PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Massive Welker Conspiracy DeBunked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are medications you can take when your thoughts get into patterns like that.

Very true, and those claiming the Patriots bargained in good faith should be on them as they are meant to deal with delusions.

Come on, man. Calvin Johnson is 26. Wes Welker turned 31 in May. That comparison doesn't work and there's nothing "ludicrous" about the situation. Borg did the heavy lifting data-wise on this subject and I suggest you study his post.

1.) The comparison's fine

2.) The situation is/was ludicrous, ridiculous, stupid, etc...

3.) Borg's data does basically nothing to help on the topic, as it's woefully incomplete

Very true, and those claiming the Patriots bargained in good faith should be on them as they are meant to deal with delusions.

Unless you were in the negotiations, you don't know anymore than any of us. I'm guessing that you weren't there. Despite this, you post like you were right there next to Wes taking notes for him.

You say that Brady and Wes have 4-5 years left each. Where is your proof of this? If you can present that proof to the Patriots organization, I'm sure they'll be happy to sign Wes up for about 4 years. If you don't have proof which is likely the case (as it doesn't exist) you're FOS.

Come on, man. Calvin Johnson is 26. Wes Welker turned 31 in May. That comparison doesn't work and there's nothing "ludicrous" about the situation. Borg did the heavy lifting data-wise on this subject and I suggest you study his post.

Troy Brown's career and situation is an apples and oranges comparison to Welker's begin with. Brown was the #1 option here briefly, and topped a thousand yards just once, and in 2002 he played injured and never fully recovered from what was likely a combination of wear and tear, surgery that wasn't entirely successful and inability to recover the all important first step that ultimately made him the success he was.

Wes suffered an ACL injury at 28 and after increasingly successful surgery and maniacal rehab recovered substantially in 2010 at 29 and actually improved on his previous best seasons in 2011 at age 30. This team has to be praying it's LG fares as well after investing $30M in guaranteed money in him at 29 and watching him suffer the same injury months later. This is a production value based industry and while fantasy fans jones over prototypical #1 outside the numbers WR's who amass stats in bigger chunks, at the end of the day few of them manage to remain on the field as consistently or compete for rings when they while putting up similar numbers to a weapon like Welker whose team generally competes for them provided he's standing, which is 95% of the time.

The disconnect many of us have with the way the team approached his situation is their unwillingness to commit to more than 3 years and $17M in the fall of 2011 after seeing him in camp following his comeback season in 2010. And the unwillingness to even commit to that after he put up a career season in 2011. Somehow preferring to commit $9.5M to one season in 2012 and face the prospect of committing to another $11.4M in 2013 or watching him simply walk away. This team currently is somewhat cavalierly carrying $17.5M in dead cap money, with more to come, for players who either haven't produced a thing here or players incapable of producing anything here going forward. Yet they were so conservative in assessing Welker they were unable or unwilling to commit to even that to secure his services for 3 more seasons. Meanwhile some of their more ardent critics are lauding the obviously inherent brilliance of this particular decision.

Unless you were in the negotiations, you don't know anymore than any of us. I'm guessing that you weren't there. Despite this, you post like you were right there next to Wes taking notes for him.

You say that Brady and Wes have 4-5 years left each. Where is your proof of this? If you can present that proof to the Patriots organization, I'm sure they'll be happy to sign Wes up for about 4 years. If you don't have proof which is likely the case (as it doesn't exist) you're FOS.

If he has it he probably keeps it in a mayonaise jar like the team does along with the proof that any of them have more than another snap left.

I think it's very reasonable to assume Welker and Brady can play four more years.

Perhaps you could give us your indisputable proof that Brady and Welker don't have 4-5 years left...

Perhaps you could give us your indisputable proof that Brady and Welker don't have 4-5 years left...

No proof, obviously, but let's hope the Patriots can do better than a 40-year-old quarterback in five years.

Welker's longevity could be 4-5 years, but I doubt that, too. Probably two to three years for Welker. A great deal of Welker's longevity depends on the length of his 2013 deal. I doubt the Pats will franchise him again at $10+ in 2013, so he's probably looking at a three-year deal at the very longest.

I did not articluate my thought well. I didn't mean to imply it was a staged death. Let me try again.

Wes and BB refused to comment, other than Wes saying it was personal issues. In the interviews I saw they both seemed a little ticked (just my opinion). I'm of the opinion that if the Patriots excused a player from practice and a game they would say that.

I think many people interpreted Bedards tweet to mean Welker was excused by the team. I don't necessarily think that's the case.

Has Welker played at all this preseason? If he didn't play vs the Saints does anyone recall the reason?

You should pay better attention or try doing some research. He was in for all but 3 of Brady's snaps. Didn't play in Eagles game because none of the offensive starters did other than OL and RB.

Snaps: Lloyd's standing of note - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

I did not articluate my thought well. I didn't mean to imply it was a staged death. Let me try again.

Wes and BB refused to comment, other than Wes saying it was personal issues. In the interviews I saw they both seemed a little ticked (just my opinion). I'm of the opinion that if the Patriots excused a player from practice and a game they would say that.

I think many people interpreted Bedards tweet to mean Welker was excused by the team. I don't necessarily think that's the case.

Has Welker played at all this preseason? If he didn't play vs the Saints does anyone recall the reason?

First rule of holes

No proof, obviously, but let's hope the Patriots can do better than a 40-year-old quarterback in five years.

Welker's longevity could be 4-5 years, but I doubt that, too. Probably two to three years for Welker. A great deal of Welker's longevity depends on the length of his 2013 deal. I doubt the Pats will franchise him again at $10+ in 2013, so he's probably looking at a three-year deal at the very longest.

Be careful what you wish for. There aren't that many QB's of any age that might be nearly as good let alone better than a 40 year old GOAT.

And they're talking Welker's longevity, not his contracts. If they couldn't do a 3 year deal this season - which reportedly was all he was looking for - and they weren't willing to give him a 3 year extension a year ago - what would lead you to believe they would be more likely to a year or two later. The time to roll the dice has come and gone.

The only thing that the Krafts get at all sentimental about is NFL Championships. But, even contributions to two or three shiny Lombardi's weren't enough for Bob and Jonathan to break their rules for Asante Samuel or Adam Vinatieri. We shouldn't expect them to act any differently in the case of a player who has tried mightily but hasn't helped deliver a Championship and who many think let one slip through his fingers.

You're talking about the wrong party.

It's not the Krafts - - it's the guy who runs the business - - Belichick.

If it were up to the Krafts, they would pay Welker what he wants, just like they did for Max Lane, Todd Rucci and every other player that worked their way into their hearts before Belichick came to town.

Great point, Welker is worth less than a 3rd of what Santonio Holmes and Pierre Garcon got.

Wow, I didn't know Santonio Holmes and Pierre Garcon play on the same teams with the greatest pair of 22 year TEs in NFL history (not to mention the best QB in the game today) who are greateer priorities to sign and pay under the salary cap regime.

You have a lot to learn about how the NFL works in 2012.

Last edited:
Actually I stayed out of this thread until someone tried to claim the Patriots were actually negotiating with Welker in good faith, which is BS. If you can't handle someone criticizing the team every once in a while i suggest you find a bigger fanboy site, although that may be hard to do.

The irony is you are the biggest fanboy on this site, although just for Welker. Its actually kind of creepy.

The irony is you are the biggest fanboy on this site, although just for Welker. Its actually kind of creepy.

:confused:

Ivan's one of the biggest homers on this site. He's not a one player fanboy.

Last edited:

At least he picked a consistently productive target.

You're talking about the wrong party.

It's not the Krafts - - it's the guy who runs the business - - Belichick.

If it were up to the Krafts, they would pay Welker what he wants, just like they did for Max Lane, Todd Rucci and every other player that worked their way into their hearts before Belichick came to town.

I think that has changed over time and the Krafts now relish winning the negotiations almost more than Bill ever did.

I think that has changed over time and the Krafts now relish winning the negotiations almost more than Bill ever did.

So WHEN did that change and what changed it?

We all know the answer.

Last edited:

I agree. Certainly the Mankins contract had Kraft all over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes