PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel.......Pro Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
You figure 3 guys from the AFC will make it. Here are the only ones I figure are legit candidates:

Brett Favre
Matt Cassel
Chad Pennington
Ben Roethlisberger
Peyton Manning
Kerry Collins
Jay Cutler
Philip Rivers

I figure Favre and Manning will get in. Favre is the sentimental choice. Manning is Manning. Pennington has been good, but likely won't get chosen. Only 11 TD passes, even after his 3 today. Roethlisberger has been pedestrian with only an 11-11 TD/INT ratio. Collins? You don't get in for being a game manager.

That leaves Cassel, Rivers or Cutler in the final spot. I think Cutler has been too inconsistent and too many costly INTs. A lot of bad, listless losses for Denver like today and against the Patriots.

So its either Rivers or Cassel. Rivers has been good this year. I say he gets it. Cassel gets the alternate spot. Someone gets hurt, he's in.

And he still has time to pass any one of the three as well if he keeps lighting it up.

J D Sal

Cassel is sitting at 10 td',s 7 int. Brady got his first pro bowl going 18 td's, 12 int in 15 games.

If Cassel can keep a better than 2:1 td/int ratio the remaining games, he has a shot, but only because the QB field hasn't been very good this year.

Last edited:
I hope with all my heart he makes it.

as of today, No. But maybe by the end of the season, yes.

Cassel is sitting at 10 td',s 7 int. Brady got his first pro bowl going 18 td's, 12 int in 15 games.

If Cassel can keep a better than 2:1 td/int ratio the remaining games, he has a shot, but only because the QB field hasn't been very good this year.
Cassel's actually sitting at 13 td's to 8 int's.

Cassel's got an outside shot at making it, especially if he keeps up this play and keeps slinging the ball 40+ times in the shotgun. His play hasn't been far off Manning or Favre's this year, but they've got the reputations and recognition that he'll make it over him. Philip Rivers is a lock for the Pro Bowl. I see Rivers, Manning and Favre making it.

Last edited:

actually cassel has 13 td 8 int plus a few rushing tds

You forgot today's stats when he had 3 TDs and 1 INT.

Cassel is now sitting at 13 TDs and 8 INTs. He also got another rushing one today.

J D Sal

Oh jeez, I thought the 10/7 was counting today's stats too. He's at 13/8? That will be odd if say he gets 8 td's, 5 int the rest of the way and ends up at 21/13 and doesn't make the pro bowl, when Brady got his first going 18/12. Plus, Cassel has those rushing td's.

After today's game his QB rating must be over 90 now.

Doubt it. You know Peyton Manning and Brett Favre are getting in.

Kerry Collins doesn't have the numbers, but he's the leader for the league's top team record-wise, and gosh darn wouldn't it be a swell story if he got a Pro Bowl selection? Rivers and Cutler have the benefit of having more gaudy numbers. Cassel would be an intriguing choice if he keeps it up, but I don't think he'll get chosen over the aforementioned QB's.

Cassel won't get in because his surge came too late. Besides, this is a popularity contest. Favre and Manning will get in and probably Rivers. I don't know if Cassel deserves it based on his entire body of work, but does for his last month or so.

I doubt it. Rivers should make it with his 23 TD's so far.

dont matter, its whoever they want to make it...Big Ben shouldnt even be aloud to attend the game, and he'll probably go...peyton isnt playing lightsout and he will Def. go, Favre...well, you dont go to a pro bowl and not take the "hero".

i dont know....a lot of my friends who are fans of other teams have gone from smirking at cassel to saying that hell be w/ their team next yr...

He probably won't get in, but if you look at his total offense, his numbers look pretty darned good.
13 passing TD, 2 rushing TD. 2,615 passing yards, 66% comp, 90.5 QB rating.
199 yards rushing on 53 carries, 3.6 y/c.

5 more games to come, if he continues to play well, he could catch up/go past Rivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down