PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel: One Year Wonder? or The Next Great Quarterback?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Matt Cassel - The one year wonder or the next great NFL QB?

• He is a one year wonder

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • He is the next great Quarterback

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This is something I have seen debated all over the internet and I think all GMs from the other teams looking for a starting QB are thinking the same thing before they decide to or if they should give NE an offer for Matt

Is Matt a product of the Pats system and being behind one of the greatest QBs and HCs and the talent at WR he had in 2008 for the reason behind his remarkable 2008 season and will struggle elsewhere?

OR

Is Matt just the hidden secret of the NFL - A man that is a future superstar and just waiting in the wings to become the next great Quarterback no matter who is his next coach and teammates?

So to all members of Patsfans.com ... IS MATT CASSEL THE NEXT GREAT QUARTERBACK? or IS HE A ONE YEAR WONDER?

Last edited:
Re: Matt Cassel : One Year Wonder? or The Next Great Quarterback?

i think you should add a choice saying hes somewhere in between the two, OR, that is he closer to a franchise QB or closer to a one year wonder

He reminds me of Hasselback. Good franchise Quarterback, but not an all time great.

i think you should add a choice saying hes somewhere in between the two, OR, that is he closer to a franchise QB or closer to a one year wonder

I didn't do that because I wanted a stronger opinion from Pats fans and what they thought - Either you think he will not produce elsewhere or you think he will flourish in another system - There is no reason for anything in between

Somewhere in between.

But I do know he'll get somewhere around a 1500% raise this year.

I'm hoping for 3%:mad:

Years Backing up Tom F'n Brady, Coached by Bill Belichick and his obvious improvement over the season - I would think that he closer to being the Next Greatest as opposed to a One Year Wonder.

However, he's in the middle somewhere.

Last edited:

I understand the manic depressive nature of the board, but there should be one or two more choices.:D

Saw this on article rotoworld (link bellow), as for great QB and record setter I don't think so but with the right guys around him hes a winner. I could see him having the most success with a team like the Vikings personally, however I just read the Bucs are going to take a good look at him too.

Scouts Buzz: Cassel at crossroads of 1-year wonder or next great QB

Neither choice works for me.

I understand the manic depressive nature of the board, but there should be one or two more choices.:D

If I had added 'somewhere in between' it would have been the far and away the logical choice :) so to make it a tougher choice I choose just 2 options and if you lean towards one then that should have been the answer you pick

He's a solid starting quarterback in the league. I don't believe he is a one year wonder, nor do I believe he is "great". More poll choices would be clutch.

The correct answer here is somewhere in the middle. Cassel can be a sound starter in the league for many years, but I don't believe he is talented enough to ever be "great" (at least not how I define it). But you don't have to be great in the NFL to win lots of games and even a championship (see; Eli Manning).

I didn't do that because I wanted a stronger opinion from Pats fans and what they thought - Either you think he will not produce elsewhere or you think he will flourish in another system - There is no reason for anything in between

Of course there's a reason for something in between: the huge probability that something in between is correct! The current poll asks us to commit to one of two extreme and unlikely positions, and personally I'll pass.

Brettlax's Hasselbeck comparison seems like a realistic compromise. Now consider that the Seahawks gave up the equivalent of a high 2nd-round pick for the guy when he had never started a single game, based solely on Holmgren's inside info, with no competitors for his services....

I say he is a good QB. Every QB or player in general is product of the system their in. I don't buy the "Cassel played well because he had Moss and Welker". In fact, no QB is going to be good unless they have WR's that can get open and an O-line that can block. However, even if a team has great WR's and an O-line, a QB still has to make good decisions/reading a defense when the ball is in his hands. Cassel has good arm strength, has great scrambling ability and was getting better at reading defenses.

If I had added 'somewhere in between' it would have been the far and away the logical choice :) so to make it a tougher choice I choose just 2 options and if you lean towards one then that should have been the answer you pick

How about instead add....

Solid career starter.

Career backup

Marginal starter backup.

I don't mean to be a jerk, it's good that people post interesting polls. Most QBs would fall somewhere in the middle. I was thinking that when Ian posted the Buffalo Pats vids. Joe Ferguson was a pretty good QB for a few years, but certainly not all time great. However, most teams would do well to have a QB like that in any given season.

i think that most people dont think hes close to either of these.

i dont think for one second he is a one year wonder

BUT, at the same time, I dont think he is the next great qb in the nfl

Of course there's a reason for something in between: the huge probability that something in between is correct! The current poll asks us to commit to one of two extreme and unlikely positions, and personally I'll pass.

Brettlax's Hasselbeck comparison seems like a realistic compromise. Now consider that the Seahawks gave up the equivalent of a high 2nd-round pick for the guy when he had never started a single game, based solely on Holmgren's inside info, with no competitors for his services....

I'd agree with the pass. I don't think he's a one-year wonder, so if the question is will he be able to sustain and probably improve on his performance of this year then I would answer yes. He showed maturity, judgment, work habits, accuracy and an improvement curve which argue against that. On the other hand, if the question is whether he will end up in the "elite" franchise QB category, then I'm not so sure. I think he will be better than average and could see him having a high end somewhere around where I project Jay Cutler to be. I think it's more likely that he end up being in the Hasselbeck category, but I think he has a shot at being at least as good as Eli Manning, Philip Rivers - which is still better than about 75% of the starting QBs in the league. I don't believe he will ever be in the truly elite class, but very few are. But teams have certainly won SBs with less at QB.

QBs that I'd bet are or will be better than Cassel will every be: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Ben Rothlisberger, Jay Cutler, Carson Palmer, and probably Matt Ryan.

QBs that I would bet will probably be in the long-term Cassel ballpark: Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, maybe Joe Flacco. In the long run I think he will be better than Tony Romo - more disciplined, better accuracy - but Romo is probably in the ballpark category for now.

QBs that I would take Cassel over in the long run: Matt Leinhart (better work habits and physical tools), Chad Pennington (better arm), David Garrard, Vince Young (better pro game), Trent Edwards, Jake Delhomme, Aaron Rogers, Matt Schaub, Jake Delhomme, Derek Anderson (more disciplined, better accuracy), Chris Simms. I wouldn't even compare him to the current QBs in Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco Chicago or Kansas City.

I wouldn't compare him to the older QBs that are at or towards the end of their careers (Favre, Warner, McNabb, Bulger Kery Collins, etc.). I'd take him over any of them for the long run right now.

I'd settle for that. That would leave around 20 teams who would probably be better off for the long term with Cassel at QB.

Mods - until Cassel is traded, please ensure that the poll results read 100% "Next Great Quarterback"

Mods - until Cassel is traded, please ensure that the poll results read 100% "Next Great Quarterback"

Cassel has his maximum trade value right now. No thoughts can be

entertained not to trade him. If he had a sub par season in 2009,

his trade value would disappear.

I'm with ScottieC on this,the thing that stands out the most about Cassel is the improvement in his game from early in the season to late.Its obvious,even to a dummy like me.So,he can be coached ,and one would think,he will continue to improve.He has the arm,thats good,but its the ability to read defences quickly,find the open man,or sometimes eat the ball when there are no better options.Thats what the NE coaches saw in 2001,when a skinny rookie named Brady crept up the QB list to be the backup over guys with NFL experience(then,of course, Drew as well)
.I think Matt C will be great QB in this league,based on that.(And no,I didnt think this after watching him in pre-season,I was thinking more of a bust at that time.Glad to be wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back