PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Slater: another in the long line of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What do these Patriots day-2 draft picks and UDFAs have in common?

Matt Slater
Oscar Lua
Matt Gutierrez
Pierre Woods
Matt Cassel
Randall Gay
Tom Brady

They weren't full-time starters for their major college football team. Most of them had outstanding athletic gifts, but for a variety of reasons couldn't unequivocally claim a starting spot. The Patriots have a strong pattern of interest in this particular type of late take-a-chance pick.

David Givens would qualify for that too, I believe.

David Givens would qualify for that too, I believe.
I thought Givens started for Notre Dame, but they were heavily run-based at the time and he was mostly a blocking WR.

I would liken that to the late round flier on someone who was hurt. The idea being you can get someone equally talented in the later rounds but they will have some sort of baggage, be it lack of PT, injuries, off field issues, ect.....

What do these Patriots day-2 draft picks and UDFAs have in common?

Matt Slater
Oscar Lua
Matt Gutierrez
Pierre Woods
Matt Cassel
Randall Gay
Tom Brady

They weren't full-time starters for their major college football team. Most of them had outstanding athletic gifts, but for a variety of reasons couldn't unequivocally claim a starting spot. The Patriots have a strong pattern of interest in this particular type of late take-a-chance pick.
What ever happened to Oscar Lua? THere was more hype about him last year than there is about Guyton and Redd this year.

What ever happened to Oscar Lua? THere was more hype about him last year than there is about Guyton and Redd this year.

Once he recovered from his IR injury, the Pats cut him, several weeks before the draft. Obviously, he failed to impress.

Last edited:
I thought Givens started for Notre Dame, but they were heavily run-based at the time and he was mostly a blocking WR.
He may have started, I'm not sure, but he fits the profile of a guy who's a better athlete than his college production and is the rare player who can be a better player at the pro level than at the college level.

I would liken that to the late round flier on someone who was hurt. The idea being you can get someone equally talented in the later rounds but they will have some sort of baggage, be it lack of PT, injuries, off field issues, ect.....

Absolutely, but the Pats seldom do take that flier on the injury cases like Michael Bush or Jack Ikegwuonu, or the small school studs like Andy Studebaker or Curtis Johnson, or the off-field problems like (too many to list). Lack of PT seems to be their MO for sleeper picks.

Once he recovered from his IR injury, the Pats cut him, several weeks before the draft. Obviously, he failed to impress.
Actually that is NOT true..he never recovered from his injury (at that time); failed a physical..THAT was why he was cut. Same thing hapened to Colvin and KBrady...

Don't forget about Jonathan Wilhite played along side David Irons and Patrick Lee.

Also, Gary Guyton who has exceptional measurable's and is hard to overlook. He had to play behind Philip Wheeler.

Other than being male human beings, Tom Brady and Oscar Lua have absolutely nothing in common. One has talent, the other...

I expect Bo Ruud and Gary Guyton to join Lua as ex-Patriots line by this time next year. They are too small for 3-4 OLB and too weak for 3-4 ILB. Guyton may have a future as a Tampa-2 LB; Ruud as TC fodder.

You are assuming that he recovered from his injury. He was cut for failing to pass his physical. Just like Colvin.

You are assuming that he recovered from his injury. He was cut for failing to pass his physical. Just like Colvin.

I'm not at all sure about that. It's a gray area -- they cut him AND he failed his physical, but that doesn't mean they cut him BECAUSE he failed his physical. It's possible that Lua would have been cut at the end of TC last year if he hadn't been injured, and they simply waited until they were allowed to make the cut.

Let's not forget Bingo Brown, taken in the 8th round.....which the NFL doesn't even have anymore......

Thanks SignBabyBrady for the oversight...

Last edited:
Let's not forget Bingo Brown, taken in the 7th round.....which the NFL doesn't even have anymore......

you mean 8th Troy was taken in the 8th round....NFL draft still has rd 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes