Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mass Oceanic Extinction

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Oceans in distress foreshadow mass extinction | The Raw Story

27 of the world's top ocean experts met in Oxford.

All five mass extinctions of life on the planet, reaching back more than 500 million years, were preceded by many of the same conditions now afflicted the ocean environment, they said.

"The results are shocking," said Alex Rogers, an Oxford professor who heads IPSO and co-authored the report. "We are looking at consequences for humankind that will impact in our lifetime."

Three main drivers are sickening the global marine environment, and all are a direct consequence of humans activity: global warming, acidification and a dwindling level oxygen, a condition known as hypoxia.

2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Here, I made this for you. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

hahah!...you are a strange looking dude...

anyway...

get your 'seafood-on' while you can!

4. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

I just wanted to make sure you looked the part. :)

Actually. It's an interesting article. Not sure how much is based on real science or junk science though. Thats the whole problem with all the faked AGW data, you have no idea what to believe on anything anymore. I was actually leaning in the "perhaps there is something to all this" direction, but now with all the recent revelations of faked data, skewing numbers, I'm kinda back to "WTF, I don't know what to believe anymore". I just wish smart people about science weren't so dishonest (on either side).

It certainly is a scary article, IF TRUE.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I'm pretty sure the science is accurate. Custeau was reporting not to long ago, about the giant mass of plastic in the Pacific Ocean the size of Texas. Saving the Oceans with Jean-Michel Cousteau - Lonely Planet

"During his remarks, Cousteau urged everyone to consider the environmental impact of throwing trash into the ocean and into landfills. Millions of tons of plastic garbage are floating in the Northern Pacific Gyre, in a mass the size of the state of Texas. Cousteau's group and others are working toward cleaning up the mess, but in the meantime, wildlife ingest bits of plastic debris and die from it. "

Lets not forget the BP spill, and now massive leaking radioactive water from Japan...

here is more on this story:

Experts: Seas heading for mass extinctions - World news - World environment - msnbc.com

6. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +844 / 6 / -9

In other words, mission accomplished for the anti-AGW crowd.

What faked data and skewing of numbers are you referring to, specifically?

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Follow this closely, the above combined with Fish Farming is very scary..
    3 million cod or salmon swimming circles around each other in a pen all eating fish shyt.. yummy!!!

There are dead zones in the Gulf of Mexico from fertilizer run off and oil.. it goes on and on, and is not very pretty.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

Nothing Is Forever

Thats The Way It Is

Al Gore Building A Polution Shelter Over There>>>>>>:bricks:

9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Well you should look at the climategate emails, then just this week the AGW crowd was rocked with the revelation that a Greenpeace activist was an author of and reviewed his own work for the last IPCC report even the 'believers' were shocked by this breech of scientific ethics. Then there was the phony Himalayas multing claim in the last IPCC report. The shoddy Mann 'hockey' stick. The NOAA Y2k data set errors.

Billions are spent promoting AGW by governments and scientist who want to keep the gravy train going comply with the designated outcome.

Oh and IPCC isn't implementing their 'new' conflict of interest rules of for the next IPCC report.

Some links on the scandal from last week.

Steve McIntyre uncovered this latest scandal (he was the guy who mathematically disproved the Mann Hickey Stick.

IPCC WG3 and the Greenpeace Karaoke « Climate Audit

Comments by a AGW supporter Mark Lynas who has written books about MMGW:

Mark Lynas: Home » climate change » New IPCC error: renewables report conclusion was dictated by Greenpeace

Mark Lynas: Home » climate change » New allegation of IPCC renewables report bias

Judith Curry on the delays in the COI standards by IPCC:

Conflict of interest guidelines for the IPCC | Climate Etc.

So people seeing how corrupted and politicized government sponsored science has become tend to become skeptical of sensationalized report from 'experts'

I haven't seen the latest report, so I can't comment, however this report is unpublished and not peer reviewed the scientist involved are part of a couple of NGO lobbying groups:

Saving the world and the ocean, one activist opinion at a time – another NGO flap, this one duped global media | Watts Up With That?

The problem is the lack of science education which cause the gullible to react to every scare story regardless of whether it is credible or not. The sad part is that there are issues with pollution that impacts all of us but we ignore them. See some of the writings of Bjorn Lomborg.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

[​IMG]

There is no pollution!
    There is no pollution!
    There is no pollution!
    Please, Santa. Make pollution go away!

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Click your heals three times Dorothy...

12. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

Sometimes we focus on the wrong things.

[​IMG]

Beach in China.

13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +967 / 2 / -9

The Left Wing Liberal Loons Association Of America TLWLLAOA) would like to put all of the blame on Religious, Conservative, Patriotic, White Mother F-cking Republicans.

Over in Africa and down in South America and Cuba they Sh!t in the street, if they can't bury their grandmother when she dies they throw her in the nearest river and they have Chickens living in their bedrooms, they all have The Crucifix hanging on the wall behind their beds, Al Boob Gore and his tribe of nut crackers all want to blame "Six Pack Joe" and his lawn mower.
    F-ck Them, God Willing.

14. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Agreed, we really should be focusing on a jpg from a river or lake in china, and not depletion of marine life worldwide.

This entire report is actually the fault of a village in China.

PF13,

can you please use your moderator powers to delete this thread? I made the mistake of citing articles that report on scientific studies using facts. I should've just posted a picture of a diversion to keep everyone's mind off the subject.

My bad.

15. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Listen H-diggy,

I know you consider me to be a 'liberal-loon' and all....but the science here isn't poking at any particular group of people (aside from those who over-fish, or pollute) At no point do the scientists blame any one who is consservative, patriotic, white, or anything else you seem to be defending here.

Unless you are pro killing marine life, hate eating fish, or are against the food chain....this scientific statemnet is non-partisan.

nahmean?

16. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I was going to post about the plastic. Incredible, it draws together out in the Atlantic like a magnet. I watched an episode on the History Channel.

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

The article you posted documents nothing at all. It is unpublished and un-reviewed ie no data not science, sensationalism.

Get back to us after their data is published and reviewed.

18. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +844 / 6 / -9

Still touting that Climategate "non-scandal" I see.

19. Holy Diver

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Sorry...

again, my bad...

Its written WAY down in the 2nd paragraph, that they are releasing the report of the meeting of experts.

"Dying coral reefs, biodiversity ravaged by invasive species, expanding open-water "dead zones," toxic algae blooms, the massive depletion of big fish stocks -- all are accelerating, they said in a report compiled during an April meeting in Oxford of 27 of the world's top ocean experts.

Sponsored by the International Programme on the State of the Ocean (IPSO), the review of recent science found that ocean health has declined further and faster than dire forecasts only a few years ago."

State of the Ocean.org

on the website..it says the report was released yesterday...the 20th.

and they even have a link to the summary, complete with interviews with corporate SHILLS like:

Professor Dan Laffoley, Senior Advisor at the International Union for the Conservation of Nature

Professor Charles Sheppard, Warwick University

Professor Chris Reid, Marine Institute, University of Plymouth and Sir Alister Hardy Foundation for Ocean Science

Dr. Alex Rogers, Scientific Director of IPSO and Professor of Conservation Biology at the Department of Zoology, University of Oxford

State of the Ocean.org - Solutions: New Report: International Earth System expert workshop on ocean impacts and stresses

again...sorry for confusing the situation with study, and facts.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +358 / 9 / -13

You are one of few who doesn't know it was a scandal. Along with other political types with little/no knowledge of science and technology,oh well.