PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel plays like Drew Bledsoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where in that first thread post did I bash Cassel?

If anything, it is a compliment that I went out on a limb and said he wasn't worse than 01 Bledsoe.

Seriously, some of you can't get over your biases over Bledsoe to be able to read straight.

I wasn't, and I don't think others are, accusing you of bashing Cassel. Some others invaded your thread to do so.

I don't know that I agree with the comparison though. Bledsoe often made huge mistakes because he always wanted to throw the deep ball. Cassel isn't trusting his reads and going through his progression quick enough, yet. Bledsoe was the statue, Cassel can do some damage with his legs. He has to learn to hook slide though as he's taken some Bledsoe\Lewis types hits already.

I'm just happy to watch him make progress and to watch the team play with passion. I have to compliment the crowd as well. That's the loudest they have been in a while and it started right away and continued through the night.

I would say aside from Cassel's emphasis on the short game and Bledsoe's obsession with the home run, right now they are pretty similar, except for the fact that Cassel is growing dramatically every game and also you have to be pleased with his play given his context.

How that somehow got misconstrued as Cassel bashing, just shows how post count does not equate to intelligence, especially when it comes to the arrogance on this board.

Last edited:
To compare Cassell to Bledsoe is insane

I would say aside from Cassel's emphasis on the short game and Bledsoe's obsession with the home run, right now they are pretty similar, except for the fact that Cassel is growing dramatically every game and also you have to be pleased with his play given his context.

How that somehow got misconstrued as Cassel bashing, just shows how post count does not equate to intelligence, especially when it comes to the arrogance on this board.

So exactly which Drew or facet of Drew were you attempting to compare Matt to? I don't see a remote similarity pro or con... And I'm pretty certain Bill doesn't either or he wouldn't have lasted on the roster for 4 seasons.

I grasp there was a role Drew played in rejuvinating a fairly moribound franchise. For me he shares that with Parcells and the young defenders he also drafted as well as the DC he introduced to this team and it's new owner... But that doesn't change who or what he was. A tall guy with a big arm and an equally big ego who resisted and resented coaching consistently throughout his career because he believed his talent trumped it.

Drew Bledsoe Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

So exactly which Drew or facet of Drew were you attempting to compare Matt to? I don't see a remote similarity pro or con... And I'm pretty certain Bill doesn't either or he wouldn't have lasted on the roster for 4 seasons.

I grasp there was a role Drew played in rejuvinating a fairly moribound franchise. For me he shares that with Parcells and the young defenders he also drafted as well as the DC he introduced to this team and it's new owner... But that doesn't change who or what he was. A tall guy with a big arm and an equally big ego who resisted and resented coaching consistently throughout his career because he believed his talent trumped it.

Drew Bledsoe Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

interesting stats.

Bledoes career QB rating 77.1
Cassels in 2008 86.8

Bledsoe career completion % 57.2
Cassels in 2008 66.3

Bledsoe career yards per attempt 6.6
Cassels in 2008 6.6

not saying Cassel is better than Bledsoe......but im just sayin.......

I think Bledsoe suffered from what a lot of young QBs suffer from. Remember he got drafted overall number one? He was asked to lead the team back from hell which meant early on he had to be a gunslinger because he had to if the team was going to win.

Witness the 1994 game where he HAD to set records for completions and attempts for the team to win against Minnesota.

He was showing improvement until the end of Parcells and don't forget, he was still only a fourth year QB at the end of 96. Going into his fifth year, he had a different offensive coordinator every year just about for the rest of his career.

Ask any quarterback and they will tell you how frustrating that can be.

Then don't forget that by 2000/2001, the Patriots were in REBUILDING mode after all the draft miscues that had been made during the Pete Carroll/Bobby Grier years.

And you're right, he didn't adjust well to the Belichick era. That's definitely entirely on him. But I just got the sense he was tired and weary of the pounding the weakening line was letting him take.

Meanwhile, Cassel has had the same offensive system for his entire tenure as a Patriot, has increasingly BETTER personnel and a head coach who likes him. And he's doing a very good job as a result.

Comparing one to the other IS as has been said, an insult to both players.

But that doesn't change who or what he was. A tall guy with a big arm and an equally big ego who resisted and resented coaching consistently throughout his career because he believed his talent trumped it.

Not talking personality, am talking about the way they play on the field, right now in time... though Cassel's pocket presence and taking sacks will likely improve as he plays more.

Cassel plays like Cassel.You have to be kidding me, Bledsoe?Bledsoe would have put up more points with this team even though he would probably throw 2 picks along the side.:D

Most recent game:

A nice 8.1 yards per attempt, 1 td, and 2 int's, one of which wasn't really his fault.
He still took 3 sacks though.

Cassel is growing every week, the hope is by season's end his pocket presence improves such that people here start making claims that Cassel is even better than Bledsoe was in 01, rather than that he plays like Bledsoe.

they are more dissimilar than alike..different styles...and different in that one is retired and one can see a full body of work...and Cassel is at the other end...learning growing..so that is hardly fair.. But to look at one..and see the other...not sure...OH they are both QVs...I got it...

To compare Matt Cassel to Bledsoe is absolutely insane. I am a huge Cassel supporter and I have defended him from day one and I think he is doing excellent but Bledsoe was despite his shortcomings an excellent NFL QB. All this thread really proves is that some people in New England really have no appreciation for what Drew Bledsoe was. We all know the guy wasn't perfect but come on give him his due.

I was looking for the punchline to the thread, figuring the OP was looking to annoy (1) the pro-Bledsoe group and (2) the pro-Cassel group in a single thread. Apparently, this is a serious argument.

First, Bledsoe was not sacked excessively during the seasons he was at his best (an average of 1-2 times per game up to 1999), and he threw a ton of passes his first few years. The knock on him those years is he forced passes figuring he could get by on his arm. I am not going to cut and paste his career sack statistics so you can review them here if you doubt my summary. He started to take damage in 1999 when the team declined and offensive line staffing suffered. He then went to Buffalo (not a great offensive line) but worked on releasing the ball faster and cut those numbers down before he went to Dallas. He was never a mobile QB, and given the number of times he was asked to throw did a pretty fair job at not getting sacked until his later years. If your history of Bledsoe starts with 2001 and ignores the 6 or 7 years and thousands of drop backs prior to that, you may have some argument. Otherwise, watch some game tapes of his first 6 years with a decent line and update your knowledge of team history and Bledsoe.

Second, Cassel can move, unlike Bledsoe, and is effectively a rookie. He is much more mobile than Bledsoe was at all points of his career. As one of the announcers pointed out during the Broncos game, Brady's otherworldly ability to sense pressure and unload the ball would have cut the sack number by 1/2. That would still be a high number for Brady, but no QB avoids a sack when a nose tackle blows through the center and guard in less than a second. That doesn't even allow for set time. In the event you have a short memory, recall that Brady was sacked 5 times in the Super Bowl and dropped a ton of times without being sacked. Is the line play this year significantly improved, or is Cassel's play the sole reason he is getting sacked all of those time? He does hold on to the ball at times, but at least half his sacks should be credited to the line play.

There is no comparison. Neither Bledsoe nor Cassel are half as bad as you try to paint them to be. Bledsoe was much better than your limited memory seems to indicate, and Cassel has been progressing in his first year as a starter and learning the starter role as pretty much any first year starter with knowledge of a system might. He is showing progress, and I suspect many of his initial critics either have to concede that point or accept any position they now have is sour grapes and a refusal to eat crow for predicting his failure.

Last edited:
To compare Matt Cassel to Bledsoe is absolutely insane. I am a huge Cassel supporter and I have defended him from day one and I think he is doing excellent but Bledsoe was despite his shortcomings an excellent NFL QB. All this thread really proves is that some people in New England really have no appreciation for what Drew Bledsoe was. We all know the guy wasn't perfect but come on give him his due.

Actually I have major respect for Bledsoe, I was a huge Bledsoe defender even when Brady went in that entire year.

Why is comparing Cassel to Bledsoe some sort of insult for some posters here?

The way Cassel plays *right now* (and I know he is getting better every week), both have cannon arms, can make accurate throws if given time, but both don't respond well to pressure and take a ton of sacks. Obviously Cassel's pocket presence is improving and he is also better at short passes and higher % of passes.

If your history of Bledsoe starts with 2001 and ignores the 6 or 7 years and thousands of drop backs prior to that, you may have some argument.

Read my first post and subsequent posts in this thread, that is exactly what I am saying, Cassel *right now* is as good as 01 Bledsoe.

I understand that is a LOADED statement depending on what people think about Bledsoe and Cassel.

Read my first post and subsequent posts in this thread, that is exactly what I am saying, Cassel *right now* is as good as 01 Bledsoe.

I understand that is a LOADED statement depending on what people think about Bledsoe and Cassel.

Your final line of the opening posts states "Cassel is not worse than Drew Bledsoe was in early 2001 (his last year with the Pats)." The portion of your post preceding that statement appears to be a general comparison of the two QBs. If you are now clarifying the comparison and saying those observations are limited to Bledsoe in 2001, fine. My response indicated your generalizations would not apply to Bledsoe for much of his career.

Compared to Bledsoe 2001, Cassel is demonstrating a better ability to read secondary schemes, far greater mobility, and less improvisation that might result in turnovers based on excessive reliance on deteriorating physical skills. In his 9th season, Bledsoe had taken a pretty good beating and had lost a step physically. He also did not buy into Belichick's offense to the degree Cassel obviously does given his extensive history with the team and had developed a few bad habits (holding the ball and making ill-advised passes). Given that version of Bledsoe and the present version of Cassel, I would take Cassel to run this offense in a heartbeat. Given the option of Bledsoe circa 1993-1998, it would be Bledsoe in a heartbeat.

Which all comes down to a conclusion that Matt Cassel isn't that bad, which was one of my main points in the first place.

The thread was made during all the hysteria about how bad he was.

um, actually you're incorrect on that.

against Buffalo in 1994, 41-17.
1996 against baltimore 46-38.
1996 against miami 42-23

there's a few if you'd like me to list more :D

OUCH..........:eek: :)

I was looking for the punchline to the thread, figuring the OP was looking to annoy (1) the pro-Bledsoe group and (2) the pro-Cassel group in a single thread. Apparently, this is a serious argument.

First, Bledsoe was not sacked excessively during the seasons he was at his best (an average of 1-2 times per game up to 1999), and he threw a ton of passes his first few years. The knock on him those years is he forced passes figuring he could get by on his arm. I am not going to cut and paste his career sack statistics so you can review them here if you doubt my summary. He started to take damage in 1999 when the team declined and offensive line staffing suffered. He then went to Buffalo (not a great offensive line) but worked on releasing the ball faster and cut those numbers down before he went to Dallas. He was never a mobile QB, and given the number of times he was asked to throw did a pretty fair job at not getting sacked until his later years. If your history of Bledsoe starts with 2001 and ignores the 6 or 7 years and thousands of drop backs prior to that, you may have some argument. Otherwise, watch some game tapes of his first 6 years with a decent line and update your knowledge of team history and Bledsoe.

Second, Cassel can move, unlike Bledsoe, and is effectively a rookie. He is much more mobile than Bledsoe was at all points of his career. As one of the announcers pointed out during the Broncos game, Brady's otherworldly ability to sense pressure and unload the ball would have cut the sack number by 1/2. That would still be a high number for Brady, but no QB avoids a sack when a nose tackle blows through the center and guard in less than a second. That doesn't even allow for set time. In the event you have a short memory, recall that Brady was sacked 5 times in the Super Bowl and dropped a ton of times without being sacked. Is the line play this year significantly improved, or is Cassel's play the sole reason he is getting sacked all of those time? He does hold on to the ball at times, but at least half his sacks should be credited to the line play.

There is no comparison. Neither Bledsoe nor Cassel are half as bad as you try to paint them to be. Bledsoe was much better than your limited memory seems to indicate, and Cassel has been progressing in his first year as a starter and learning the starter role as pretty much any first year starter with knowledge of a system might. He is showing progress, and I suspect many of his initial critics either have to concede that point or accept any position they now have is sour grapes and a refusal to eat crow for predicting his failure.

Great freakin post.....Cassel has done ok so far against some questionable defenses.....not a bad game manager......but to put him ALREADY in the company of Drew Bledsoe.....IS Ignorant and insulting.......Maybe Matt will continue on somewhere as a starting QB after this year......maybe he will go back to being a career backup....he has a long way to go before you can even BEGIN to compare him to Drew......The only comparison thus far....is locking on one receiver at a time.......that is it......

Even as managing the game goes, Bledsoe wasn't as bad as people seems to remember. He had only 13 picks during Belichick 1st year, in 550+ attemps (while Cassel has 7 in 250+ attemps) but with a much inferior supporting cast. Bledsoe had Rutledge and Bjornson at tight end, Shockmain Davis, Chris Calloway & Tony Simmons at wideout and I don't remember who was the right tackle (Bruce Armstrong was the left tackle after having been cut in the offseason).

You can't really compare the 2000 Bledsoe (the 2001 Bledsoe played 2 games, not much for comparison) to the 2008 Cassel, because both are under completely different situation. Having Randy Moss must help a great deal : look at the careers of Culpepper, Cunningham and George with Moss and then without.

That being said, I wasn't much of a Cassel supporter early on, but now I can see glimpses of the unstoppable offense from last year. I would like them to allow Cassel to throw on more intermediate and long routes, because 19 plays drives only happen once every 50 years (literally), but Cassel is much more decisive with the football than he was early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back