PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light: Never "embraced" AH's beliefs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, it's one thing to take a 4th round flier on a guy and it's another to actually commit 8 years to him. Whatever little the organization knew when drafting him, they knew just as little at the time they extended him.

If a player knew that his behavior off the field was questionable, then I find it hard to believe the front office didn't as well. He performed on the field and they rolled the dice and gave him an extension. I hope they learned their lesson and stop taking chances on "risky" players.

Disagree and agree.
Disagree that you don't risk a lowly 4th on a talent that has "issues".
Agree that you don't spend a cap and real $ fortune on such a risky past player without BOTH vetting him more thoroughly (Hello! BB and security, this means you) AND protecting yourself via contract language.
Oh, I agree. I think it is understandable that we drafted him. I mean, there are probably loads and loads of shady characters in the NFL and very, very few end up the target of a murder probe. You figure the odds are on your side. Trouble is, this time we were that "1". It sucks, but it happens. That's gambling.

Decided. Bill remains decision maker, but takes a class in tattoo interpretation.

Steamer, just replied to note that I like your Avatar.

Stanley "Steamer" Morgan -- classic patriots. thanks.

Someone involved in the background checks before the big contract should be firednfor gross incompetence.

I think the obvious solution to the whole long-term contracts thing is to insert a provision in all contracts that bonus money is forfeit in the event of long-term incarceration.

Funny, most fans were giddy after signing both TE's which would keep them here long term. Don't be one of the "Captain Hindsight" crowd. Sure, we aren't privy to the locker room but I'm pretty sure the organization didn't put murderer in their list of character flaws.

If other players regarded him as a jerk then that was a warning flag ignored.

I didn't understand it at the time. Didn't think Hernandez was special enough not to make him play out his rookie contract.

I think the obvious solution to the whole long-term contracts thing is to insert a provision in all contracts that bonus money is forfeit in the event of long-term incarceration.

Incorrect....

Someone involved in the background checks before the big contract should be fired for gross incompetence.

Obviously, Hernandez did a great job of hiding his side activities from everyone. How can you blame the Patriots when the authorities couldn't nab him either? It's looking awfully possible that Hernandez was involved in a double-homicide drive-by last summer, and the police were even aware that he was at the bar and with a group in an argument with the victims, and they still had no inkling of his involvement in the killing.

This guy had us all fooled, including law enforcement. It would be unfair to hold the Patriots accountable for his actions.

Someone involved in the background checks before the big contract should be firednfor gross incompetence.

At the time it was easy to understand the Gronk Freak of Nature Extension! But as for Hernandez who is basically a Hybrid HB/Pass catching TE who can't Block. I thought his extension could have waited...this situation might be the begining of he end for those College Players who have troubled past. I think Teams are going to really stay the heck away from those players from now on.

Obviously, Hernandez did a great job of hiding his side activities from everyone. How can you blame the Patriots when the authorities couldn't nab him either? It's looking awfully possible that Hernandez was involved in a double-homicide drive-by last summer, and the police were even aware that he was at the bar and with a group in an argument with the victims, and they still had no inkling of his involvement in the killing.

This guy had us all fooled, including law enforcement. It would be unfair to hold the Patriots accountable for his actions.

That is what I thought, and is a very good point. It wasn't only the Patriots who fumbled, it was also law enforcement.

They knew he was there but he was never considered a suspect. They never thought to check him out closely, probably because such a thing was unthinkable. If they had checked him out, they would have found that the SUV he rented matched one described by witnesses.

Someone involved in the background checks before the big contract should be fired for gross incompetence.

This.

I said this in another thread. Someone loses a job on this deal.

I think Hernandez stood for the right of Tibet to be recognized as a sovereign nation. Light obviously disagreed.

Does this mean the Dalai Lama will be visiting Hernandez in prison?

Well, the Ravens glorified Lewis and continue to do so. That will not happen here. It will be as if AH never existed.

I don't want to get into a flame war between Ravens and Pats fans, as I've never worshiped at the alter of Ray Lewis. But there are huge differences between his and Hernandez's situations. The biggest and most relevant to your post being how their employers reacted to their arrests. The Ravens, knowing Ray's character and what facts were available at the time, were very confident that Ray didn't kill anyone. So Modell and Billick put their own reputations on the line and stood behind Lewis. Turns out they were (mostly) justified, as it became apparent that Ray didn't kill anyone, and the two men who most likely did the stabbing were acting in self-defense.

Meanwhile, Hernandez's employers cut bait immediately, based no doubt on the same things that the Ravens looked at: Aaron's character and the facts of the case that were available at the time. To them it was a no-brainer to release him, and we're starting to see why.

To try to make the two cases, and the subsequent reactions to them by each organization and its fans, seem identical, or even all that similar, is a big reach.

Quote:
Aaron Hernandez was in constant fear that someone wanted him dead ... and that's why he stocked up on firearms ... sources close to the former New England Patriots star tell TMZ.

We're told ... the stories about Aaron's connections to gang members in Connecticut are real -- because the 23-year-old had joined one back when he was a teenager.

Sources connected to Aaron tell us ... he had been trying to move away from the gangster life ever since he signed his fat $40 million contract with the Patriots back in 2012, but it's not as easy as it sounds.

In fact, we're told Aaron believed people in the gangster world felt Aaron owed them something ... but it wasn't all about money -- they wanted his time and respect.

Sources say ... in the months leading up to the death of Odin Lloyd, Hernandez became paranoid that people from his "old lifestyle" were trying to kill him. It's unclear if Aaron feared scorned friends ... or rivals.

Read more: Aaron Hernandez -- People Were Out to Kill Me | TMZ.com
Visit Fishwrapper: Fishwrapper Home | Fishwrapper.com

There may be something to us. I've heard that the MSP believe that Hernandez' old gang buddies were all over him once he got the big contract, seeking money and support for various questionable activities. It's not too difficult to imagine that any attempt by Hernandez to separate himself would be met by threats of violence. The way I heard it characterized is that Hernandez was in way over his head and had no idea how to get out of trouble.

While this would in no way excuse his actions, it would potentially shed some light on why a talented 23 year old guy who had everything in the world going for him would act so foolishly.

On the other hand, maybe he really is a murderous sociopath.

"Never embraced his Beliefs." :confused:

TF???
blink.gif

What was he...a Scientologist, or something??
huh.gif

My GOD...

Hernandez really is an @$$* . :eek:

I would go so far to speculate that this will cost someone a job in foxboro. Who it is, I have no clue. It just seems to me that someone would have to take the fall for this deal.

The decision ultimately rests with Bill Belichick and the Krafts. Firing anyone below them would merely be scapegoating.

Without knowing what Light meant, it is tough to comment. Fact is that there are bad characters in every locker room. Those bad characters can be anything from being a diva to a malcontent to a thug. I am sure that Hernandez's thug life did drip into the locker room. Unless he is complete sociopath (which is possible), it is impossible to live a double life.

From what we have heard (which needs to be taking with a grain of salt a bit since it is all leaking after the fact), Hernandez didn't really associate with his teammates and he did bring around his gang or gang-like associates. Sounds the exact opposite to Light who seems to be a very social regular guy.

Light might not have liked Hernandez, but it could be more because of his attitude towards his teammates and his sense of entitlement rather than anything related all the crap we have learned this week. Or he could have insight to his thug life and isn't surprised by any of this.

There may be something to us. I've heard that the MSP believe that Hernandez' old gang buddies were all over him once he got the big contract, seeking money and support for various questionable activities. It's not too difficult to imagine that any attempt by Hernandez to separate himself would be met by threats of violence. The way I heard it characterized is that Hernandez was in way over his head and had no idea how to get out of trouble.

While this would in no way excuse his actions, it would potentially shed some light on why a talented 23 year old guy who had everything in the world going for him would act so foolishly.

On the other hand, maybe he really is a murderous sociopath.

Two thoughts here:

(1) The double homicide, if he was involved, was BEFORE he officially got the big contract.

(2) If he was having these troubles, AND he was innocent of crimes himself at the time, he could have sought help: as Jim Brown noted, Bill Belichick has been to prisons, he's met with gang members. He's not this mad professor in an ivory tower. I'm not saying that he would come up with a solution himself, but at the very minimum, he'd be able to offer advice.

Plus I know the Patriots work hard to help their players. This would be a more serious situation than most, but I'm sure they could have helped Hernandez achieve a better resolution than this—if he really wanted to get out of that lifestyle.

Part of me agrees with this and part of me doesn't. Yes, when you invest tens of millions of dollars in a player, you need to do your homework. On the other hand, there are a lot of bad eggs in the NFL who never get in trouble with the law. Just because he hangs with some shady people doesn't necessarily mean he will ever get in trouble with the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back