PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light has the flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this last year before the AFC Championship Game and I'll ask it again now: why don't the Patriots give their players flu shots? AFAIK it is not a banned substance...

FWIW, flu shots typically wouldn't be given yet this early in the year.

Yeah, I know, and it isn't really flu season yet. I only posed the question because of what happened last year. But if it irritates He Ban Me, well, that's good too!

You know how the media is. I've heard the suggestion (of a flu shot) already this year. AND the flu has been circulating in central Indiana already as well. The shots are available, and as always, are suggested. Could be any one of a multitude of reasons why a person might not want to take them. but it was an interesting suggestion.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know, and it isn't really flu season yet. I only posed the question because of what happened last year. But if it irritates He Ban Me, well, that's good too!

Here's some more about your hero, Don Banks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...courtesy of Don Banks...

"Everybody knows the AFC has out-classed the NFC this decade, but here's one theory why: Since the beginning of the Pats** reign in 2001 -- which happens to have coincided with Tom Brady's ascension to starting quarterback -- New England's superiority has provided the rest of the AFC with a team to try and both emulate and compete with. It gave the rest of the conference a definable standard that had to be met if you intended to play on the same field as the Pats**. It forced AFC teams to elevate their games, and that heightened competition pushed franchises like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Denver and San Diego to try and match New England's gains every year."

Interesting that Baltimore actually won the Super Bowl in 2000, but they probably did so knowing that Tom Brady would be arriving soon and they would have no shot thereafter. Denver, too, had been nowhere near championship level status before 2001 and certainly not during 1997-98. Good thing too that Indy drafted Peyton Manning in 1998 to try to keep up with New England.

And we Steeler fans owe the Pats** a debt of gratitude too. After making the playoffs seven times between 1992 and 2001, with three AFC title games and a Super Bowl appearance in that time, it was only after Tom Brady arrived that they started to seriously think about competing for a championship.

Nice job, Don Banks. Slurp your bloody Pats** even though they haven't won jack squat in three years.

Here's some more about your hero, Don Banks:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...courtesy of Don Banks...

"Everybody knows the AFC has out-classed the NFC this decade, but here's one theory why: Since the beginning of the Pats** reign in 2001 -- which happens to have coincided with Tom Brady's ascension to starting quarterback -- New England's superiority has provided the rest of the AFC with a team to try and both emulate and compete with. It gave the rest of the conference a definable standard that had to be met if you intended to play on the same field as the Pats**. It forced AFC teams to elevate their games, and that heightened competition pushed franchises like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Denver and San Diego to try and match New England's gains every year."

Interesting that Baltimore actually won the Super Bowl in 2000, but they probably did so knowing that Tom Brady would be arriving soon and they would have no shot thereafter. Denver, too, had been nowhere near championship level status before 2001 and certainly not during 1997-98. Good thing too that Indy drafted Peyton Manning in 1998 to try to keep up with New England.

And we Steeler fans owe the Pats** a debt of gratitude too. After making the playoffs seven times between 1992 and 2001, with three AFC title games and a Super Bowl appearance in that time, it was only after Tom Brady arrived that they started to seriously think about competing for a championship.

Nice job, Don Banks. Slurp your bloody Pats** even though they haven't won jack squat in three years.

Funny, the rest of us don't see much difference between the two of you. He's washing our balls from afar, and you choose to spend your days on our fan site licking our ball sweat. Why the else would you spend so much time here.

Just go to the Colts site and talk about how wonderful the Colts are (and I think you guys are) and this stuff won't bug you. We'll see you in November.

I'm just busting your stones. As trolls go, you ain't the worst.

Last edited:
What happens when animals are scared to death? They make lots of noise...

Funny, the rest of us don't see much difference between the two of you. He's washing our balls from afar, and you choose to spend your days on our fan site licking our ball sweat. Why the else would you spend so much time here.

Just go to the Colts site and talk about how wonderful the Colts are (and I think you guys are) and this stuff won't bug you. We'll see you in November.

just busting your stones. As trolls go, you ain't the worst.

Could you scratch my nutz? Hey man, it doesn't bug me, just trying to keep things fair and balanced! (One thread at a time!)

You never know it might be food poisoning that is flu like and not contagious and he may be fine by game time.

Whatever. Keep him out of the freakin locker room!

Whatever. Keep him out of the freakin locker room!

That's a very good reccomendation. We isolate patients with this until they're better. Unfortunately, most of the guys on the team have little kids, and they're like little petri dishes. They get it the worst, than spread it through the house. Keep him home, and let him get better.

I am really not liking this report. There are alot of key guys listed as questionable. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this here.

Questionable:
CB Randall Gay (thigh)
C Dan Koppen (ankle)
LT Matt Light (flu)
RB Laurence Maroney (groin)
S Mel Mitchell (groin)
G Stephen Neal (shoulder)
CB Asante Samuel (foot)
WR Donte' Stallworth (knee)
ILB Adalius Thomas (ankle)
WR Kelley Washington (hamstring)

Of the group, Light and Mitchell did not practice. The rest of the players had limited participation in practice.

Probable:
QB Tom Brady (right shoulder)
OL Wesley Britt (personal)

Don't you come down sick with a mild case of flu after one of those flu shots? If anyone takes a flu shot then it must be done during the by week annyways

Oooh, that's scary. One guy has the flu on a Friday, how many have it by Sunday? :(

Unfortunately I have this too - my son's throwing up, though I'm not... it does completely sap one of energy and alternates cold sweats and chills

Body is one big ache as well

If they have what I have it seems like its a 3 day body flu of sorts

The good news is that a good handful of Advil every few hours has allowed me to push aside the symptoms and get through my work days - not that my job involves tackling like theirs

Don't you come down sick with a mild case of flu after one of those flu shots? If anyone takes a flu shot then it must be done during the by week annyways

To get a mild case of the flu after a flu shot isn't necessarily so. To be on the safe side, I'd pass out a crap load of hand sanitizer to the team.

FWIW, Ever since I bought into the theory that our immune systems are compromised in this day and age, our family has taken Echinacea( a herbal supplement) to boost our immune systems. For the past 8yrs, we have markedly less sickness, colds, and the few flu bouts,(only remember a couple) have only been 1-2 day duration. Every Sept, and usually late winter, we take a couple of echinacea every day, for about a month, and I believe its kept my 2 kids and I very healthy! Maybe the team should work on getting their collective immune systems healther!

To get a mild case of the flu after a flu shot isn't necessarily so. To be on the safe side, I'd pass out a crap load of hand sanitizer to the team.

Hand sanitizer for a virus?

I am really not liking this report. There are alot of key guys listed as questionable. I'm surprised more hasn't been made of this here.

Questionable:
CB Randall Gay (thigh)
C Dan Koppen (ankle)
LT Matt Light (flu)
RB Laurence Maroney (groin)
S Mel Mitchell (groin)
G Stephen Neal (shoulder)
CB Asante Samuel (foot)
WR Donte' Stallworth (knee)
ILB Adalius Thomas (ankle)
WR Kelley Washington (hamstring)

Of the group, Light and Mitchell did not practice. The rest of the players had limited participation in practice.

Probable:
QB Tom Brady (right shoulder)
OL Wesley Britt (personal)

That's because we, like most everyone else, don't really know what the injury report really means. After a number of years of this, people start to lose the desire to continually speculate and are willing to just wait to see what happens...

I don't think things like the flu are taken that seriously and it's assumed they can play through it with help from IVs, etc. Remember the night before the AFCCG against the Steelers, Brady had a 103-degree fever. I recall during the Tuna regime when Matt Barr was puking before a game. Tuna ordered another player to tell Barr to be sick on his own time. :rofl:

Last edited:
FWIW, Ever since I bought into the theory that our immune systems are compromised in this day and age, our family has taken Echinacea( a herbal supplement) to boost our immune systems. For the past 8yrs, we have markedly less sickness, colds, and the few flu bouts,(only remember a couple) have only been 1-2 day duration. Every Sept, and usually late winter, we take a couple of echinacea every day, for about a month, and I believe its kept my 2 kids and I very healthy! Maybe the team should work on getting their collective immune systems healther!

Elderberry works even better when you are actually feeling sick or exposed to sickness. Drink that stuff and it actually kills flu on contact in your system. It actually neutralizes the flu cell so it can't reproduce.

If I get a cold or anything I just drink elderberry for a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back