PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light, Kevin Faulk to start out Training Camp on active/PUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Hearing that Matt Light and Kevin Faulk will start out Pats' Training Camp on PUP.

Twitter/Aaron Wilson

Patriots T Matt Light and RB Kevin Faulk on physically unable to perform list.

Last edited:
Re: Matt Light, Kevin Faulk to start out on PUP

Good luck with that...;)

Both were coming off off season surgeries so it only makes sense to take it one step at a time until you're sure they can compete.

Good luck with that...;)

Both were coming off off season surgeries so it only makes sense to take it one step at a time until you're sure they can compete.
Yeah, this shouldn't really come as a surprise.

More of a concern to Faulk (and to a lesser extent to Light) than it is or should be to fans of the Patriots.

While Faulk on the PUP is no surprise, Light, at least to me is a surprise. My first reaction was, why would the Pats commit so much money to Light when he isn't ready to play, especially given the short preparation run up to this season.

My second thought was that part of the deal for him to come back was the assurance that he wouldn't have to go through an entire training camp. You know, "Bill, I take the first 2 weeks of training camp off, meanwhile you can give those reps to the kids, and we both will be better off."

.....and maybe he might be right. ;)

Things aren't always a surprise or a conspiracy or part of a wink wink deal. Sometimes it simply is what it is... Better these two remain eligible to start the season on PUP than end it on IR before it even starts... Even Welker thought he did not need or want it started last season on PUP. Bill is a situational guy and he's playing the situation exactly as it should be. Can Solder use the reps? Absolutely. But Light will be out there once they are sure he is physically ready to practice consistently. Faulk may remain on PUP as simple insurance in case someone else gets hurt or one of the rookies isn't making the grade.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the positive side, this may be a way to stash Kevin away as an extra RB and activate him during the season if another RB goes on IR

When I read the title, I thought that Light and Faulk were to start the SEASON on the PUP list. That was a concern with regard to Light, but not Faulk.

Obviously, neither needs practice time for the next four weeks.

I could see Faulk starting the season on the PUP list. That would allow us to have 6 running backs in 5 roster spots, with someone cut or put on IR at mid-sason.

Hearing that Matt Light and Kevin Faulk will start out on PUP.

Twitter/Aaron Wilson

Patriots T Matt Light and RB Kevin Faulk on physically unable to perform list.

When I read the title, I thought that Light and Faulk were to start the SEASON on the PUP list. That was a concern with regard to Light, but not Faulk.

I could see Faulk starting the season on the PUP list. That would allow us to have 6 running backs in 5 roster spots, with someone cut or put on IR at mid-sason.

yeah, I'd honestly be surprised if anything but that happens.

Making it through the whole season without a RB tearing something?

Re: Matt Light, Kevin Faulk to start out Training Camp on PUP

Good points.

I'm not sure Faulk would be well-served by a full season of wear-and-tear anyway.

On the positive side, this may be a way to stash Kevin away as an extra RB and activate him during the season if another RB goes on IR

Yes, this would be best. A well rested Faulk could be big later on in the season.

Solder needs the reps for sure. Hopefully Light will get his work in.

Quick question MG - If you start the season on the team PUP after they have to cut down to the final 53, does that guarantee you get paid your contract that season?. If so, while there are advantages for them starting Faulk on the PUP as you stated, there is the disadvantage of absorbing his cap hit. Just a thought

When I was at practice on Thursday Nite, saw Light and Solder rotating for a while.. maybe he realized he was not as well as he thought he was.

Cannot be that bad, why would they spend all that cash on him...

When I was at practice on Thursday Nite, saw Light and Solder rotating for a while.. maybe he realized he was not as well as he thought he was.

Cannot be that bad, why would they spend all that cash on him...

I'm confused. Once you practice, even for one play you cannot be on PUP as the thread title indicates. Someone is wrong.

1) Faulk would definitely be guaranteed his salary for the year if he starts on the 53.

2) If Faulk starts of the PUP, I don't know what guarantees there are if he is then waived. More likely, he would be put on IR, not taking up a spot, and he would get paid his contracted injury amount (most have such a clause). That amount would end up be about the same as 8 weeks on PUP at full salary.

BOTTOM LINE
I would certainly consider putting Faulk on the PUP list if the other five are healthy and are playing reasonably well.

Quick question MG - If you start the season on the team PUP after they have to cut down to the final 53, does that guarantee you get paid your contract that season?. If so, while there are advantages for them starting Faulk on the PUP as you stated, there is the disadvantage of absorbing his cap hit. Just a thought

Good points.

I'm not sure Faulk would be well-served by a full season of wear-and-tear anyway.

Absolutely ... we want him around for the stretch run.

Two vets who have quality understudies that need reps in a shortened camp.
I see no problem with this. It will all work out for "the good of the team".

I'm confused. Once you practice, even for one play you cannot be on PUP as the thread title indicates. Someone is wrong.

Thats true, but did the rules change?

I thought I heard of some changes with injured players in the new CBA.

Faulk to PUP

"According to ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss, the Patriots plan to stash Kevin Faulk (ACL surgery) on the reserve/PUP list to start the season.
It's the only sensible move. Faulk has yet to participate in camp, and the Pats have a crowded house backfield. Staying on the roster via the PUP list is a smart way to keep Faulk in the locker room for his much valued leadership.
Source - Rotoworld.com

Re: Faulk to PUP

Interesting. Hopefully it is nothing too serious.

Re: Faulk to PUP

Makes sense. I really want Faulk around as 3rd down back insurance in case Woodhead gets hurt (don't like Benny's receiving, don't trust the rookies' blitz pickup), but worst case scenario they're going weeks 1-6 without him. And most importantly, it gets him into the locker room and team meetings without taking up a roster spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down