PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Patricia has officially been named DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only really a change in a titular sense. Belichick is intriguing, though.

Interesting, for years I thought Pepper was destined to be the DC.

And I'm thinking Pepper thought the same. Now that he's moved to linebacker coaching duties, maybe he'll eventually get the chance, seeing as teams love to purloin our coaching talent.

-Jamman

And I'm thinking Pepper thought the same. Now that he's moved to linebacker coaching duties, maybe he'll eventually get the chance, seeing as teams love to purloin our coaching talent.

-Jamman

Doesn't StL need a DC :eek:

Congrats to Pat and the best to Pepper. I'm a fan of his.

He seemed to make adjustments in games that worked well! Denver regular season game!

Well done!

Great for Patricia. If he has BB's confidence to do this job, that's more than enough for me. But........I can still wish that our DC spelled his name C-r-e-n-n-e-l, can't I?

Last edited:
I posted last week that the player additions were complete; but there were still unfulfilled coaching vacancies, including DC.

Now those positions have been added, and defined.

We are now ready for the season, already in early May.

Pepper was great with the LBs several yeers ago when they had a lot of success - great move, IMO....good for Steve Belichick.....see he has the same name as his late grandfather :)

Steve B, HC of the NEP in 2021?

If you subscribe to the idea that Belichick didn't name Patricia DC last year in part because the personnel shortcomings would have gotten him roasted by the media and undermined his confidence, then this is probably an enouraging sign.

In any case, t minus 6 months or so before we start hearing that Patricia is a better DC than Belichick, from people who don't understand that the coaching is pretty much the same as last year, and only the talent on the field has really changed.

I like having a Rocket Scientist as the def Coordinator. Not that those skills translate to football but at least we know he's really smart and he has a passion for football and is willing to dedicate his life to it. Nice combo. His future is bright.

I thought that way back. Then came Pees. Then came nobody. Then Patricia seemed to emerge. You'd think after his tenure in New England, he'd be DC material. But maybe Pepper needs a little more seasoning.

I don't know if I am reading too much into this, but does anyone think BB did not want to put the burden of the defense on anybody when he was not sure of this personnel? Now that he knows the pieces are there to exploit, Patricia has been thrown to the fire.

Pretty much a formality at this point.

It's much, much more than a formality. Patricia may have called the plays in 2011, but BB was the guy overhauling the defense and making the personnel decisions. The fact that BB is willing to name Patricia DC now is both a strong vote of confidence for Patricia (much deserved), and a sign that the defensive overall is nearing completion - both in terms of personnel and in terms of scheme. That's a very good thing.

I thought that BB would remain DC for 2012 while making sure the defense was fully installed before turning it over to Patricia next year. The fact that BB is comfortable enough to do so now suggests that things are progressing well.

Sounds good, also thought that Pepper would be the one.. but guess Patricia passed the test.

Boyer has been around a while now..

Judge is from Alabama, who would've thunk about that connection.. :D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes