PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got a high second for Cassel that turned into Patrick Chung. How in the hell can you find a way to complain about that?

Like bill couldn't have gotten chung anyway :cool:

I still will never get why BILL traded Matt for so little..
Cassel was our kevin kolb and if the pats shopped him properly, they could have easily gotten a 1st rounder and a great player.

Because of the franchise tag, Cassell had an entitlement to be paid millions more than he otherwise was worth. That lowered his value.

Because of the franchise tag, Cassell had an entitlement to be paid millions more than he otherwise was worth. That lowered his value.
It also forced NE to deal him sooner than later IIRC because the Pats needed the cap space.

Cassel is OK, but I believe he is going to have a very tough season. The KC schedule is just brutal: Indy, GB, Pitt, NE, NYJ.

the pats were right flush up against the cap and managed to unload him like one day before fa, using that money to sign 3 or 4 guys in the first week that otherwise might've been gone --- that's a big reason that vrabel was thrown in, that has everybody so mystified.
I think he was due something like 4m and probably would've been cut as a cap casualty and stiffed his money if they hadn't found a welcome home for him with cap space.

turns out his buddy pioli happened to be sittin' on a mountain of disposible cash in kc that made that trade work.
I'd like to see the list of teams that are rushing to give up a first and a 'great player' to rent a back up qb for one year at 14m loooooooooooooooolz.

it always seems like the people who complain loudest in life know the least about wtf they're talking about.

anyway, sry to derail your funny joke thread -- it made me lol also, but not quite as hard.

the pats were right flush up against the cap and managed to unload him like one day before fa, using that money to sign 3 or 4 guys in the first week that otherwise might've been gone --- that's a big reason that vrabel was thrown in, that has everybody so mystified.
I think he was due something like 4m and probably would've been cut as a cap casualty and stiffed his money if they hadn't found a welcome home for him with cap space.

turns out his buddy pioli happened to be sittin' on a mountain of disposible cash in kc that made that trade work.
I'd like to see the list of teams that are rushing to give up a first and a 'great player' to rent a back up qb for one year at 14m loooooooooooooooolz.

it always seems like the people who complain loudest in life know the least about wtf they're talking about.

anyway, sry to derail your funny joke thread -- it made me lol also, but not quite as hard.

You do know what a franchise tag is? If the pats had waited the lions would have traded 1 OF THEIR FIRST ROUNDERS for him before the draft.

It also forced NE to deal him sooner than later IIRC because the Pats needed the cap space.

Cassel is OK, but I believe he is going to have a very tough season. The KC schedule is just brutal: Indy, GB, Pitt, NE, NYJ.
Have you been following the acquisitions Kansas City has been making this off-season? It's conceivable that they could be better than 2010 as they continue to rebuild that roster.

You do know what a franchise tag is? If the pats had waited the lions would have traded 1 OF THEIR FIRST ROUNDERS for him before the draft.

well, first of all, that's nonsense that you're making up.

secondly, as noted in my rather extensive reply that you didn't read -- they couldn't wait.

edit: and a franchise tag is what was paying him the 14m, since you're asking.

Last edited:
well, first of all, that's nonsense that you're making up.

secondly, as noted in my rather extensive reply that you didn't read -- they couldn't wait.

THEY DIDN'T WANT TO WAIT!!

Its clear BILL had a gentlemen agreement to trade cassel to the chiefs, but my point is BILL got some what shafted for the value.

They lions would have got him if they waited even a week.

THEY DIDN'T WANT TO WAIT!!

Its clear BILL had a gentlemen agreement to trade cassel to the chiefs, but my point is BILL got some what shafted for the value.

They lions would have got him if they waited even a week.

That's the thing that everyone's forgetting: the Patriots had almost no leverage at all. The only reason they were able to get anything more than a 2010 third for him was the franchise tag, and that franchise tag ate up most, though not quite all, of their cap room.

There were two big dangers to waiting:

(1) Teams might not up their offers, simply because they'd know the Patriots were desperate.

(2) They might have lost some of the FAs they wanted because they waited, much as happened with Asomugha and the JEST.

[Now, that said, I don't think any of their FA acquisitions actually worked out for them, so, in the final analysis, (2) works out as a wash.]

And keep in mind that the only actual offer anyone heard for Cassel involving a first-rounder had Denver giving up the first for Cassel because another team wanted Cutler.

That's the thing that everyone's forgetting: the Patriots had almost no leverage at all. The only reason they were able to get anything more than a 2010 third for him was the franchise tag, and that franchise tag ate up most, though not quite all, of their cap room.

There were two big dangers to waiting:

(1) Teams might not up their offers, simply because they'd know the Patriots were desperate.

(2) They might have lost some of the FAs they wanted because they waited, much as happened with Asomugha and the JEST.

[Now, that said, I don't think any of their FA acquisitions actually worked out for them, so, in the final analysis, (2) works out as a wash.]

And keep in mind that the only actual offer anyone heard for Cassel involving a first-rounder had Denver giving up the first for Cassel because another team wanted Cutler.

C'mon, you don't think McDaniels wanted Cassel? Aside from TFB there was no other QB who had the degree of familiarity with the offensive scheme McDaniels ran and would give him the best chance of success.

The Bears gave him two firsts for Cutler, we couldn't have gotten one of those?

Last edited:
pyramid9.gif

ps

the bears did not give anyone 2 firsts for cassel.

Last edited:
your point being the pats were supposed to pass up an offer on the table cuz their crystal ball told them denver would give them a marginally better deal if they waited a month into fa with no cash?

good point.

thank christ you don't run this team.

why does this thread exist???

It's 2011

you have to be borderline full blown nutso strait jacket material to be complaining about THIS....

this is what Matt Cassel equates to as a topic...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Last edited:
well, I think it was supposed to be a funny joke thread 'til it got derailed by another funny joke.

well then...the yolk's on me...

FatFacePalm.gif

BB stated that NO team offered a first round pick, yet somehow YOU are more informed. :rolleyes: Please state your background so we can understand better how you know more about this than BB. Besides the Pats couldn't WAIT for the draft. They had to do something BEFORE FA started so they wouldn't have cut people to stay under the cap and participate in FA

BTW- we traded Cassell for the 34th pick in the draft. I can't understand why people can't grasp that. Its as if he was a first round pick at 32 it would somehow make it all right

Given the time constraints, Cassell's ontract, and the Pats cap situation, the Pats got decent value for him. Comparing this deal with Cutler's deal is soooooo off point. Its apples and oranges. The Kolb deal is more on point. But remember the Eagles are likely to get a pick in the mid 40's if not higher, and Cromartie, while a quality player was likely to be a cap casualty if he hadn't been traded

BB stated that NO team offered a first round pick, yet somehow YOU are more informed. :rolleyes: Please state your background so we can understand better how you know more about this than BB. Besides the Pats couldn't WAIT for the draft. They had to do something BEFORE FA started so they wouldn't have cut people to stay under the cap and participate in FA

BTW- we traded Cassell for the 34th pick in the draft. I can't understand why people can't grasp that. Its as if he was a first round pick at 32 it would somehow make it all right

Given the time constraints, Cassell's ontract, and the Pats cap situation, the Pats got decent value for him. Comparing this deal with Cutler's deal is soooooo off point. Its apples and oranges. The Kolb deal is more on point. But remember the Eagles are likely to get a pick in the mid 40's if not higher, and Cromartie, while a quality player was likely to be a cap casualty if he hadn't been traded

WTF THEY DID TURN DOWN THE 12TH PICK!!!

Report: Patriots turned down 12th overall pick for Cassel

Bill tried to keep it quiet but mort found out about the propose 3 way trade http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/4534/why-would-pats-turn-down-12th-pick-for-cassel

Last edited:
WTF THEY DID TURN DOWN THE 12TH PICK!!!

Report: Patriots turned down 12th overall pick for Cassel

Bill tried to keep it quiet but mort found out about the propose 3 way trade Why would Pats turn down 12th pick for Cassel? - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

So, because it was reported on the internet by the same organization that told us that Nnamdi was definitely going to the Jets, then it must be so. Please get in touch with me. I need to tell you about a bridge for saie :rolleyes:

BTW - when you don't capitalize every word, your grammar vastly improves ;)

So, because it was reported on the internet by the same organization that told us that Nnamdi was definitely going to the Jets, then it must be so. Please get in touch with me. I need to tell you about a bridge for saie :rolleyes:

BTW - when you don't capitalize every word, your grammar vastly improves ;)

That was then. When espn was actually reliable and didn't feel pressure by internet blogs to break a story before them.

Thanks for the tip :cool:

LOL its not like bill would have kept the pick anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back