Welcome to PatsFans.com

Massachusetts: Best 'New Economy' state

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 19, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Well folks...for those who say I never post any good news, here it is! We should be proud of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts...WE'RE #1!!!:D

Massachusetts: Best 'New Economy' state
    A study ranking state economies correlates entrepreneurship with adaptability - even during the toughest times.

CNNMoney.com) -- Massachusetts is the state best positioned for growth when the current economic turmoil recedes, according to the 2008 State New Economy Index released Tuesday.

The study, issued by the nonpartisan think tank Information Technology & Innovation Foundation (ITIF),measures how effectively states operate in order to compete nationally and globally. It notes that states should be focused on whether their economies are well positioned for robust growth in the next decade, pointing out that innovation is central to state economic success.

Massachusetts: Best 'New Economy' state - Nov. 18, 2008

Will this guarantee Duval Patrick a key position in Obama's staff?;)

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Is this from the same people who think Malden is the best city to raise a family?

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

lol...I know...Malden of all towns? :confused2:

Maybe, but I just wanted to post good news at least once in 2008!:D

4. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Don't get too excited. That same survey listed Massachusetts as #1 the last 3 times it was conducted. In 1999, 2002, and 2005.

5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,026 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

It's all relative. They're comparing Massachusetts to the other 49 states - - not other countries.

Off the top of my head, I can't really say any other state is overall better positioned than Massachusetts when it comes to Biotech, Hi-Tech, Medicine, Transportation, etc. for the next few decades.

6. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Massachusetts has so many more advantages than other states for a number of different reasons. I agree with you, and with the reasons you mentioned. I'll add, which I've stated before (most recently in the question 1 thread), that geography & higher education are also chips in the state's favor. With all that in mind, we have one of the highest costs of living in the country, an inept government, doubled tolls, and virtually every state agency in billion dollar debt. Imagine if some leadership with a clue were running this state for the last 50 years. We'd have no state income tax, and no $7 tolls. Maybe even no state sales tax too! :D

7. Run DMC

Run DMC In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +43 / 7 / -7

#24 Jersey

Does this mean that I can still have the privilege of paying $500k for a sh*thole in the greater Boston area? I say, "no thanks.".

8. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

What's great is that I'm getting married next year, and I have to pay the state 5% to celebrate in a hall. :mad:

9. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Quit your whining. Why should you be allowed to stay happy?

10. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

When the economy completely falls flat on its face, and it will (dow 6000 in a few months), Massachusetts near Boston is a great place to be.

Great biotech, medical, technology areas within 100 miles of Boston. 2 world class universities within a mile of each other. Some of the best doctors in the world.

They also basically just legalized marijuana there a month ago.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

Dude, can't you read? I said I'm getting married. As I understand it, there is no happy once that happens. :eek:

In all seriousness, out of 10 people who are married, at least 8 tell me "don't do it, you're $%%^'ing crazy, you got it made right now!". Should I be concered Wistah? :D

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Looks like wista is keeping you in suspense RW....

Dont look at me...I'm a confirmed bachelor! :confused2:

13. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3,026 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey

You basically covered the fundamental truth about Boston/Massachusetts.

For centuries it has been a push-pull between the incomparable brainiacs/entrepeneurs/professors and the incompetent pols/pol family hangers-on/unionistas.

Just look at the debacle in Allston taking place where the good residents are putting Harvard through the ringer for its attempts to actually clean up that "paradise" of warehouses and parking lots to construct the mini city of the next century. Think of it - - 99.9% of cities/towns all over the world would give their left nut (and a HEFTY amount of money) to get a Harvard to relocate and be such a "nuisance" to their "lifestyle".

Look at the ridiculous 25+ year history of Fan Pier - - they had the freaking PRITZKER family (yeah, of the Pritzker Prize for Architecture) kicked off their land so that Joe Fallon and Jack Hynes could build their pre-fab crapola at triple the cost.

Don't even get me started on Southie's "Defense of the Realm" from the evil Bob Kraft and his offer to privately build a billion dollar stadium/mini city.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I know the answer in all honesty (at least I hope I do). Marriage only makes sense when you've found the right person. Even when you think you have, it's not a guarantee to work. That's why I continually stayed single for so long. I wasn't going to do it, for the sake of doing it. Too many people do IMO. They reach an age, or point in their life, and they feel like they have to get married. no thanks. That's when you end up miserable, or single again, only, with half the cash you started with. :D

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I get really upset when I talk about this state. It's home, and should be an oasis for it's citizens. Instead, it's a sesspool of crooks, croni's, and crack heads. It's not by coincidence that people in my age demographic, are leaving the state each year.

16. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I have nothing against Malden being a good place to raise a family , i lived there for 5 years .
    It's a clean ,safe place , and that all i need to appreiciate a place where to raise my family . I don't need disneyland to make it the best place of the world.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +576 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I didn't say it was a bad town. I'm sure it's extremely nice since it was recognized so highly. But I just don't think "Malden is the best city (in MA) to raise a family". There are just so many nice towns in Massachusetts.

But what do I know, I don't live there.:confused:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I think 8 out of 10 people are unhappy to begin with. You bring that into a marriage, hoping that being married will make you happy, then you're asking for it (not you, just in general).

Marriage for me has been great. My wife is the coolest chick I ever met and I never had a regret. She loves football, winter and the blues, just like me. She scares me sometimes but she's never boring. I have no idea what's she's talking about sometimes, but she understands that men aren't emotionally deep or that bright. I'm no exception, but she never tried to change me. That's key. I want to be with her and my kids. I'm not trying to get away from them. I'm always there when she needs me and I never put anyone above her in an arguement.

Oh...and rule # 1: Never, I mean NEVER compare her to another woman - especially her mother! I barely survived that one.

19. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

half? thats pretty optimistic of you RW. ;)

well, good luck to you. But RW, how will be able to post all the pictures of ladies, i mean, it wouldnt be appropriate...being married and all, right?

otherwise, get ready for a LOT of this
    :disagreement:

20. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

In a related study, Leominster has been named the most beautiful city in all the world.