Welcome to PatsFans.com

Massachusetts Moonbat Madness

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 7, 2012.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

Welcome to moonbat managed Massachusetts. A place where bake sales are banned in order to Save the Children!

What's this country coming to? Lemonade stands by 10 year olds get ticketed by inspectional services. Food co-ops that serve locally unpasteurized milk get raided at gunpoint by the feds. Now a state is about to ban school bakes sales 24/7. :steamed:

Parents: Rule’s half-baked

State’s junk food ban could take bite out of school fundraisers

By Laurel J. Sweet and Chris Cassidy
    Monday, May 7, 2012 - Updated 39 minutes ago

Bake sales, the calorie-laden standby cash-strapped classrooms, PTAs and booster clubs rely on, will be outlawed from public schools as of Aug. 1 as part of new no-nonsense nutrition standards, forcing fundraisers back to the blackboard to cook up alternative ways to raise money for kids.

At a minimum, the nosh clampdown targets so-called “competitive” foods — those sold or served during the school day in hallways, cafeterias, stores and vending machines outside the regular lunch program, including bake sales, holiday parties and treats dished out to reward academic achievement. But state officials are pushing schools to expand the ban 24/7 to include evening, weekend and community events such as banquets, door-to-door candy sales and football games.

The Departments of Public Health and Education contend clearing tables of even whole milk and white bread is necessary to combat an obesity epidemic affecting a third of the state’s 1.5 million students. But parents argue crudites won’t cut it when the bills come due on athletic equipment and band trips.

Parents: Rule’s half-baked - BostonHerald.com

2. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Liberal NYC moms want to ban ice cream trucks-not good for you plus kids feel bad if the ice cream man ran out of what the kid wanted. Fox news reports lol: NYC Moms Want to Ban Ice Cream Trucks : Federal Jack NYC moms should just move here to MA-10 minutes with Deval Patrick and the ice cream truck shall be nothing but a fond memory of times long ago.

MA the parents are angry about these bs laws re: 'junk food'. And they're mad because this law will quickly and directly affect their wallets. What exactly are the football moms supposed to sell on a cold Friday night in November-salads and fresh fruit? Those proceeds should go a long way towards funding... socks :bricks:

I agree-this state has lost it's way. So have the feds.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

This is flat out stupid, one might think that Mass. Legislators have better things to do...

Girl Scout cookies are next..

4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Hey, even though every other generation had them and didn't get all chubby, I can see why they're passing this law. It's not the children's fault they have no discipline in their lives and need our MA nanny gov't to force discipline upon them.:rolleyes:

Next thing ya know, Massachusetts will try to pass a law that stores can't sell candy to children. They'll need a note from mom & dad.

You know folks, we CAN end this law and put it on a referendum and vote it down....I honestly think we should do that.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I echo all the previous posts on this topic. This law seems misguided and dumb. I have no issue with what their desired outcome is, getting everyone healthier is something we should be doing, just I don't think this, and other laws in the same vein, realize the true source of the issue.

I am a big fan of laws which go the root of the problem, tackle it and resolve said issue.

I find laws like this one or even the discussions about violent movies/video games to be similar in this sense. The discussions, or in this case a law, don't work on fixing the root problem, which in my opinion is disconnected parents.

During my childhood we went to school and once we were out of school for the day or year, every waking hour was spent running around the neighborhood; playing ball, street hockey, building tree forts, man hunt, riding our bikes etc etc...basically anything which would keep up busy (and dirty) outside and I didn't come home until dinner time in the evening. Activities one could deem "being a kid" was our babysitter. I am sure it was similar for those of you who are older than I am.

Nowadays those types of activities seem to take a backseat to Xbox, PS3, the internet (in general), TV. I realize that in many cases both parents (or even if it is a single parent home) may be working to provide for their families, but that really isn't different than what I had either. Both my parents, and most of the parents in the neighborhood I grew up in worked. So what changed? Was it the scare tactics that the world played with parents emotions; that it was no longer safe to let your kids run around because someone might snatch em? Was there something ingrained in the generation who are parents nowadays that said to them "its ok to retract from what your kids are doing"?

Whether its eating right, getting proper exercise or doing well in school parents should take a vested interest in their kids and at a 50K foot level, it seems that many aren't. My parents and most of the parents of my friends set boundaries, limitations and expectations of their kids. What foods you could load up on, what tv shows/movies or video games were appropriate for their kids at a given age (and how much of them you could watch/interact with) and what level of seriousness school was to be taken at.

Bake sales, girl scout cookies, the internet, video games, action movies, music etc aren't the ills that are causing kids to be obese (or violent) today. It is parents not being involved in their kids lives and setting expectations and limitations accordingly.

To anyone with a brain, snacking on cookies and sweets and playing Call of Duty for hours on end rather than going outside and running around is going to cause your kid to pack on the weight. But lets not look at the real source of issue. No, lets waste our time and money creating legislation to ban the sale of those evil brownies!?

The solution to our childhood obesity problem isn't legislation. It is a paradigm shift. Kids should be kids and their interactions should be kid like too...it just takes a parent being a parent to reach that.

D

6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

Not sure it has that much to do with self control, has to do with more addictions, price, availability, size of servings, fat content, corporate irresponsibility etc.

As long as McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell and Wendy's can serve a family dinner that is less expensive, and twice a fattening, than home cooking this will be a continual problem..

As long as long as we have sports drinks that are pimped by athletes with 34 g of sugar in one bottle, strawberry coolatta's at Dunkin Donuts with 114 g of sugar and Vanilla Bean Coolatta with 174 g of sugar there will be problems..

They can ban cake sales, but they cannot do anything about the availibility and price of fast foods..

7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

True on the first part but I don't think it's cheaper to eat fast food than a meal at home. A healthy meal of baked chicken, rice/potato and vegetable with juice/milk (orange/apple/cranberry) is much cheaper than 4 value meals. But it takes the effort to cook it which plays into the responsibility issue....

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +424 / 12 / -26

It makes sense, until you see signs in the window that says feed a family of 4 for $9.99.. of course with your way you have to go shopping, cook and then clean up.. oh the horrors!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I figured you to be 20-something...but this post gives me the impression you're significantly older?

I agree 100% about laws don't address the real problem and the real problem is with some peoples' choices. Hey, we have people addicted to alcohol and many other things, but we don't make them illegal because of some people.

Now, if we passed some laws outlawing hormones in food or engineering seeds (see Monsanto), I'd be ok with that.

When I was a child, 8-10lb chickens didn't exist. Now we have chicken WINGS as large as an eagle's wing.... ;)

10. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

10 char.

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

k......

You sounded older because I identified with much of what you wrote. And the street hockey thing actually made you sound a LOT older. It's not played nearly to the extent it was in the 70's....I haven't seen kids playing street-hockey in the street in 20+ years...not even once.

But what you described is exactly like my childhood. We'd be gone by 9am, stop home for lunch and back out again only to return for dinner.

wish I could still do that drewski....:mad:

12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

To those that scream "MOONBAT" I ask: Just how far above the national average does the average Mass students have to do before you begin to give the tiniest benefit of the doubt to the people manning and womaning the schools that the kids are doing so well in? I know they're public sector employees, but just stop and think for a second. Just because its been done for decades doesn't make it right.

"UUUUGGGGHHH new ideas bad!!! processed sugar good!!!"

13. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I just scream stupid waste of time and money law. Wanting to get the youth (and for that matter all age groups) healthier is a cause we should all be behind. But banning parents bake sales is not going to work at solving the issue.

What good did banning the Football teams bake sale fundraiser if you just hit up BK on the way home and King Sized your #1 with Cheese?

Laws, when created, should target and correct the issue it was created to, not some corrupted (for lack of a better term) manifestation of "it".

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Personal responsibility should never be legislated. Just like people who bought homes far above what they could afford...no one's fault but their own.

Unless of course we want to assume the average American is stupid....

15. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Seatbeat and Motorcycle helmet laws say "hell-O'.

16. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I'm an old soul PR....

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Hello!!

So you want to compare driving a vehicle at 70mph to eating a snack?

18. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

No I just label wearing a seat belt a means of being personally responsible to oneself.

If you don't want to wear one, that should be your choice....albeit a not smart choice.

Just the same as it is a choice to walk up to Mrs. Fields bake sale and buy 20$ worth of baked goods. Certainly not smart to load up on unhealthy foods, but should be a choice people should be allowed to make on their own.

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I don't agree Dreski...not even comparable.

one can choose to eat 1 or 2 cookies. People can exercise and burn off the calories...it's called being "normal" and understanding the concept of moderation.

But someone driving a car of motorcycle doesn't have any options if they die. Other people can smash into you, so it's not really under your control. Where eating is 100% under one's control.

Now, if you want to compare alcohol use to food intake, then you'd have a valid comparision. Alcohol abuse kills hundreds of thousands and we know for a fact it's the cause. But do you see any laws that say you can only buy one six-pack? Nope.

But hey, if one wants to argue from the perspective of "Oh, the poor chubby children", then I can understand.;)

I'm hoping these laws pass so I can quit my job and open a candy, cake & ice cream stand outside our local schools. I'll call all my friends who work for companies that sell fattening snacks to see if they want to get in on it too.

The kids will be psyched and I'll make a killn'!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  20. Drewski

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Maybe I am being unclear PR. You are right, driving a car/bike and buying a snack <> one another.

I am simply looking at it from you want to choose to load up on snacks....your choice.

You want to drive a car without proper safety....again your choice.

But all choices, whether trivial or not, have consequences.

And your alcohol example isnt relevant....the gov get taxes from alcohol sales and they don't from bake sales....so why would they cut off their nose to spite their face?.....Wait a minute:)