PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light and the draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Va_Pats_Fan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Anyone think 'Todd' could be dangled for a 3rd...or even a 2nd if packaged with a 6th or 7th?

Could be, but why?

Doubt it............ seriously doubt it...

One thing I think that many people overlook with the Pats is the premium that BB puts on our Oline continuity. He's not shipping out anyone on our offensive line, for draft picks. I think he's pretty happy with the Oline and especially Light!

I'd take anything for him.

he only gave up 2 sacks in 688 snaps i don't see why the pats would trade him for a 3rd round pick that may not even make the team. there is not CAP so he is not eating up space. he's got at lest one more year at LT

the pats need to see if Sebastian Vollmer, is the real deal i think he is. but still Nick Kaczur, sucks and i don't want him starting. ill take light for one more year.

Everytime I open a thread these days somebody is suggesting we trade one of our most important players. What gives?

Don't mess with Brady's blindside.

I could see trading him if his salary was too high. I'd like to trade mankins and move light to guard. that would be a better idea, I think. Mankins is gone next year.

Everytime I open a thread these days somebody is suggesting we trade one of our most important players. What gives?

I didn't suggest we should trade him. Given that its his last year, and that seabass performed well last year, I was wondering if this would be a serious possibility.

One thing I think that many people overlook with the Pats is the premium that BB puts on our Oline continuity. He's not shipping out anyone on our offensive line, for draft picks. I think he's pretty happy with the Oline and especially Light!

"He's not shipping out anyone on our offensive line, for draft picks".

I beg to differ. Do you have inside information?
DW Toys

I didn't suggest we should trade him. Given that its his last year, and that seabass performed well last year, I was wondering if this would be a serious possibility.

Good point.
DW Toys

Its a long season and injuries happen. it would be crazy to ship out a mainstay of the line and thin the depth. No way.

Its a long season and injuries happen. it would be crazy to ship out a mainstay of the line and thin the depth. No way.
Yep, I agree completely.

When the season starts I want at least six players capable of starting on the offensive line, four that can start on the d-line, etc.

On the two lines in particular I think it's vitally important. I have no stats to back me up, but it seems to me that linemen are limping off the field every NFL game. Even if they show up in stat sheets as playing, those injured players are less effective.

For example where would the Pats' offensive line have been last year without Vollmer? Where would the Pats' defensive line have been the last several years without Jarvis Green?

Before we trade away players, let's consider depth; injuries happen.

Light has lost a step on the outside speed rushers and his attepts at RT were awful. But I think this will be kind of like the DL position where we couldnt keep both Wilfork and Seymour, Mankins is going to demand top $$ and with Vollmer behind him Light wont be here next year if he doesnt want to take a paycut and play Guard. Reason, just as another poster said, continuity.

I see Bill going after a G/RT type ... if at all in this draft. Light will be here through this year barring injury.

I won't be surprised to see Bill grab Edwin Veldheer later in the 2nd or early 3rd if he moves around.

Grabbing him for value may prove difficult ... he may have to grab him early to get him.

Last edited:
Light has lost a step on the outside speed rushers and his attepts at RT were awful. But I think this will be kind of like the DL position where we couldnt keep both Wilfork and Seymour, Mankins is going to demand top $$ and with Vollmer behind him Light wont be here next year if he doesnt want to take a paycut and play Guard. Reason, just as another poster said, continuity.

What ... Matt Light will never play guard for the Patriots ... he's not strong enough .. he's a technique player.

Light actually had a very good season barring his injury.

He plays well in our line scheme ... and at a decent price.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots