PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Slauson fined $10K for block on Brian Cushing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Thursday that the NFL fined Slauson $10,000 for his peel-back block, which tore Cushing's anterior cruciate ligament and knocked him out for the season. It's the standard fine for such an offense, although a source told The Associated Press that Slauson, who defended the block as legal, will appeal.

link: Matt Slauson fined $10K for block on Brian Cushing - NFL.com

Wow, he got off cheap.

Not nearly enough IMO

Take out the leader of an opposing defense for the entire year, 10k fine. Hit a backup wr too soon after he caught the ball? 30k fine.

I agree with PATSYLICIOUS. Not nearly enough for a cheap tackle that cost the dude the season.

Take out the leader of an opposing defense for the entire year, 10k fine. Hit a backup wr too soon after he caught the ball? 30k fine.

It is not even as much about who he hit as it is the way he hit him.

Too much of a double standard in favor of Offense.

As cheap as the play was is it not a legal block?

That said where is the consistancey between fines? Is there really a 15-20 thousand dollar difference for hitting someone in the head or the knees? A dangerous play that potentially threatens a players health and/or career should probably be treated the same regardless of body position.

That said where is the consistancey between fines? Is there really a 15-20 thousand dollar difference for hitting someone in the head or the knees? A dangerous play that potentially threatens a players health and/or career should probably be treated the same regardless of body position.

Personally I'm hoping that the difference is knee vs head opposed to defense vs offense. From a team aspect the injuries are similar, but from a quality of life aspect they're hugely different.

I don't think you can fine someone for making a legal play that happens to result in injury.

Wonder what Joker will have to say about this ....

Should have been a 1 game suspension and a $20,000 fine

Chop blocks...intentional or not,have no place in this game

They were talking about this on Sirius yesterday.

While we pretty much all agree it was a cheap shot, it was in fact,within the existing rules.

So, in essence, Goodell is fining him because of the OUTCOME of the hit; if Cushing had gotten up after that play without injury, this would be a non issue.

Pretty slippery slope.

To all the people who are going to read only a few words of my post;

I'M NOT CONDONING THE HIT..IT WAS A DIRTY CHEAP SHOT

The guy went after a defenseless player from behind who was outside the range of the play and went after his knee. It was a dirty play deserving a fine. Look at it again --

brian-cushing-ACL.jpg

He should have at -least- been suspended a game in addition to the fine imo.

Yeah this block happens all the time. I can't find a vid in super slow mo so I wonder why it happened in this case. Just bad luck. Most times guy gets swept off his feet and right back up. It looks like he must of hit him while planting his leg and at an exact angle where shoe friction was greater than knee flex. Tough break...err tear.

Ps. Why all line of scrimmage type players don't wear super light weight braces on their knees amazes me. Shvt gets crazy down in there. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more actually.

Last edited:
That dirty POS got off lucky

So... he gets a $10,000 find for a hit with very obvious intent to injure and Belichick gets fined $50,000 for trying to get the attention of a replacement official.

:confused:

Looks like he got the rodent discount from Goodell.

I don't think you can fine someone for making a legal play that happens to result in injury.

It wasn't legal. You aren't allowed to blck below the knees from behind...that's been a rule for years.

I don't think they should fine higher just because of the result of the play. I doubt intent to injure was there. If tts the standard fine or that kind of personal foul then so be it...as long as they're consistent with it in the future.

IMO no ones goes out with true intent to injure. Guy was just playing hard. YOU try processing the game at that speed. He's taught to hit people and that's what he did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey