gotten a lot of cooperation from "unnamed league officials" for their story on Walsh. It just feels like pre-emptive damage control for the NFL.

It's not chicken little and its not tinfoil hat stuff. Name-calling isn't going to change anything if Walsh has the goods on the Patriots. Right now, I'm 50/50 on that possibility. Trust me, I hope he's got nothing...

Not saying that it's bad news for the Patriots. I'm saying that the Globe seems to have gotten a lot of cooperation from "unnamed league officials" for their story on Walsh. It just feels like pre-emptive damage control for the NFL.

It's not chicken little and its not tinfoil hat stuff. Name-calling isn't going to change anything if Walsh has the goods on the Patriots. Right now, I'm 50/50 on that possibility. Trust me, I hope he's got nothing...

Or perhaps league sources are just sick and tired of this crap the same as we the fans are?

Surprisingly, this is the quote that gives me the greatest assurance that the Pats either didn't tape the walkthrough, and/or that Walsh made the tape on his own:

Goodell immediately deployed investigators, their focus largely on Walsh. The commissioner previously had warned the Patriots that if Belichick or team officials lied about the extent of their videotaping practices when they were initially questioned, he would suspend Belichick for a year and impose similarly severe penalties on the team.

People may have a lot of negative things to say about Belichick, but when he has outright lied about any aspect of this whole mess? And if the Patriots knew, or even suspected, that Walsh has a tape, why on earth would they go ahead and say he didn't sign a confidentiality agreement?

i want to see if ESPN picks this up like it did with the herald story. i doubt it will.

Walsh is being represented by Levy on a Pro Bono basis. That means Levy isn't getting paid. It isn't unusual to see a lawyer even from a big firm take on pro bono basis especially if it is a high profile case. I don't read too much into it when it comes to reading what he has as evidence especially since Specter may have pointed him in that direction.

I think the best we can hope for is that he has nothing more than a few tapes videotaping opposing signals. I am also betting that it is all he has other than allegations without evidence.

This is true.

However, even if someone were paying Levy on his normal hourly billing basis, it wouldn't necessarily prove that some one "has" something on the Pats.

Someone, or some organization, could be paying lots of money to achieve a desired outcome in the "courtroom of public opinion". And with a sympathetic and sycophantic press, that outcome would be relatively easy to achieve.

Where lawyers are concerned, it's "hope for the best, but expect the worst".

If only he was a trainer with Tennesse when Peyton went there and he pulled the blender "gag", Peyton would be Chopped Nuts.

The NFL and the Pats were letting Walsh and his people win the media/PR battle, I'm glad they have begun to fight back.

This is all they talked about on Mike & Mike this morning.

They want anything that Walsh has made public and the commish to come down with further punishment.

Not once during the time I was listening was it brought up that if Walsh has the tape that HE did them without the knowledge of the Patriots. Not once was it brought up that teh Patriots might not have ever seen the tapes. Not once was it brought up that the Patriots might not have used these tapes in any game prep.

So making this stuff public will only lead to a conclusion that the Patriots cheated even if the Patriots never authorized the taping,saw them, or used them in any way.

Let me guess, they also never addressed the possibility that Walsh may only have tapes of defensive signals (not the bombshell they're looking for) or that he may have no evidence at all.

Let me guess, they also never addressed the possibility that Walsh may only have tapes of defensive signals (not the bombshell they're looking for) or that he may have no evidence at all.

Nope, the thing that keeps getting repeated ad naseum on ESPN is that Walsh must have something very damaging, otherwise he wouldn't have gone through all this trouble..

I really doubt that anyone will buy the whole "Matt Walsh did it on his own story." Why would he do this on his own? Unless he knew he was going to be fired and did this to blackmail the team. If that was the case, he would have come out with this a long time ago. If he does have tape of the Pats walkthrough, it'll be hard to prove that he was not ordered by the coaches to do so. And if that happens, we might see the Josh McDaniels, Dean Pees or Dom Capers era begin sooner than expected for the Pats.

My sense is that he has tapes of defensive signals, but nothing more than what the NFL already knows. It'll cause a few more "(Some NFL team) was filmed by Patriots in 2002" stories, but Spygate will eventually fade away.

The NFL and the Pats were letting Walsh and his people win the media/PR battle, I'm glad they have begun to fight back.

It appears to have had the desired effect on Florio. The lawyer in him has appeared over the last several weeks to come to the conclusion that Walsh is not what you would consider someone approaching a credible witness to much of anything.

