PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Walsh/Globe story today

Status
Not open for further replies.

otis p. driftwood

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Didn't see this. Apologies if I missed it.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...r_matt_walsh_is_calculating_bitter/?page=full

In developing a portrait of Walsh, a personable sports lover now working as an assistant golf pro in Hawaii, the Globe also learned that he has exaggerated or misrepresented elements of his online biography, and that he was dismissed from the Springfield College golf team in 1995 after he played a dangerous prank on a woman.

And:

The Patriots, through an NFL lawyer, have made clear to Walsh that they consider any tapes he might possess possible stolen property and would want the tapes returned.

The team, for example, is missing video of Adam Vinatieri kicking the winning field goal in the 2002 Super Bowl. The tape was recorded by an end zone camera Walsh operated during the game and also could have been used to record the Rams' defensive signals.

The NFL has informed Walsh's lawyer it will not pursue charges against Walsh if he turns over any property, gives the league any other evidence, and speaks truthfully about his tenure with the team. He also is a central figure in inquiries by Senator Arlen Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, and a class-action suit filed in New Orleans against the Patriots and Belichick.

This part made me laugh:

Amid the saga, Walsh's PGA membership was suspended in December because he failed to meet expected progress with his educational courses, according to a PGA official.

Last edited:
The NFL has informed Walsh's lawyer it will not pursue charges against Walsh if he turns over any property, gives the league any other evidence, and speaks truthfully about his tenure with the team.
Fine but the Patriots can pursue charges and I have little doubt they will.

How much you wanna bet none of the information from this story makes it on ESPN or ESPN.com eventhough Specter talking to the NYTimes not really saying anything new was a huge story.

Wow! This story really paints the twisted mind of Walsh. What he did to his roommate's girlfriend was disgusting if true.

Kudos to Bob Hohler for a well researched and informative piece.

Last edited:
Wow! This story really paints the twisted mind of Walsh. What he did to his girlfriend was disgusting if true.
Yeah, that was an excellent, extensive story. It makes Walsh out to be a total freak and paints a picture that it's VERY unlikely the taping of the walkthrough happened.

This part of the story makes me want this guy to get nailed by the Pats with illegally audiotaping Pioli:

After high school, Walsh worked a summer as a cart boy at his neighborhood course, Twin Hills Country Club, before he enrolled at Springfield College. He played one year of intercollegiate golf, establishing himself as the fourth best player on the team, before a disturbing incident in his dorm room in 1995.

According to the alleged victim, a woman who was dating Walsh's roommate, Walsh was so miffed that she and his roommate might spend time on his bed while he was away that he booby-trapped his sheets with a stainless steel, six-pronged blender blade.

The woman, whose account was corroborated by Walsh's former roommate, said she vividly recalls being startled and slightly injured when she sat on the knife-sharp object. She said the episode forever changed her view of Walsh, whom she had known since high school and Walsh's roommate had considered his best friend since childhood.

The campus police and dean of students were alerted, and though no charges were filed, Walsh soon was dismissed from the golf team.

"It was a very malicious act," the woman said. "The fact that someone you considered a friend would do something that could possibly harm you like that is very creepy."

I know we all do stupid things in our youth, but that is sick and demented. The more I know about this guy, the more he makes my skin crawl. And Arlen Specter is treating him like some kind of hero.

One aspect of this whole spygate garbage that I'm not on board with and that some on this site seem to have married themselves to is the notion that if Walsh does have some kind of tapes, the fact that they were stolen will have some bearing on their impact. I highly doubt this. I mean, are the Pats really going to claim responsibility for them by saying they are their property and have been stolen? Not to mention that this is about the court of public opinion, which we've seen can force Goodell's hand. Sure the Pats might get back at Walsh personally for it, but it's not going to alleviate the situation.

One aspect of this whole spygate garbage that I'm not on board with and that some on this site seem to have married themselves to is the notion that if Walsh does have some kind of tapes, the fact that they were stolen will have some bearing on their impact. I highly doubt this. I mean, are the Pats really going to claim responsibility for them by saying they are their property and have been stolen? Not to mention that this is about the court of public opinion, which we've seen can force Goodell's hand. Sure the Pats might get back at Walsh personally for it, but it's not going to alleviate the situation.

I think any tape he has that shows the Pats videotaping the other team's defensive signals if he has no other tapes, only hurts his credibility. The Pats have already admitted to do that since 2000 and if he has the tapes, he has stolen property and that sheds doubts on his credibility on anything else he claims without evidence.

If he has the tape of the walkthrough which based on the article seems impossible, then it is another story and Belichick and the Pats are in trouble.

First, I don't think he has tapes of the walkthrough - he's never said he does. He may have some tapes of recording signals, etc.

Second, the Patriots can have it both ways. They can say that Walsh videotaped stuff without authorization and then stole the tapes which were the physical property of the Patriots before anything was recorded on them. The Patriots absolutely can claim theft of the physical item of the videotape without claiming knowledge nor responsibility of anything recorded on them.

Now, how that would play out publicly is anyone's guess but I don't think he has much new.

First, I don't think he has tapes of the walkthrough - he's never said he does. He may have some tapes of recording signals, etc.

Second, the Patriots can have it both ways. They can say that Walsh videotaped stuff without authorization and then stole the tapes which were the physical property of the Patriots before anything was recorded on them. The Patriots absolutely can claim theft of the physical item of the videotape without claiming knowledge nor responsibility of anything recorded on them.

Now, how that would play out publicly is anyone's guess but I don't think he has much new.

Yeah, I agree with that. The only thing is is how it would play out. I think really all that matters here is exactly WHAT he has.If it's just more signals from back then, then nothing will happen as that would be consistent with what Goodell said. If it's something new or different, (and I'm fairly certain that he doesn't have anything new or different) I think no matter what it's going to be very bad.

Incredible as it seems I learned more about this guy at the outset from a poster on the Planet quoting a poster on fannation who said he knew of Walsh through mutual friends, said he was fired from the Pats, said they could have filed charges at the time, and said there was an incident at Springfield College that he could have had charges filed on him too.

This guy is a pathological liar. There is always a shred of truth behind their version of the story. They embellish it to the point eventually it's nearly unrecognizable, but they often appear incredibly believable because they have come to believe the embellished story to be the truth. The really good ones are difficult to ferret out, the more careless or brazen ones get outed periodically. Usually they are charming enough to get off and they just move on and start the process over again. Sounds like Walsh won't be selling golf shoes in Maui too much longer. Although he may well still believe this situation remains his ticket to bigger and better opportunities...

Kudos to Hohler for following up - and shame on ESPN for playing footsies with this tool without ever kicking his tires because he HINTED he had something they desperately wanted - dirt on Belichick.

I am rather amazed at how much attention this guy gets.

To me, if a person waits 5 or 6 years (whatever it is), till the eve of the Super Bowl to smear his prior employer, just sceams "CREEP".

If the NFL or ESPN want to get into bed with this guy go right ahead, but beware of your new found association.

Incredible as it seems I learned more about this guy at the outset from a poster on the Planet quoting a poster on fannation who said he knew of Walsh through mutual friends, said he was fired from the Pats, said they could have filed charges at the time, and said there was an incident at Springfield College that he could have had charges filed on him too.

This guy is a pathological liar. There is always a shred of truth behind their version of the story. They embellish it to the point eventually it's nearly unrecognizable, but they often appear incredibly believable because they have come to believe the embellished story to be the truth. The really good ones are difficult to ferret out, the more careless or brazen ones get outed periodically. Usually they are charming enough to get off and they just move on and start the process over again. Sounds like Walsh won't be selling golf shoes in Maui too much longer. Although he may well still believe this situation remains his ticket to bigger and better opportunities...

Kudos to Hohler for following up - and shame on ESPN for playing footsies with this tool without ever kicking his tires because he HINTED he had something they desperately wanted - dirt on Belichick.

That's part of the larger story that bothers me, as well.

I believe it was an article by ESPN's Ombudsman that she mentioned reporter(s) had been in contact with Walsh since September. Over the course of 4 months, did they not look into this guy's background and story at all? I wouldn't expect them to find the Springfield College incident, but they should have been aware of things like the camera stations not having power, there was no press bus back from the stadium, etc. Basically, stuff that should have cast doubt over Walsh's version of events.

Or maybe they were aware of all that, but decided to run with story anyway.

In either case, it appears they were driven more by agenda than solid evidence.

Would it be a crime to kill this guy? I'm just curious, of course.

In either case, it appears they were driven more by agenda than solid evidence.

Could not agree more, it seems a function of idle, bored press that salivates about anything patriots.. seems more and more the issue of him being idemnified has more to do with possible criminal activity than law suits.. taping private conversations, stealing pats information.. but then again not sure how the NFL can idemnify him for that.

well..let's get it out in the open..and see what the creep has....I think it's been gone long enough...and ESPN and teh media-diots have been trying to get something on BB...NOT happening not with him...

The Globe story is thorough and contains a fact that I thought had been disproved--that Walsh had been a member of the Springfield College golf team. Apparently he was and the report that Springfield college could find no record of this which I repeated was false.

Apologies.

Last night flipping channels I saw an anchor bunny saying "agreement reached that could finally allow Mister Walsh to tell his story".

Pissed me off. We live in a country where (I don't care what you think of him personally) the media and most people refer to the president as "Bush", but this POS lying dirtbag Walsh is "Mister"?

I just want this to be over.....just let him come out with what he has...Im not gonna stop being a pats fan and I will always support BB and brady so screw it.

I do pray to god though that if Walsh is a liar and has nothing that Kraft makes all the "whistleblowers" pay dearly, starting with dough boy tomase..what ever happened to stoning? Wasnt that popular at one time?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back