PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Ryan will dictate the Patriots draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole year when I watched college football I thought Woodson and Ryan were practically the same guy. Sure Woodson's release is weird. But they both hold the ball too long. Both had average talent around them. Both have a great arm. Both are more of a prototypical QB. And as far as I know Woodson has the better offenive numbers against better competition.

Then a month ago when all this NFL Draft stuff started I come to find out that Matt Ryan is not just better but in his own league and Woodson would be lucky to be a 1st rounder. I still don't know who I like more but I know neither guy is head and shoulders above the rest.

Woodson is not even close to Ryan. Woodson would end up fumbling the ball 10x more with that slow release. He throws the football like its a baseball with an actual wind up. Pass rushers would knock it out of his hands so often.

If Ryan fell to #7, then the Falcons would be very happy. Unless the Bears trade up, Falcons can pretty much get on the phone with Ryan on draft day and tell him he's going to be a Atl. Falcon.

Falcons wouldn't give up an '09 1st/2nd. They'd just offer their '08 1st and an '09 3rd at best. Falcons NEED to rebuild, and you can't rebuild by trading up 1 spot and getting rid of your '09 1st/2nd.

Again. Teams typically don't put all their eggs in one basket.

One team that you could probably see trading up for that #7 if Ryan fell is Carolina. David Carr can't blame Houston's Oline. Seeing how "well" Shaub did. Panthers are more desparate for a QB. They signed Testeverde and started him over Carr for a few games.

Perfect team for the Pats to deal with. Get middle round picks, like a Dan Connor 1st round and a middle round 2nd and or 3rd roudner?

Last edited:
I agree with the person who stated that we might have a lot of holes to fill next year.. Moving out of the 1st found, especially at the 7th pick, is ridiculous..

REMEMBER THIS TRADE

Cleveland swapped first-round picks (No. 7 for No. 6) with Detroit and the Browns also gave the Lions their second-round selection (No. 37 overall) to get the 6-foot-4, 243-pound Winslow.

The value chart is not a set rule but a guide line.. We could make out really nice by moving down a few spots..

Two more things.. I don't see us drafting a LB.. I see us going after a saftey/corner

BTW Conner is small and rated by Mike Mayock said he's a 2nd round pick..

Woodson is not even close to Ryan. Woodson would end up fumbling the ball 10x more with that slow release. He throws the football like its a baseball with an actual wind up. Pass rushers would knock it out of his hands so often.

If Ryan fell to #7, then the Falcons would be very happy. Unless the Bears trade up, Falcons can pretty much get on the phone with Ryan on draft day and tell him he's going to be a Atl. Falcon.

Falcons wouldn't give up an '09 1st/2nd. They'd just offer their '08 1st and an '09 3rd at best. Falcons NEED to rebuild, and you can't rebuild by trading up 1 spot and getting rid of your '09 1st/2nd.

Again. Teams typically don't put all their eggs in one basket.

One team that you could probably see trading up for that #7 if Ryan fell is Carolina. David Carr can't blame Houston's Oline. Seeing how "well" Shaub did. Panthers are more desparate for a QB. They signed Testeverde and started him over Carr for a few games.

Perfect team for the Pats to deal with. Get middle round picks, like a Dan Connor 1st round and a middle round 2nd and or 3rd roudner?

I agree, Carolina just might be the team to come knocking for Matt Ryan. But like I said, in order for us to be in this great position of hoping that Ryan falls to us, one key thing has to happen:

The Falcons HAVE TO WIN THE COIN FLIP AND GET THE #3 PICK. IMO, I truly believe that McFadden is going 3rd overall whether it be to the Falcons or the Raiders, if the Falcons get the 3rd pick it's McFadden, if they get the 4th pick, they'll take Matt Ryan. So let's all hope the Falcons win that coin flip, because that will cause the Matt Ryan slide down to us at #7.

The Falcons HAVE TO WIN THE COIN FLIP AND GET THE #3 PICK. IMO, I truly believe that McFadden is going 3rd overall whether it be to the Falcons or the Raiders, if the Falcons get the 3rd pick it's McFadden, if they get the 4th pick, they'll take Matt Ryan. So let's all hope the Falcons win that coin flip, because that will cause the Matt Ryan slide down to us at #7.

I'm not 100% convinced that either would without a doubt take McFadden. I think there's a very good chance, but I'm not sure it's as cut and dry as you said. I certainly hope the Falcons would be dumb enough to select McFadden at #3 when QB is clearly the bigger need, and maybe they would be (After all their new GM is coming from a team that certainly didn't need to look to the first round for a QB). The Patriots have always zigged when everyone thought they would zag in the draft, and Dimitroff was a big part of that operation. Don't count out the chance that he surprises you and goes defense, and then picks up a QB in round 2 or 3.

I agree with the idea of trading down, but i think your trade examples are way off. I am sure we could get a better deal then a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a top 10 first, and I also believe that in the Bears example, they would have to add more then a 4th to swap firsts with us. Our pick probably isn't worth two first round picks, but definetly a first and a second or third (this year or next).

Last edited:
I agree with the idea of trading down, but i think your trade examples are way off. I am sure we could get a better deal then a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a top 10 first, and I also believe that in the Bears example, they would have to add more then a 4th to swap firsts with us. Our pick probably isn't worth two first round picks, but definetly a first and a second or third (this year or next).

I agree with this analysis. And moving out of the first round completely wouldn't be unfathomable, but the consideration would have to be there.

The Pats' #7 pick is worth 1500 points on the trade value chart.

The Cowboys two #1 picks (#22 and #28) are a total of 1440 points.

For the Bears to move up from #14 (1100 points) to #7 (1500 points),

they would owe the Pats approximately 400 points. To close the 400 point

gap, the Pats would need to get the Bears' #2 draft choice (470 points).

I don't expect the Bears to trade up with the Pats to get a quarterback.

They seem determined to prove to the rest of the NFL that they can

compete for a championship with a mediocre quarterback.

The Pats' #7 pick is worth 1500 points on the trade value chart.

The Cowboys two #1 picks (#22 and #28) are a total of 1440 points.

This is it for me right here. If McFadden should somehow slip to the Patriots at #7 (which I don't think is likely, but some mocks have suggested it) then get Jerry Jones (who is known to lust after DM) on the phone and tell him "look, even trade".

That's a trade I would make 1000 times out of 1000, especially if you can spin one of those two picks to someone else for a 2009 #1 +, continuing that tradition and basically rendering the spygate punishment moot.

This is it for me right here. If McFadden should somehow slip to the Patriots at #7 (which I don't think is likely, but some mocks have suggested it) then get Jerry Jones (who is known to lust after DM) on the phone and tell him "look, even trade".

That's a trade I would make 1000 times out of 1000, especially if you can spin one of those two picks to someone else for a 2009 #1 +, continuing that tradition and basically rendering the spygate punishment moot.

I get what you're trying to say, but, not really. [Imagine if the Pats had three late 1st round picks.]

I get what you're trying to say, but, not really. [Imagine if the Pats had three late 1st round picks.]

Okay, you're right, I was exaggerating for effect, and I even considered editing the post earlier, but didn't bother.

Obviously three would be better than two, but I think you can get what I was trying to say. I guess I'll say that picking up that extra pick will soften the blow somewhat. When we got the pick from the 49ers, they obviously felt they would be much improved this year, and that this pick would be in the 20ish range anyways. So, if you want to look at it like that, we actually would have improved our position from where we THOUGHT we would be a year ago by acquiring Dallas' first rounders.

I haven't read the thread for details, but as I posted elsewhere, it would be both shocking and hugely desirable for no QBs to go top 6.

Simplest trade is for the Bears' 1st and 2nd, although that makes things crazy unless we spend some picks trading back up.

I think it would wind up with the Ravens, fearing such a trading, giving us #1 and #2 for #1, #2, and later picks. Actually, I'd try to keep #2 and give the Raiders' #3, because good players often go very early in rounds as teams draft for value after having previously addressed need.

why all this Matt Ryan talk? probably wont even be picked ahead Brohm..and both are overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes