Welcome to PatsFans.com

Massachusetts...LOL!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 6 / -2

Hey, I've got a great idea, let's look to the government to run our lives. Afterall, government does such a great, and efficient job with everything it runs. :bricks:

Divided turnpike board sets toll hikes

Increases will be effective Jan. 1

By Noah Bierman, Globe Staff | October 30, 2007

A divided Massachusetts Turnpike Authority board approved a series of toll hikes yesterday, effective Jan. 1, after a fractious meeting at which several members tried to delay a decision and find a way to provide relief to commuters from the western suburbs.

The final 3-to-2 vote will pave the way for an increase of 25 cents at the Allston-Brighton and Weston tollbooths, to $1.25, and 50 cents at the Ted Williams and Sumner tunnels, to $3.50, as a way to help cover growing debt payments on the Big Dig.

Connaughton questioned why the board held five public hearings before yesterday's vote if, according to its legal and accounting staff, the board was locked into voting for the original toll plan, tentatively approved in early October.

"What is the point of the public hearing?" Connaughton said. "We go to the public and ask them to rubber-stamp a decision that we already made?"

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/10/30/divided_turnpike_board_sets_toll_hikes/

2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +147 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Nem the last time you drove through a tunnel in Boston you were probably driving a horse and buggy. :D

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

That wasn't Nem, that was me :singing:

4. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Tolls are outdated. They are labor intensive (what % of a toll goes to labor) and they are hazardous. Car manufacturers need to install toll tags in every car. Use a toll and it is billed to the registered driver. The only problem with this option is it is too inexpensive, no middle man involved, and no bureaucracy.

5. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Then the government knows where everyone is at all times. Pardon the pun; but I'm not so sure I wanna go down that road.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +534 / 6 / -2

No, that's the Ted Williams NEM, which is new. The one you're talking about is the Callahan/Sumner, and that's $4.00, and soon to rise. :bricks:

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +534 / 6 / -2

That's what the fast lane is designed to do. The problem is that they make you pay for it. They should be giving them out free.

8. scott c

scott c On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Move TO maine.............Smoke and Drink............One toll road in the whole state (turnpike).No jobs..........As long as you dont mind being taxed up the ass by our liberal leaders in agustaaaa.............:rocker:

9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Thank the unions for the "gift" of tolls. "You can't put all those toll-collectors out of work, you heartless sons of birches!!!"

//

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't see what you're so worried about... as soon as they pay off the cost of the Turnpike, they are going to eliminate all the tolls. So what's the problem..? We just need to suck it up for about 5 years and then it will be free from Stockbridge to Boston.

Right, moonbats..? That what you guys proimised us so it must be true, right..?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2007
  11. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I love the title of this thread, as I often say that from up here in NH. I laugh, that is, until I realize that they're moving up here and trying to make my great state like theirs. Then I get mad.

12. Real World

Ratings:
    +534 / 6 / -2

What's happening to you, is happening to lots of other states in this country. Lots of people are leaving states like MA, and are bringing their lunacy elsewhere. I feel bad to be honest. This state sooooooo blows.