PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel plays like Drew Bledsoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, Mo....feeling harsh tonight eh?

I agree with Deus and his statement....best point yet.

I do call Cassel "Patterfeet" though...that ball patting, foot hopping jig drives me nuts for some reason.

Damn, Mo....feeling harsh tonight eh?
I agree with Deus and his statement....best point yet.

No, Mo always gets like this when someone spells 'Bledsoe' anywhere on this board. :D It's ok though, Mo is a good poster, and knows what he's talking about on MOST subjects. He'll simply never give Drew any credit. ;)

Hey, it's good to see some people have forgotten just how much Bledsoe meant to the franchise.

If Bledsoe doesn't come aboard and inject some life into the fanbase in the early 90s, it's very likely the Patriots would have been in St. Louis.

Of course he had his faults. Would you have rather had Rick Mirer?

As for Cassel... who would you rather have right now? The 'best' backups right now are Kerry Collins and Brad Johnson.

Or go with an even more unproven (NFL level) QB in O'Connell?

I cant believe some of the horse sh*t I read here sometimes

Remember that QB the other week against the Colts? (name escapes me) .. soon as any pressure was on he fumbled, forced throws into coverage and lost them the game. If Cassel doesnt see a pass he doesnt make one. No mistakes, no turnovers.

I bet BB loves the kid and he's getting better game by game

Comparing Cassel, with SIX games under his belt, to Dedslow is ludicrous.

Cassel can at least move, get out of the pocket and escape and make throws.

Statuesoe NEVER could and had PROVEN problems moving around in the pocket his whole career.

Cassel needs improvement in all areas of his game but as the 2nd QB, with no actual game experience before this season, he IS showing improvement.

Deer In The Headlights was a HIGHLY TOUTED draft pick and played for YEARS as a starter.

Stupid comparison.

I liked Dreww as a player(early) and as a person. That being said ther were many times i would turn to somebody watching the game with me and say "Bledsoes got a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain". I don't know what happened to him after the first few years,but he was never the same QB. Maybe the advent of newer defensive schemes(zone blitz )comes to mind exposed a weakness,he couldn't make quick decisions. It was about the time the zone blitz appeared tha Bledsoe stated having trouble imo.

Last edited:
His WHOLE career? Or just when the offensive line started tailing off and he didn't have a reliable safety valve?

Joker, did you have bad dreams about Drew when you were a kid or something?

No...I got disgusted when HE went to the owners and talked them into signing the twin abominations ,Rucci and Lane, to GUARANTEED multimillion dollar contracts and proceeded to stink the joint up from that point on to the tune of 6.5 sacks a game on average.

I wish it was a bad dream

No...I got disgusted when HE went to the owners and talked them into signing the twin abominations ,Rucci and Lane, to GUARANTEED multimillion dollar contracts and proceeded to stink the joint up from that point on to the tune of 6.5 sacks a game on average.

it couldve been worse :rolleyes:

yes, it could have...that's why every day I say a prayer of thanks to that Patriot icon, Mo Lewis

Not questioning your veracity here but I'd be curious to see the source behind this one. I don't remember hearing anything about it.

But even if it IS true he went to the ownership and asked them to resign Rucci and Lane...his left and right guard at the time, what reason was there to suspect both would fall off so quickly?

After moving to left guard, I kinda remember Lane being okay and Rucci was decent even given his propensity for some occasional lapses.

That's just what I remember, I was a teenager at the time and didn't really pay CLOSE attention.

At that time ,I had a press pass and ran a couple of sites on the net, way back when Ian first started THIS site up. What I posted about Bledsoe is absolutely true and documented by writers from the Globe, Projo and Herald...you can search it out for $2.50 in any of their archives.One reason ownership did this was a reaction to B.P. making a secret deal on the plane back from the Super Bowl loss and seemed to be a way of showing continued stability in the face of B.P.'s defection. It turned out to be a bad mistake.

Just for the record, a Drew Bledsoe offense never scored 41 point in a game.

You're right.

Except for being completely wrong.

Do you have any idea how inconceivably ignorant you sound right now?

Unless you're being incredibly precise (but I still think the Bledsoe era Patriots scored 41 points at some point)...

--------------

Joker - That is fascinating stuff. How about other 'holdovers' like Coates and Armstrong... what was the background on their eventual departures (I seem to recall Bruce almost being 'forced' into retiring...)?

Last edited:

um, actually you're incorrect on that.

against Buffalo in 1994, 41-17.
1996 against baltimore 46-38.
1996 against miami 42-23

there's a few if you'd like me to list more :D

Coates ended up beating his wife/girlfriend more than making plays and eventually wound up with the Ravens where he ended his career. At one point he was Bledsoe's main target and more often than not his ONLY target. Took a lot of punishment which definitely slowed him down,but he was All Pro a number of times

Armstrong was a mainstay and All Pro for most of his 14 year Patriot career.

1996 against miami 42-23

just ignore me 'god in the grey hoodie'. I just figured out what you're saying. good joke. I truly am getting dumber the longer I go without sleep.

Coates ended up beating his wife/girlfriend more than making plays and eventually wound up with the Ravens where he ended his career. At one point he was Bledsoe's main target and more often than not his ONLY target. Took a lot of punishment which definitely slowed him down,but he was All Pro a number of times

Armstrong was a mainstay and All Pro for most of his 14 year Patriot career.

Well, I know about their careers and what they did as Patriots. I was just looking for things like the 'beating wife/girlfriend' part that I might not have noticed at the time.

1996 against miami 42-23

You are ABSOLUTELY WRONG on both of the '96 games.

Both of them involved a defensive or special teams TD. And I said offense.

You might be right about '94 I just realized the game logs at pro-football-reference.com only go back to '95, and I can't find the scoring break down elsewhere for the '94 game so you may or may not be right about that game.

You are ABSOLUTELY WRONG on both of the '96 games.

Both of them involved a defensive or special teams TD. And I said offense.

You might be right about '94 I just realized the game logs at pro-football-reference.com only go back to '95, and I can't find the scoring break down elsewhere for the '94 game so you may or may not be right about that game.

and here i am thinking you were making a joke, like the whole "cassel cant score more than 21". well, then.

you can look here if you want, but i really don't feel like researching who specifically scored in those games.

Drew Bledsoe: Game Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back