The Patriots apparently have enough bodies on their side of the ledger who can corroberate what they said or did or didn't do, and apparently some who can also attest to what Walsh did and didn't do while in their employ. Walsh on the other hand has a white collar criminal lawyer and some stolen tapes that likely don't show anything beyond filming signals and some stories he may want to tell that given his now proven penchant for embellishment if not flat out lying make him about as useful to Spector or anyone else as Roger Clemens was to his own cause.

Doesn't mean tools in the media and congress won't still try to use him against Bill if they have a sufficient agenda to drive or axe to grind. But at the end of the day 80% of those who followed the Clemens case still know he was just FOS and lying through his teeth in a determined albeit delusional effort to defend his HOF career standing because his story just isn't credible in the face of independent testimony to the contrary. And remember as with Walsh, Roger was the one who INSISTED on holding hearings to clear his name...yet the media struggles to grasp why Walsh would have opened himself up to this kind of scrutiny if he didn't have something that would vindicate him...duh, that's what sociopaths convince themselves to do because they're delusional and they aren't wired remotely like the majority of us.

POSTED 10:19 a.m. EDT; UPDATED 10:55 a.m. EDT, March 10, 2008

GLOBE FOCUSES ON WALSH

"At a time when most of the media hasn't been focusing on the guy who supposedly knows something (or thinks he knows something) about allegedly questionable practices of the Patriots prior to his termination in 2003, the Boston Globe has spent the last month getting to know more about Matt Walsh.

In a long but informative (and, in our view, mildly pro-Patriots) item in Monday's edition, Bob Hohler of the Globe shares some details about Walsh. Here are some of the highlights.

To no surprise, the team is poised to contend that Walsh acted on his own, if it turns out that he has in his possession a tape of the St. Louis Rams' final walk-through practice prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. (But, as we've previously mentioned, we don't think Walsh has a tape of any walk-through practice, and that the eventual explanation he might give will be viewed by many as implausible.)

Also, one of the items that Walsh might have in his possession is end-zone video of Adam Vinatieri's game-winning field goal in Super Bowl XXXVI. The Globe suggests that it's possible that Walsh also used that camera to videotape defensive coaching signals during the game.

Indeed, Walsh reportedly was one of three employees who was responsible for game-day taping of opponents' defensive coaching signals. It was an assignment he acquired when Bill Belichick became the head coach in 2000.

As to the incident that got Walsh fired (i.e., allegedly tape-recording conversations with V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli), the Globe reports that Pioli was alerted to the situation by a co-worker, and that Pioli retrieved the tape from Walsh's desk after Walsh had left the office, listened to the unauthorized recording, and fired Walsh the next day. Walsh's lawyer has called the allegation of taped conversations a "complete fabrication."

Walsh told friends he was fired because he was close to qualifying for retirement benefits. He said he was considering suing the team, but he never did.

Regarding Walsh's past, the Globe reports that Walsh was dismissed from the Springfield College golf team in 1995 after booby-trapping his bed with a blender blade, apparently in order to prevent his roommate and the roommate's girlfriend from sullying Walsh's sheets. The roommate's girlfriend was only slightly injured, but the incident was deemed to be sufficiently severe to get Walsh kicked off of the squad.

Hopefully, we'll all know more about Walsh knows about cheating allegations in the near future. But, in all fairness to both sides, anything he says needs to be considered in conjunction with the other available evidence, especially if any of his story is colored with shades of gray."

If he does have tape of the Pats walkthrough, it'll be hard to prove that he was not ordered by the coaches to do so.

It would be hard to prove you didn't pay him to do it.

Did you? How can we know for sure? You certainly have a motivation to lie to protect yourself. Maybe you should be investigated and forced to pay for legal representation. And simply by defending yourself, you sound completely guilty in the court of public opinion.

Yeah, I like this world WAAAAAY better than one with rules of law and procedures to prevent using the legal system as a personal attack dog.

Incredible as it seems I learned more about this guy at the outset from a poster on the Planet quoting a poster on fannation who said he knew of Walsh through mutual friends, said he was fired from the Pats, said they could have filed charges at the time, and said there was an incident at Springfield College that he could have had charges filed on him too.

This guy is a pathological liar. There is always a shred of truth behind their version of the story. They embellish it to the point eventually it's nearly unrecognizable, but they often appear incredibly believable because they have come to believe the embellished story to be the truth. The really good ones are difficult to ferret out, the more careless or brazen ones get outed periodically. Usually they are charming enough to get off and they just move on and start the process over again. Sounds like Walsh won't be selling golf shoes in Maui too much longer. Although he may well still believe this situation remains his ticket to bigger and better opportunities...

Kudos to Hohler for following up - and shame on ESPN for playing footsies with this tool without ever kicking his tires because he HINTED he had something they desperately wanted - dirt on Belichick.
Mo, you have obviously had past dealings with a pathological liar. You were probably taken in by one for awhile, as I was. I just wanted to say that you I agree 100% what you say about them.

The one I was taken by was later professionally diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. If you don't know what that is, don't feel bad, I didn't either until then. The female lead character in Fatal Attraction, played by Glenn Close, is a classic case. (google "glenn close borderline".) Borderlines are characterized by troubled interpersonal relationships in which they alternately idolize or demonize the other person. This alternation can toggle back and forth on a daily or even hourly basis - there is no gray area. And they are also, of course, pathological liars who live in a borderline psychotic world (this is why the condition is called "borderline" - it was once thought to be a borderline case of schizophrenic psychosis). This is why they are such believable liars - as you say, they actually believe most of their lies, because in their psychotic world it is true.

So why is any of this psycho-babble relevant? It occurs to me as an layperson with experience dealing with a borderline, and extricating myself from a relationship with one, that Matt Walsh exhibits a lot of the characteristics of the profile. You may recall the attempts to destroy Michael Douglas's character's loved ones, from his children's pet rabbit, to (ultimately) attempting to murder his wife (Ann Archer). These people have no conscience in this matters because they see the person they are trying to hurt as demons.

Can we compare this to Walsh's attempts to hurt his roommate and his girlfriend? How about his attempt to hurt the team he once idolized? I don't know, but it seems to fit what I know about it.

So what? Well, it may help us to predict what will happen next. Walsh will continue to stick to his story forever, because in his mind it is true. Only when the investigation has played out and it becomes obvious to all (but him) that his story is fabricated will he relent - not by recanting but by withdrawing to a different life in a new place - where he will continue to believe that he is the victim in all of this.

If anyone who reads this is a psychologist or psychiatrist, please remember I am not claiming to be an expert and am only relating what I am seeing to personal experience. I am sure there are probably a lot of other clinical explanations for Walsh's behavior. This is one that seems to me to fit.

Walsh has NEVER hold his job long. He worked here and there for X years. Something is wrong with him.

All you have to know about Walsh is that he put a sharp razor blade in his ex girlfriends bed, so that she would get cut to ribbons.

This guy is sick...!
He needs help

Also Mike G is a Fing JETS fan. Anything he says has ZERO credibility.
I could care less about what he thinks,
He is a self promoting know it all wannabe
I don't think it was his ex-girlfriend:

According to the alleged victim, a woman who was dating Walsh's roommate, Walsh was so miffed that she and his roommate might spend time on his bed while he was away that he booby-trapped his sheets with a stainless steel, six-pronged blender blade.

Peyton isn't the only Manning brother with a problem of immaturity problem if the story of a friend of a friend of mine is true. But that's a side issue...

The detail about the story that sticks out to me is that Walsh lost his PGA license in December. There's motive: $. Is it really a stretch to think that Walsh only wants indemnity and protection so he can go and sell a book about his times in the Patriot organization?

Mo, you have obviously had past dealings with a pathological liar. You were probably taken in by one for awhile, as I was. I just wanted to say that you I agree 100% what you say about them.

I think the term narcissist also applies when someone is so in love with themselves that they think the world revolves around them.......

There doesn't have to be any money put up. What insider lawyer wouldn't want to do a favor for a senator and a powerful lobbying firm?

Secondly, if you read the article you'd see the paragraph where the evidence convinced Goodell, then you'd find the article where the evidence is mentioned. Yes, the quote is unattributed, however, the person in question gave testimony to the NFL.

we could argue this for the rest of the day, but K Street lawyers don't do much for free, even for senators and certainly not for a competitor.

for now, i'll just say that i hope you're interpretation of these events is correct and that mine is wrong. thanks.

Walsh is being represented by Levy on a Pro Bono basis. That means Levy isn't getting paid. It isn't unusual to see a lawyer even from a big firm take on pro bono basis especially if it is a high profile case. I don't read too much into it when it comes to reading what he has as evidence especially since Specter may have pointed him in that direction.

I think the best we can hope for is that he has nothing more than a few tapes videotaping opposing signals. I am also betting that it is all he has other than allegations without evidence.

my understanding of pro bono is that the term typically applies to worthy cases, for which a high profile firm allocates some available time of its attorneys, usually of the more junior type and typically their "spare time" after they've already billed 60 hours for the week. Matt Walsh doesn't fit that category, so i would expect that the guy is doing it on "spec" for a percentage of something that walsh might get for his story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back