PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Chatham: Don't buy the "new" Joe Flacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Former Pat, Matt Chatham, wrote a pretty good piece for the Herald today breaking down the "new" Flacco and how he may have problems with the Pats' two deep safety, rarely blitzing defense.

Unfortunately, he still forces the ball into dangerous and ill-advised places a little too much. Case in point, the interception by Philadelphia’s DeMeco Ryans, thrown into basically triple coverage, would’ve made even Brett Favre blush. His two game films thus far are littered with interception-worthy balls that weren’t. With the glut of man-to-man defense and single deep-middle safety that they’ve seen against Cincinnati and Philadelphia, Flacco has gotten away with some **** Bavettas — just tossing up jump balls as is the typical read against those coverages.

Some have worked swimmingly, like the double-move touchdown to Jones against pressure in the Philly game. Others were very fortunate to have not been returned for touchdowns in the other direction, like the 25-yard completion to Jones in the Cincy game where the corner wasn’t fooled by the double-move at all, but badly mistimed his jump on the ball.

These are “faith throws,” which I’m not convinced makes this offense better in the long run. As I watched Flacco as his better self, moving the free safety wide with his shoulders and throwing a perfect laser to Anquan Boldin down the middle of the field for a 34-yard touchdown against Cincy, I’m even less convinced the George Michael quarterbacking concept makes sense for this team.

If Flacco continues to make risky intermediate decisions, the “go-get-its” only add another layer of risk, an unnecessary development for a team with one of the better offensive weapons in the NFL in Ray Rice, and a defense that continues to get turnovers.

The problem for the Ravens, as this stuff relates to the Pats, is they’ll see very little single-high safety or blitz packages, if any at all. If they still choose to throw “go-get-its,” they’ll likely be to an area with two defenders.

Don’t buy ‘new’ Joe Flacco - BostonHerald.com

re: Matt Chatham: Don't buy the "new" Joe Flacco

I love reading intelligent analysis from football guys.

Wish we could read more of this instead of Welker vs Edelman garbage and pinkhat McDaniel thrashing.

Former Pat, Matt Chatham, wrote a pretty good piece for the Herald today breaking down the "new" Flacco and how he may have problems with the Pats' two deep safety, rarely blitzing defense.
I kinda liked his breakdown of their hurry up, which really isn't as dynamic as what our defense faces in practice. I like Chattham's keen eye.

But to the main point about the Chuck It Up For Grabs tactic, yeh, they may have some trouble doing that against the non blitzing Pats (who seem to cover a whole lot better than even the AFCCG.) Also we should be showing some new looks from Wilson who can line up in places Flacco has not seen yet.

To me the crowd is a big deal and they need to not let it get too revved up, although that does make for some great tension. The last two minutes of that 2007 game were unforgettable. We'll be lucky to duplicate that.

Really bright guy to listen to and read. I find him objective, interesting and informative. My favorite ex-Pat/Jet...

I miss the days ... the Super bowl days when we did CB blitzes and S blitzes here and there. Yeah sure the rules were different then but those plays were great for keeping the opponent honest. When was the last time we did a CB blitz?

I miss the days ... the Super bowl days when we did CB blitzes and S blitzes here and there. Yeah sure the rules were different then but those plays were great for keeping the opponent honest. When was the last time we did a CB blitz?

Ihedigbo the S and Edelman the CB both blitzed last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIG2IvNI2Q

Last edited:

Flacco looks absolutely brilliant at times, I watched both games this year and of course the AFCC and he made incredible throws, some under great pressure. It's not a product of anything but outstanding QB'ing on his part.

That said, he and the Ravens have had similar stretches before but haven't consistently kept it. Like I pointed out in another thread in 2009 they started 3-0, PPG in the mid 30's and Flacco had #'s way above his average output then eventually fizzled over the course of the season. Until he keeps this up I'm just going to chalk it up as another of his hot streaks and he'll finish the season as a borderline top 10 QB if that. He's a decent QB and they've been a great team but still a notch below Brady and the Pats (the Flacco-Brady gap is wider of course).

flacco looks great one game and terrible the next. and it never seems to have anything to do with the defense...its him, and a bit of terrible playcalling at times...

dont use ray rice...hes only one of the best rb's in the league...

I said before the week 1 game that people were going to overreact to his domination, even though it was against the worst pass defense in the NFL. Everybody did. There's one good player in the Bengals secondary, and he's coming off an Achilles injury that would have put most guys on PUP to start the season. The two safeties are fast guys with no coverage skills and they're also trying to get some snaps out of three over the hill CBs. Now I don't expect Flacco to bomb as badly against the Pats as he did against the Eagles, but it'll be closer to that than what he did to the Bengals.

Week 1:
Flacco vs the Bengals: 72.4%, 10.3 YPA, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 128.4 Rating
Weeden vs the Eagles: 34.3%, 3.4 YPA, 0 TDs, 4 INT, 5.1 Rating
Week 1's headlines: "Flacco has taken the next step." "Weeden is the worst QB in the NFL."

Week 2:
Flacco vs the Eagles: 52.4%, 5.5 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT, 66.8 Rating
Weeden vs the Bengals: 70.3%, 8.7 YPA, 2 TD, 0 INT

Based on those numbers, I'm pretty confident saying that Flacco's week 1 performance was more of the defense's doing than Flacco's. Now I just hope the Pats are closer to the Eagles than to the Bengals.

Last edited:

It would be very nice to see the Defense put a beat down on the Ravens. I'm living vicariously through the D after the O's performance against the Cardinals.

Someone who finally talks sense. He's made some nice throws...I'll grant him that...but he disappears for large chunks and goes on cold streaks still and, if he'd faced a team with better ball skills, should have been picke off on at least five occasions over two games.

The only thing that scares me is the fact it's away at their place. On their travels the Ravens' D looks old and slow but, with home field, they look rejuvenated. Flacco is, well, just Flacco.

Didn't Matt Chatham tell us last week that McDaniels was SO unprdictable that it would be a tall task to stop it. He said there are no tendencies. This was leading up to the Arizona game....then the Patriots offense goes out and lays an egg and Arizona players and coaches are yapping post game about how they knew what plays the Pats were running.....thanks for the insight Matt....

Oh, and I bet Flacco plays better and has fewer turnovers than Brady on Sunday...Brady had that Bledsoe look about him against Arizona....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing