PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel vs. Brett Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I keep hearing how "great" Brett Favre has looked this preseason from the media and Jets fans. Jim Mora was just on NFL Network acting like he has lit it up and looked in prime form versus the Giants (zero points put up).

But then I analyze his drives and I see in 7 drives, he has led the Jets to exactly 7 points. That is it. 5 of the other 6 drives resulted in punts and the other one, the half ran out wth no points.

1 TD in 7 drives. That is "great"? And the one TD drive came on a short field and was only a 46 yard drive for a TD.

I mean, I am not saying he has been terrible, but the fact is only 14% of his drives resulted in points so far. Just by way of comparison, 15% of Matt Cassel's drives have resulted in points so far this preseason (2 for 13). And we all know how he has been.

So I just don't get the Favre love. His stats aren't bad, but its not resulting in much good.

J D Sal

I keep hearing how "great" Brett Favre has looked this preseason from the media and Jets fans. Jim Mora was just on NFL Network acting like he has lit it up and looked in prime form versus the Giants (zero points put up).

But then I analyze his drives and I see in 7 drives, he has led the Jets to exactly 7 points. That is it. 5 of the other 6 drives resulted in punts and the other one, the half ran out wth no points.

1 TD in 7 drives. That is "great"? And the one TD drive came on a short field and was only a 46 yard drive for a TD.

I mean, I am not saying he has been terrible, but the fact is only 14% of his drives resulted in points so far. Just by way of comparison, 15% of Matt Cassel's drives have resulted in points so far this preseason (2 for 13). And we all know how he has been.

So I just don't get the Favre love. His stats aren't bad, but its not resulting in much good.

J D Sal

But of course the media whore that Brett Farve is, he will be the greatest thing to happen to the jest since sliced bread....or Mangini......

J D Sal

i think if cassell played like favre and didnt score any points i woiuld happier. in the 3rd game more than one of favre's passes was called back due to illegal motion including a touchdown. as we all say , stats dont tell the whole story as much i hate favre for the crap he he pulled this season.

Favre makes me want to puke with the hype but really ... give the guy a break he was only there a little over a week.

J D Sal

Compared to what the Jets had at QB Favre is a breath of fresh air. We are
spoiled wrt QB. They were/are desperate. A great move by the Jets but the
one big problem they have is BF is 39 in October and if he plays all season and
next, whenever he decides to hang it up, they are back to ground zero looking
for a servicable QB.

This topic has just become reality.

I can't wait! I hope Crable is activated. I also don't believe Brett will look good next week.

Haha hahah ahahahahaa

They both had similar kinds of days, ran the offense effectively, made few mistakes, stepped up and made good, smart plays.

I think the real thing to watch for will be Pats defense vs. Jets defense. They are both new QBs in their respective offenses so they should both be about as easy to knock out of rhythm.

are you ok bro? This Brady injury has you on the deep end of the pool

im going to have to repeat that Q...

this dude is not acting normal....at all...

They both had similar kinds of days, ran the offense effectively, made few mistakes, stepped up and made good, smart plays.

I think the real thing to watch for will be Pats defense vs. Jets defense. They are both new QBs in their respective offenses so they should both be about as easy to knock out of rhythm.

I disagree. Brett Favre and Matt Cassell can not be compared in this regard, one is a top 5 QB right now who can put it anywhere on the field and has as much experience in reading D's as any QB in the NFL. The other is a career backup.

Last edited:
are you ok bro? This Brady injury has you on the deep end of the pool

Probably drunk. Dude seriously needs to chill out.

I disagree. Brett Favre and Matt Cassell can not be compared in this regard, one is a top 5 QB right now who can put it anywhere on the field and has as much experience in reading D's as any QB in the NFL. The other is a career backup.

The career backup has 100% command of the playbook, Favre has 75%. Favre's immense experience is helpful, but he's not in the Green Bay offense with the Green Bay receivers, Bubba Franks excepted. Favre looks like he'll be happy just to get a full week's worth of practice with Coles.

Let's not underestimate what Favre is trying to do in New Jersey here, though that is the common tendency of this board. Hall of Fame status doesn't mean he can just walk off a plane, don a helmet and go out there and win games, especially at the QB position. Barring injury he should improve significantly between now and December. (Especially in comparison to other, non-cold-weather QBs.)

If he has anything close to success early this year it is to be counted a minor miracle, like Junior Seau walking off the plane and into the Pats opening day starting lineup.

The thing about the Jets offense vs the Patriots defense is the Jets won't be able to run the ball like they did against the Dolphins. Favre will be forced to throw, which my or may not be good for anyone.

Favre got knocked out of the game back in 06.

Favre still has a strong arm so he makes the defense stretch the field ... that alone is worth something.

Brett Favre sucks, those chuck it up and hope someone comes down with it throws aren't going to cut it against a decent defense. He will easily have over 25 INT's this year.

Brett Favre sucks, those chuck it up and hope someone comes down with it throws aren't going to cut it against a decent defense. He will easily have over 25 INT's this year.

I sure hope to hell that a bunch of them come next week, because we're going to need them a little more than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots