PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel named starting QB for Vikings

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
. @FieldYates: The Vikings announced that Matt Cassel will start in place of Christian Ponder at quarterback against the Steelers this Sunday.

Three Patriots QBs starting this weekend. :D

The news was broken by Tommy "Scoops" Brady. Apparently, Brady is gearing up to take a media job after he is done with the Pats.

That question led Brady to give the following answer, "We have a great relationship and a very close relationship," Brady said of Hoyer. "The backup quarterback, there's only been two of us, Brian and I at one time and now myself and Ryan Mallett. We have a great rapport. I'm friends with all those guys. Matt Cassel, I talk to -- he may be starting this weekend."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...matt-cassel-might-start-for-vikings-in-week-4

I'll be rooting for Matt. He's not as terrible as people think. He went through 5 offensive coordinators in 4 seasons (Chan Gailey was fired in the pre-season of year 1, with head coach Todd Haley taking over).

Don't forget in his second season with the Chiefs, after they hired Charlie Weiss as OC, he threw 27 TDs vs. 5 INTs in 14 starts, leading the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and the play-offs.

After that, he had Bill Muir and Brian Daboll for a year each. Haley was fired and Romeo Crennel was brought in. There was a tremendous amount of turnover amongst coaches and very little stability.

He certainly can't do much worse than Ponder's 2 TD, 5 INT, 2 lost fumbles in 3 games.

Good for Cassel. I've always liked him and think he's better than he showed the last two years. Hope he puts a W up like Hoyer did last week.

Maybe if the two of them succeed the rest of the year it increases Mallett's trade value somehow?

I'll be rooting for Matt. He's not as terrible as people think. He went through 5 offensive coordinators in 4 seasons (Chan Gailey was fired in the pre-season of year 1, with head coach Todd Haley taking over).

Don't forget in his second season with the Chiefs, after they hired Charlie Weiss as OC, he threw 27 TDs vs. 5 INTs in 14 starts, leading the Chiefs to a 10-6 record and the play-offs.

After that, he had Bill Muir and Brian Daboll for a year each. Haley was fired and Romeo Crennel was brought in. There was a tremendous amount of turnover amongst coaches and very little stability.

He certainly can't do much worse than Ponder's 2 TD, 5 INT, 2 lost fumbles in 3 games.

Couldn't agree more that was a tough set of circumstances he went through in KC the question now is did it ruin his confidence. Also agree he can't do worse.

So BB molded 3 starting QBs in this league and a fourth in the wings. Hopefully Brady goes forever but knowing he can't hopefully BB stays to mold number 5.

Best wishes for Matt. I was a supporter here the summer of 2008 where yes he did look bad in pre-season, but as other supporters here explained BB often puts QBs in purposely designed bad situations to see how they react. Do they run around like madmen abandoning the plan like Kevin O'Connell or do they run the play and cope with the situations they're given? I hope he does well.

The guys on SIRIUS NFL Radio yesterday were laughing good naturally about how Brady was (inadvertently?) breaking a story about a player's health and status with his Cassel comments. Ironic from a team (Patriots) and player known for being shall we say circumspect.

I'll always root for Cassel after 2008. When Brady went down, many assumed the season was lost and we were doomed. We didn't make the playoffs, but at 11-5 I have a hard time calling that a bad season, especially looking now at what happened to the Colts the season they lost Manning.

Good luck Matt!

We'll get to see this Sunday if that disaster in Kansas City crippled Cassel's confidence or not. I hope not. I'll be rooting for him. But he didn't exactly look like a quarterback that was exuding confidence over the last couple of seasons.

I'll always have time for Matt Cassell; when he was QB for the Pats in 2008 I had him in my fantasy team and due to his play I won the league that year (only time I've ever played.) :rocker:

Good luck to him.

I'll always have time for Matt Cassell; when he was QB for the Pats in 2008 I had him in my fantasy team and due to his play I won the league that year (only time I've ever played.) :rocker:

Good luck to him.

You have played fantasy football once...your quarterback was Matt cassel...and you won????

Cassel was pretty good before the Chiefs coaching carousel ruined him. I think people forget that he was a Pro Bowler in KC.

2013 shall be dubbed "REVENGE of the X-Patriot Backup QBs."

As always rooting for the good guys unless they are playing us.

So BB molded 3 starting QBs in this league and a fourth in the wings. Hopefully Brady goes forever but knowing he can't hopefully BB stays to mold number 5.

There will be 3 starting this weekend, but two feel more like "substitute teachers" at this point. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd like to see them both do well.

You have played fantasy football once...your quarterback was Matt cassel...and you won????

He did win 11 games that year and actually put up some monster numbers in a few games (including vs. NYJ and at Miami).

That game in Miami was a GREAT performance for any quarterback, not just him.

He did win 11 games that year and actually put up some monster numbers in a few games (including vs. NYJ and at Miami).

That game in Miami was a GREAT performance for any quarterback, not just him.

If, God forbid, Brady's injury had been career-ending, I would have had no qualms with the Pats keeping Cassel. By season's end he was playing as well as any QB in the league.

If, God forbid, Brady's injury had been career-ending, I would have had no qualms with the Pats keeping Cassel. By season's end he was playing as well as any QB in the league.

I would have preferred that the team try to secure another quarterback via FA or the draft. :)

I know, I know but it's a true story!:D

Cassel was pretty good before the Chiefs coaching carousel ruined him. I think people forget that he was a Pro Bowler in KC.

Brandon Merriweather was a Pro-Bowler as well.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back