PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light's performance: Fluke or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phokus

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
At one point, the announcers were talking about how light was 'owning' merriman. Does that mean we keep him at LT? Or was this a fluke?

Last edited:
Fluke is an unfair term. He played extremely well yesterday, worked his butt off. Not only did he do a great job protecting Brady but he caught the Brady fumble immideatly before anything bad could happen.

At one point, the announcers were talking about how light was 'owning' merriman. Does that mean we keep him at LT? Or was this a fluke?
I wouldn't call it a fluke, but I wouldn't expect this type of play going forward every single game. Light is inconsistent. Sometimes he gets up for the challenge and handles his assignment well (see the Bears game this year, a few games vs. Freeney). Then there are games where he looks bad all-around, both with the speed- and bull-rush (Freeney's speed in a few games, Taylor's speed and power game this year).

Regards,
Chris

Fluke? Well this was his best game of the year hands down. Just because a guy gets injured and struggles the following year doesn't mean it is a fluke when he has a game that resembles normal form. Please do not bash me for saying that Matt's play yesterday is normal form, because if you analyze the tapes of our SB runs when we beat the Colts, you will see Matt Light shut down Dwight Freeny one on one. DO NOT take my word for it. Go back to the tapes.

The big question is whether or not he can consistantly play at that level. Baring injury and a kick in the butt, I don't see why not.

Light came up big like he has many times in his career. Matt's had a solid season, but I was afraid he'd be forever stigmatized because the great Jason Taylor beat him a few times. I hope the SD game will put the myths to rest. Ask the big-mouth Bolt-roid Merriman if Light was light's out Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes