Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mass. lawmakers consider banning "bath salts"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

I've read a few articles about these salts, and they are quite dangerous, is some cases causing people to be violently psychotic. There's also a synthetic pot, not based on thc, called K2, which has caused some problems in rehabs, because the substance was not illegal (I think it is now) and there were no tests for it. Given the growing numbers of synthetic drugs that skirt the law, I wonder if this will put more pressure on government to seriously consider legalizing drugs -- at least that way they can be better controlled, made safer, and to some degree taken out of the hands of criminals.

Mass. lawmakers consider banning "bath salts" - BostonHerald.com

BOSTON - Massachusetts lawmakers are set to hold a public hearing on a bill banning the sale of synthetic recreational drugs known as "bath salts" that mimic pot, cocaine and other stimulants.

The synthetic drugs can cause paranoia and hallucinations and have been linked with deaths and hundreds of calls to poison centers nationwide. Some states have banned the substances and the nation’s largest doctors’ group supports a national ban.

The Massachusetts bill sponsored by Attleboro Republican state Rep. George Ross would classify bath salts as a Class C substance under the state’s drug laws.

The proposal is scheduled for a public hearing Thursday at the Statehouse.
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 2 / -1

Just heard about the synthetic pot in the last month or so. I think it's what the LSU players, and some other football players, have been suspended for.

Not very good governance when criminal laws banning adults from using fairly harmless, natural substances lead to use of much more dangerous, man-made substances.