PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassel has far exceeded expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suddenly everyone knew just how good Cassel was going to be from Game 1 of the season.

A bunch of Nostradamuses we have in this pub. <rolls eyes>

who said that? Earlier it was painful to see him take so many sacks.

I think Denver was the turning point even though he was sacked a bunch

He has exceeded my expectations. I thought they would be 8-8 with him as QB but now my expectations are 11-5 to 10-6.

The team can control the ball and he manages the game very well now.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I liked about Cassel today. I had great seats at the game and focused on certain things. It was obvious that Cassel (thank you, OL) was progressing through his reads. I saw him look to Moss several times and move through the progressions. Several times throwing to the 3rd choice.

More subjectively, I saw the way he looked at Josh and BB when he'd come off the field between plays. Very Brady like in his calm, attentive demeanor. Looked to be in that RoboQB mode that I've noted in Brady. Focused.

Both Matt and Tom (you know, the QB before Cassel that everbody has forgotten) have had the benefit of some great coaching and tutilege. It is to their respective credits that they have taken advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

he has done well, I mean still a long way to go, and 6-3 is prob the right record for this team, with out tom brady..

Cassel has been fantastic relative to expectations. The only problem is he doesn't get the ball in the end zone enough; of course the drop by Gaffney last week wasn't his fault but he should have more than 7 TD passes at this point. Short of that, he's been very good and he's been great considering what we expected. His lack of mistakes is startling to me.

Speaking of Aaron Rodgers, he has been playing amazingly well, better than Favre:
Aaron Rodgers: Career Stats

Rodgers has 13 td's, 5 int's.

Cassel could have comparable numbers to Rodgers in the second half of the year, as his vision improves in the red zone.

Suddenly everyone knew just how good Cassel was going to be from Game 1 of the season.

just wait. If the Patriots lose on thursday there will be 12 "Our QB situation is unnacceptable" threads started.

Cassel could have comparable numbers to Rodgers in the second half of the year, as his vision improves in the red zone.

The only numbers I care about:

Cassel 6-3
Rodgers 4-5

i will admit that I was one of the critics, hoping that the Pats would bring in a Vet in case he faltered. He has impressed me with his ability to implement the game plan (long drives, manage the clock). His deep ball is still not where it need to be, but he is giving the Pats a chance to win the division. Great job by him. Of course, he has a ton of talent around him, but you cant take the job he has done away from him.

You aren't alone......there were more that a few of us (albeit a minority) that expected he would improve week by week as he gained experience.

He also had a lot of rust to shake off. Remember that before game two this year, he last started a game about 8 years ago......

just wait. If the Patriots lose on thursday there will be 120 "Our QB situation is unnacceptable" threads started.

I fixed your post for you. :) :(

C'mon, even the biggest homer on the planet wasn't expecting this out of Cassel. What we have seen so far is probably the best case scenario one could project before game 1, given all the context of his inexperience. Are you saying you are not pleased?

Expecting what? For Cassel to not LOSE games? For Cassel to not commit turnovers and to be efficient?

There were plenty of people who said that Cassel would make this team at the end of training camp even though the local media was hyping Gutierrez. There were plenty of people who, rightly, pointed out how poorly the O-line was doing in their consistency through the 1st 5 games.

Cassel is doing better than I expected in that he's got a higher completion % than Brady did when Brady took over the team in 2001. Cassel is also on pace to be equal to or slightly better than Brady was in terms of the number of interceptions thrown.

I've supported Cassel because, as soon as he was named the starter and BB sent Rattay and the other guy away, I knew that BB wasn't going to go with someone else who wasn't on the team.

I am happy with his progress. He's getting better and better each week. They are only baby steps, but its improvement. And Cassel could be a good interim QB for a team next year that needs someone to step in during the transition. I could see him going to Minnesota or Detroit and having success. Particularly in Minnesota. That is, of course, if the Patriots don't re-sign him.

As long as he doesnt screw it up we are gonna end up with an extra 1st and 3rd come draft day....wow, imagine 2 1st rounders, 2 second rounders and 3 third rounders....

How do you figure that the Pats could end up with another 1st and 3rd? The Patriots are NOT going to franchise Cassel. Its not going to happen. He's an unrestricted FA and if he doesn't re-sign with the Pats, the only compensation that the Patriots get is, possibly, a compensatory pick.

Last edited:

Thank you for exaggerating again. You keep proving my point about your posts.

As far as I'm concerned, forget about the stats. Cassel's still no Tom Brady but for the most part today I watched him move in the pocket, and calmly and cooly find his open receiver when he truly needed to.

There's just no getting Cassel flustered anymore. And he's proven he's really not going to beat himself.

How do you figure that the Pats could end up with another 1st and 3rd? The Patriots are NOT going to franchise Cassel. Its not going to happen. He's an unrestricted FA and if he doesn't re-sign with someone, the only compensation that the Patriots get is, possibly, a compensatory pick.

Actually. . . . with the fact that he'd be an RFA the year after, would he have any incentive to sign the franchise tender?

Cassel has far exceeded my expectations, but far too many people were late to the party on that he has far exceeded expectations. The guy has been playing like a solid starting NFL Qb for nearly a month now.

BTW, what a difference a solid o-line can do for his sack totals.

The san francisco game was my eye-opener. After that game, he had my complete confidence.

Cassel is O.K. People forget he has the best coaches surrounding him and a very good offense. He has improved a lot. However, he isn't exceeding my expectation because he isn't a game changer. He is a game manager which i expected he or O'Connel could become based on the coaching and offense. Why would we franchise Cassel? He on another team would not improve them. He hasn't really wowed me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes