Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maternity crisis: Women are giving birth in lifts and even toilets

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

Yeah, this is awesome...

The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, offices and hospital toilets

By Jenny Hope and Nick Mcdermott
    Last updated at 8:36 AM on 26th August 2009
    Comments (233) Add to My Stories

Thousands of women are having to give birth outside maternity wards because of a lack of midwives and hospital beds.

The babies born in hospital corridors: Bed shortage forces 4,000 mothers to give birth in lifts, offices and hospital toilets | Mail Online

2. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

What's with the scare tactics hate monger? Dissent being a form of patriotism stopped after January 19th.

3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +608 / 7 / -7

It's certainly horrific that there are some situations where women in the UK give births in hallways and lifts. It no doubt contributes to their infant mortality rate of 4.85 per 1,000 live births.

Once again: UK, 4.85 deaths per 1,000 live births. That's the UK's infant mortality rate.

Do you have heartwrenching little stories that explain the United States' infant mortality rate of 6.26 deaths per 1,000 live births?

That's much higher.

Once again: US, 6.26 deaths per 1,000 live births.

What are the stories that add up to the higher incidence of infant mortality in the United States?

Since everything is perfect here, and conditions are so much worse in countries with better health indicators, shouldn't we have a lower infant mortality rate?

Why does a baby in Sweden - with 2.75 deaths per 1,000 live births - have such a higher chance of survival than an American baby?

Is it the robust free-market model Sweden uses to determine health care? Oh wait, no, Sweden doesn't do that.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2091rank.html

Clowns.

PFnV

4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Its cute how they quietly fold two years worth of births together to double the number of babies born outside of perfect hospital conditions and insert that number right in the headline. So keep in mind that the 4000 is actually 2000 per year. Couple that to the reported 700,000 babies born in the UK every year and you get one child in 350. Further couple that to the fact that the birth rate in the UK has risen sharply over the last few years (it went up by 18,000 babies between 2007 and 2008) and you're left with STFarmy's quite apt question

Only I'll ask it without the implied sarcasm of the second sentence.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

If they shove their "Obama Health Care Crap" down our throats make the Dirty Politicians use it also, can anybody explain why the Old Hag Pelosi and her gang of grinning Rats won't have to have the same Health Care as we do?

If the Obama Crap is so great why won't those bastards in congress use it?

THE PEOPLE DON'T WANT IT AND THE PEOPLE SHOULD DO MORE THAN JUST YELL.

6. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Most of Congress isn't old enough to have your health insurance there Harry. It would be illegal for 57 yr old Susan Collins (one of your Senators btw) to get Medicare and while legality seldom stops the average Republican, it seems to have worked in this case.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Most people are happy with their health insurance and their medical care. They say they want "reform" but they partly talking about cost and partly responding to two decades of hearing about the "healthcare crisis". The obamans have no right to take a working system away from us for their grand experiment. Americans want costs to be lowered if possible without hurting their healthcare and for those who truly can't afford it, but try (i.e. have, or try to get, a job) to get some level of basic care. That is it.

Most people don't want this experiment. Sorry, that's how it is. Now - the $120 the insurance was billed when I went to the Dermatologist to have a mark on my face looked at to see if I should have it removed in case in could be cancerous and I literally saw the doctor for 90 seconds, that kind of billing could see some reform. Although I'll say again, the best reform would be for it not to be covered, if we spent our own money (and had lower premiums) we'd look into the cost more before showing up. Health insurance should be like car insurance, just for the big stuff.

8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +102 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

What a bunch of hypocrites. 20 minutes before they are born you could care less if if they were sucked through a blender with a shop vac.

Anyway,

Bernadine Healy, M.D.: Behind the baby count - US News and World Report

9. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Thanks for that article. I think PFinVA made a good point with infant mortality, and it made me think a little bit. But it did seem that there were likely a lot of variables in how different places calculated infant mortality. I am curious to see how much of a difference it would make.

10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

I'm talking about The Sh!t they are trying Ram through now not medicare, if they succeed with their Obama Crap will the bastards in congress be using it.

(Collins/Snowe, closet liberal loons they never get my vote, they are two grinning back stabbing jerks)

11. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I don't know where people get the idea that the Republican party is full of miserable hate mongers. Its a deep mystery.

12. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

No, you're talking about what the Hannitys and Limbaughs of the world have called it, not what it actually is. Like Belechickfan who want's a cheaper system that insures the poor; but doesn't want Obama's plan even though that's exactly what it does.

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +716 / 2 / -9

Why are so many Americans against it and if it is so great why won't Pelosi and her sniveling little sidekick Reid be using it?

14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't know if your figures are accurate, but even if they are ... infant mortality in the U.S. will only INCREASE with socialized medicine. And the costs to economy will spiral beyond control. Remember one thing: the same Congress who is pushing for this bride of Frankenstein is the same Congress who has EXEMPTED themselves -- for LIFE -- from it. That's all the proof anyone needs to know this is the biggest rip off since the Community Re-investment Act (CRA).

Tort reform and good old fashioned competition in the health profession is the *only* way to make health care affordable and high quality to all. Get the God damned lawyers OUT of health care and costs will be reduced by 70% or more over night. There will be a lot fewer lawyers driving Lamborghinis and Ferraris around, a lot fewer buying homes in the Hamptons and on the Vineyard, but I can live with with that.

//

15. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +415 / 31 / -48

#50 Jersey

They are no more clowns than yourself..

There are a variety of factors that go into why deaths in the United States can be higher. Especially over a country like Sweden. Hell, its fallacy to assume that the reason that the deaths are lower in those countries is STRICTLY because of the health care system.

First and foremost, I can think of all the TEEN pregnancies that go on here in the United States. Then you factor in the number of pregnancies that go occur to drug addicts and such.. I can fully understand why the numbers are higher here in the US...

Not to mention the number of hospitals has decreased significantly here in the US. How many hospitals are there per 1000? I'd bet that in Sweden, UK, etc, the numbers are higher than here in the US.

Looking at the straight numbers and claiming its just because of the healthcare system is just as bad as the the fear mongering..

16. godef

godef In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You might've mentioned that this was in England.

17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +572 / 6 / -2

I thought it was obvious.

18. sdaniels7114

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm still wondering why its a horrible crisis for 1 in 350 babies to be born outside of a hospital's delivery room in the United Kingdom; but its no big deal that 16% of Americans have no medical insurance at all?

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

Tort reform is an interesting discussion, as most of the high settlements come out of state courts, can you say shopping for a easy court with high settlement history... do you want the executive branch and congress to start to mess with State's rights??? Essentially it is a state issue.. the Prez can take the lead...

Secondly, if this president were to begin a discussion about tort reform, can you imagine the resulting uproar that he would dare to discuss the Judicial Branch of government and infrindge upon the rights of the judiciary???

The reality is that Tort Reform, might be a good thing, but in reality it is a slippery slope with a whole lot of crap that can mess it up. Need to be mindful of unintended consequences...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  20. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,142 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

Just saying here ... how did prehistoric man pull it off. Part of the health care bill should be to increase the supply of midwives so more women can give birth at home.