PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel has far exceeded expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually. . . . with the fact that he'd be an RFA the year after, would he have any incentive to sign the franchise tender?

Not yet close to "fact"... an uncapped 2010 isn't a done deal by any means. And I have enormous difficulty seeing any circumstance under which he'd turn down 14M for one year.

Actually. . . . with the fact that he'd be an RFA the year after, would he have any incentive to sign the franchise tender?

Actually, I don't believe that is the case. You are referring to the potential that 2010 could be an uncapped year. I believe that the rules are such that if a player has already been a UFA that he can not be considered an RFA again.

The Patriots are not going to lay out 14.6 -14.8 million on franchising Cassel in the hopes they could get someone like Minnesota, Chicago, or Detroit to pony up a even a 1st round draft pick.

Cassel will either re-sign with the Pats or move on. The Pats, at best, will have the potential for a compensatory pick.

Cassel is O.K. People forget he has the best coaches surrounding him and a very good offense. He has improved a lot. However, he isn't exceeding my expectation because he isn't a game changer. He is a game manager which i expected he or O'Connel could become based on the coaching and offense. Why would we franchise Cassel? He on another team would not improve them. He hasn't really wowed me yet.

Disclaimer: He is NOT Brady.

But.......at this point in 2001, the Pats were 5-4 and Brady was "not a game changer" either. Give this guy some more games under his belt. That being said, I look forward to a healthy Brady next year and some good value compensatory draft pick from Cassel's future payday.

Last edited:
Cassel made one bad play yesterday (trying to throw instead of taking his one and only sack). Other than that he was perfect. He is making the "big" plays on 3rd down. He is clearly getting better each week.

This week will be very interesting as it is the first time he gets a second look at a team. Let's see what he does with that. Cassel has even had quite a few TD passes dropped by his recievers. The only thing missing in the offense right now is red zone execution, which will come. The kid has earned his stripes (and some serious cash next year).

again im happy with Cassel, but Wes Welker has been the security blanket.. He has improved with the rush, as he is learning to run, which he did in 05 when we were intrigued by him

However I just want to enjoy what this season has to offer. I dont want to see what we can get for him, could we resign him, how many number 1 or 2 draft choices can we get if we franchise him.. Its way way too soon for that.. 7 games left, 3 HUGE games coming up.. Im happy with him, he has done a good job in place of a legend..I hope he can help us win a division.. But as the inj mount its going to be tough.. As long as Welker stays healthy, I think Cassel will continue to succeed..

Matt's obviously exceeded some people's expectations-some here were calling for his head by game 2-so there's nowhere to go from there except up.

Matt's done a great job improving each week and I expect he'll start to nail those EZ throws as time, reps, and experience allow.

Credit to the team and coaching as well; part of the credit for his improvement goes to coaching for nurturing him along at a well-planned pace, and some credit goes to the offense itself for adapting so well to it's new QB.

Here's how he's exceeded my expectations: yesterday it occurred to me that losing him to a season-ending injury might be the straw to break our camel's back.

Actually, I don't believe that is the case. You are referring to the potential that 2010 could be an uncapped year. I believe that the rules are such that if a player has already been a UFA that he can not be considered an RFA again.

You may be right, but I'd have to go trolling through the CBA to figure that out, and it wouldn't surprise me if that weren't spelled out.

Matt Ryan has been far more impressive this year than Cassel, Ryan is a true rookie, plus he took over a team that went 4-12, Cassel took over the greatest team of all time. Don't get me wrong I love what Cassel is doing but Matt Ryan is having one of the best rookie years for a QB that I've ever seen

Matt Ryan has been far more impressive this year than Cassel, Ryan is a true rookie, plus he took over a team that went 4-12, Cassel took over the greatest team of all time. Don't get me wrong I love what Cassel is doing but Matt Ryan is having one of the best rookie years for a QB that I've ever seen

The expectations of Matt Ryan were far greater than those of Matt Cassel. Ryan was a starter in college and early on in the draft talks was touted as a #1 pick. People expected him to do well and he has.

Nobody knew what to expect from Cassel. Apples and oranges kind of thing imo.

Keep in mind that Cassel has a better passer rating than 4 QB's on teams with equal-or-better records (Flacco, Big Ben, Collins, Delhomme). The only QB in the league with a better passer rating and record is Eli Manning.

Different kinds of pressure, really. Ryan had the pressure of being the top overall QB in the draft; not every QB can handle that. Cassel had the pressure of having to step in for a QB who just had arguably the best season ever by a QB. And, from the POV of the media, he had to justify Belichick's faith in him, given his extreme greenness--not that that matters to Cassel in the huddle.

I expected eventually Cassel would be producing well enough for this team to still contend, and they look in position to do just that. So, record-wise and number-wise he's not exceeded my expectations. But actually watching him on the field the last 4 weeks, AT THIS POINT he is ahead of where I thought he'd be. Remember his pocket presense, or lack thereof in the first month? Well lately when I watch him stand back there in the pocket I honestly feel like I'm watching TFB. He has known exactly when to take off and converted multiple 3rd downs with his legs as well as his arm. He's not making costly mistakes aside from 1 in the 3rd quarter yesterday (two in 4 weeks is not a bad average, the 2nd pick vs. the Rams was a tough break IMO). Midway through the season he is playing about as good as I ever could have expected, now I can't wait to see how he does over the stretch.

How do you figure that the Pats could end up with another 1st and 3rd? The Patriots are NOT going to franchise Cassel. Its not going to happen. He's an unrestricted FA and if he doesn't re-sign with the Pats, the only compensation that the Patriots get is, possibly, a compensatory pick.

I hate to see this raise it's head again but they could franchise him and if he gets us into the playoffs and is continuing to personally progress it's a good bet they will do their due diligence gauging the interest in him and if someone in a functionally QB starved league is willing to part with a day 1 pick or more they'd be foolish not to. Again, he won't sign the tag because he wants a long term deal with a team of his own. To sign it would be tantemount to admitting he believes he's a flash in the pan product of a system content to make a one time financial score.

They could also try to extend him now on an interim deal that pays him several million up front (he's earned it) with the implicit guarantee of more from someone (us if he continues to start in Brady's absence or a trade partner if he doesn't) in 2009 and 2010. It would have to be a 2 year extension that allowed for some cap to be absorbed this season thereby making it a tradeable deal that doesn't hold prohibitive dead cap. A one year deal would not cut it as it would make him a RFA in 2010. I believe the tag would not trigger the 6 year RFA as the only options are retagging at 120% or releasing.

I don't see the risk in tagging him because I trust this FO would only do it if they believed he was imminently tradeable, he would not sign it pre-emptively as doing so would postpone the remainder of his career as a starter and send up red flags about his personality, and they would not do it to retain him as a Brady backup - O'Connell is next up augmented if necessary by a veteran.

Last edited:
Thinking long term, it is better to negotiate a new deal for Cassel as soon as possible, like right now, for 3 years, than to franchise him. It gives you a little more leverage and time to trade him. Cassel may agree to it if the terms are proper.

Matt's obviously exceeded some people's expectations-some here were calling for his head by game 2-so there's nowhere to go from there except up.

Matt's done a great job improving each week and I expect he'll start to nail those EZ throws as time, reps, and experience allow.

Credit to the team and coaching as well; part of the credit for his improvement goes to coaching for nurturing him along at a well-planned pace, and some credit goes to the offense itself for adapting so well to it's new QB.

Here's how he's exceeded my expectations: yesterday it occurred to me that losing him to a season-ending injury might be the straw to break our camel's back.

Some here were calling for his head after the Miami game last season when he threw a pick to a HOF DE... I knew he'd be OK after the other Miami game in week 17 of 2006. I figured he'd need a series or two to knock the rust of backing up an iron man for 3 seasons off. But i'd watched him do that and improve over just the course of a game against a first string D that always gave Brady fits leading a come from behind effort against a team playing for pride and determined to top .500...

I said from the outset O'Connell was drafted in 2008 for two reasons - they needed a developmental backup on the roster after 2008 and 2009 was projecting as a draft devoid of NFL caliber QB's. The guy whose job was most at risk was Gutierrez and that he had realized that was the case even as the mediots and idiots did not showed in PS.

I always understood that what Bill saw in Cassel was the same thing that Pete saw in him when he recruited him for USC. A smart kid with all the tools. Pete attracted a lot of those at USC - each of whom could have done what Gutz did (and Brady did not) and step down competitively to play. Bill likes the guys with no quit in 'em.

I knew that what we were watching in PS was the #2 trying to run this offense as opposed to trying to impress the masses. I realized the offense had issues that required some work that making plays with roster fodder vs. the other guys 2nd and 3rd stringers was not going to impact.

The bandwaggon frontrunners hyper-critical kneejerk mentality and weekly rush to message board judgement here over the last couple of seasons has been the most pathetic aspect of those seasons for me...

I'm not a genius, I just try to rationally assess what was there for anyone to see - provided they weren't too busy trying to stay ahead of the prediction curve for failure so they could say I told you so...

I love how some of them now want to make the case that no one could have known or seen it coming... because they didn't.

Thinking long term, it is better to negotiate a new deal for Cassel as soon as possible, like right now, for 3 years, than to franchise him. It gives you a little more leverage and time to trade him. Cassel may agree to it if the terms are proper.
Depending on the numbers that could be the best case all the way around. 3 years for $X. It protects us in case Brady isn't looking ready and also makes him tradeable if Brady is going to be ready.

I said from the outset

I always understood that

I knew that what we were watching

I'm not a genius, I just try to

I love how some

I call bullsh*t. I have been as big a Cassel supporter as any and I hardly recall any passionate defense of Cassel from you in the past half year. Perhaps a post or two, but hardly the genius eye for talent you are claiming to have, in hindsight.

You are basically just a huge homer who dismisses *any* criticism of the team.

Depending on the numbers that could be the best case all the way around. 3 years for $X. It protects us in case Brady isn't looking ready and also makes him tradeable if Brady is going to be ready.

That would be the best case scenario in my mind. Unfortunately, it will be in Cassel's best interest to at least test the waters in the offseason. Based on what we've seen so far, if he continues to play at this level or steadily improves, he could get offered a starter's job & money from somebody.

Looking at who might be interested in a decent, youngish veteran starter with room still to grow (and also possibly be able to pay him):

Chiefs, 49ers, Lions, Vikings, Buccaneers come to mind. The latter two would be formidable with MC at the helm, IMHO.

If you are Matt Cassel would you take a 3-year 7 million dollar deal? With low signing bonus from the Pats, because they would want the option to trade you.

I think there is a chance he would take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back