PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEDAL

Rookie
Reaction score
Will Matt Cassel ever be able to make an impact as a patriot? I know Brady is already 29 but by the time Brady is finished wouldnt the Patriots go with a younger QB than Cassel. I hope Cassel doesnt settle as Brady's backup his whole career b/c he has a lot of potential and it would be a shame to let that go to waste. I mean I dont mind him being our backup but it would be nice to see him suceed even if it was with another team.

NEDAL said:
Will Matt Cassel ever be able to make an impact as a patriot? I know Brady is already 29 but by the time Brady is finished wouldnt the Patriots go with a younger QB than Cassel. I hope Cassel doesnt settle as Brady's backup his whole career b/c he has a lot of potential and it would be a shame to let that go to waste. I mean I dont mind him being our backup but it would be nice to see him suceed even if it was with another team.
The odds say he'll have to play the better part of a full year sooner or later. He'd do well to aspire to the level of a Billy Volek. Maybe a John Kitna.

lets just say hes our Gerrard or Schaub..can play nicely when called upon.

The Cowboys Have 2 More said:
IMO I think Schaub is better than Vick

schaub had a pretty good game against us last season

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cowboys Have 2 More said:
and thats saying alot

not really seing as how we were one of the worst agianst the pass last yr

Oh, let's think big.

If Brady's Montana, who does that make Cassel?

Heh.

PFnV

hmm YOUNG! vince...err i mean STEVE YOUNG

Remix 6 said:
lets just say hes our Gerrard or Schaub..can play nicely when called upon.
Lets just HOPE he's our Gerrard or Schaub... he hasn't really proven it yet.

can play nicely when called upon: this is the definition of a good backup at any position. Again, we HOPE he is that.

I think Cassel was a steal. But I could be wrong.

Since the guy's started one regular season game since high school, why not Johnny Unitas? Dan Marino?

Gus Frerotte? Rob Johnson?

I have no idea. And neither do you.

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
Lets just HOPE he's our Gerrard or Schaub... he hasn't really proven it yet.

can play nicely when called upon: this is the definition of a good backup at any position. Again, we HOPE he is that.

Hopefully we don't ever have to see Matt really prove anything. I think the plan is to have him look good enough in pre-season and perhaps mopup duty this year and possibly next that he generates the kind of buzz that surrounds Schaub. Only in our case he wouldn't be untradeable, just costly. He is signed through 2008. If he has designs on starting they won't be realized here except under a worst case scenario. He knows that, BB knows that and the league knows that. If he's remotely good enough to start (not here but anywhere where they don't have a franchise player or the ability to draft one or the opportunity or means to sign an established one in FA) he will be far too expensive for us to keep as a backup beyond 2008 anyway. Brady is signed through 2010 and will likely be extended in the forseeable future to finish his career here god willing in 2012-13 or so.

I read in Patriot Reign that BB admired those franchises in the past who groomed later round QB's and used them as inexpensive backups and then flipped them for far better picks than they cost. It was a value added formula. He would like to make a habit of doing that. You can always pick up a recycled veteran backup if the formula doesn't pan out.

PatsFanInVa said:
Oh, let's think big.

If Brady's Montana, who does that make Cassel?

Heh.

PFnV

Yea PFnV! I've been telling everyone Cassel=Young since he was drafted. Here's another: Chad Jackson = Rice.

RayClay said:
I think Cassel was a steal. But I could be wrong.

Since the guy's started one regular season game since high school, why not Johnny Unitas? Dan Marino?

Gus Frerotte? Rob Johnson?

I have no idea. And neither do you.
I'm not sure who "you" refers to here, but I assume you're replying to Remix 6, not me.

YEAH Mav, and Maroney is clearly Gale Sayers!

Oh goddammit, it's still the preseason... that's who they are until proven otherwise LOL!

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye