Welcome to PatsFans.com

Massblows: Store owner arrested for defending his property from burglar

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 15, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

This is truly outrageous. What a totally arse backwards place this is.

[​IMG]

Was it self-defense or firearms offense?

Hanover caterer confronted intruder with gun, and faces charges

Email|Print|Single Page| Text size – + By Milton J. Valencia
    Globe Staff / May 15, 2008

The racket came from the dark kitchen area, and it startled David Crest as he slept in the office of his Hanover catering business. He suspected he was being burglarized again, and as he crept toward the noise, he grabbed the Mossberg 500 12-gauge shotgun he had kept by his side.

April 21 marked the second consecutive night that Crest had stayed in his business office, the first night keeping his vigil until 3 a.m. He had figured one of his employees was involved in the heists - although he never suspected O'Connor - and told his crew he was going on vacation. If the thief was going to strike, it would be then, he figured.

Much was at stake for Family Crest Catering, the business Crest and his wife had built over 17 years. Some $3,000 worth of equipment and goods had disappeared from his Hanover shop since October. (A later audit would show that another $4,000 had been embezzled, his lawyer said.)

On the scene, Crest told investigators that he had an active firearms license. But, to his surprise, police told him they would seek a criminal complaint against him. A Hingham District Court magistrate clerk agreed to bring charges two days later.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...5/15/was_it_self_defense_or_firearms_offense/
    Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. Real World

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

I always come back to something a cop told us after we got in to a rumble with some thugs, and my buddy pulled out his Glock in self defense. The dudes that jumped him ran when they saw he was packing, LEGALLY, but we called the cops anyway. When they came, my buddy explained the situation, showed him his license, and the cop had some advice. I'll never forget it.

He said:

"Between you and me, if you ever have to use it, don't shoot to hurt, shoot to kill. If you shoot someone and they live, you're only going to get sued, and probably go to jail."

It sounded awful 10 years ago, but made more and more sense as the years wore on.

From the article:

What if? If the guy was shot and killed there'd be one less crook in the world. Somehow the owner who's being robbed is the bad guy, if he shoots some loser thief who's stealing his livelyhood. What stupidity. :rolleyes:
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 2 / -9

The liberals love this stuff, it makes them all warm and fuzzy when they read it.

Sad to say in our blame the victim society this guy would probably be better off if he killed the scumbag, when you leave them alive they sue you and you wind up in jail, dead maggots can't sue you and they can't testify against you.

:bricks:
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree.

I don't agree that this is just a Mass thing. Please stop dissin my Cawminwealth!
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Wake me up when the poor victim sues the big mean man with the gun.
  6. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Sorry to say this but the law says that unless your cornered with nowhere to run,(and feel in physical danger) then you can shoot,shoot to kill.... Unless your the cops then you could shoot the guy in the back and all would be fine after a little investigation. Crest will get off with a warning IMO I just wonder after firing a 12 gage in a small room if he'll be able to hear the judge.

The reason I know this is that i use to have a FFL, Federal Firearms Licanse and with it you got a book of state laws pertaining to guns. At least thats the way it use to be.
  7. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This is ridiculous.

Just curious though, RW, since you seem to post lots of anti-mass threads, why do you still live in mass then
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

Cuz I was born here unfortunately. My fiance lives here, my family, friends, etc. I own a house in the state. My parents business, where I work, is here also. The "area" is nice. Most of the people are ok. My disdain is more toward the incredibly inefficient, wasteful, corrupt, and inept government we have. I know, I know, if I don't like it, then leave. Well, by that logic, and I'm speaking out loud here Mav, and not at you, then a lot of people in this very forum should be leaving the US real soon, since so many in here whine about it all day long. Voicing displeasure is what I'm doing. I'm trying to point out how gross this place is. Maybe if more people are enlightened to this places stupidity, it'll someday change. LOL. That at least sounded nice. :(
  9. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I feel the guy's pain, but..............come on, once the owner saw that it was his chef (who ran/ was not armed) what was the purpose of firing. I almost get the one or two warning shots, then the caterer is shooting at the guy's tires. So if he hits the gas tank and the car explodes, the crime fits the punishment? I've worked years in this field, stealing is routine. You want vengeance, keep track of the guy's employment. If it was me in that situation, if I have a gun, I also have a camcorder, and if its an employee, he's screwed. I do not shoot the gun.

BTW, I think this would be fairly consistant with other states (maybe not Texas). I always think of the case my fith grade teacher told us. A homeowner (in the Carolinas I think) rigged a shotgun to go off if an intruder broke in. A intruder broke in, shotgun went off, intruder dead, homeowner guilty. That was a long long time ago, but I believe still holds true today.
  10. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +72 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I agree there was no need to shoot. He (Crest) knew who it was,it was all over for the Cheff. The Cops would go to his house and most likely find evidence of previous B@E's. Creast was acting like a cowboy by shooting
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +451 / 6 / -2

I guess the only people who can shoot at moving cars in this country, and can get away with it, are the cops. They can lay 51 rounds into a vehicle with no worries. If you own a business though, and you catch some loser thief who's previously robbed you blind, you can't even pull the trigger, nevermind shoot at him. The thief is the victim. :bricks: (those bricks are gfor you Harry!) :D