Welcome to PatsFans.com

Mass Government workers to be Paid to volunteer?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I know I'm real dumb and all. I mean, afterall it was a miracle I ever finished college. The thing is, when I was in school, I'm pretty sure they taught me that when you "volunteer", you don't get paid. Were they wrong at Suffolk?

‘Volunteer’ program pads healthy perks

By Dave Wedge
    Boston Herald Chief Enterprise Reporter

Friday, July 13, 2007 - Updated: 07:08 AM EST

A much-hyped program that gives state workers up to a dozen paid days off per year to “volunteer” in a wide variety of community activities gives another perk to employees who already have one of the most generous benefit packages in the country.

Massachusetts is tied for sixth nationally in the number of paid holidays for state workers with 13, including the Suffolk County-only holidays Evacuation Day and Bunker Hill Day.

Former GOP Gov. Mitt Romney, now running for president, tried unsuccessfully to abolish those two holidays and a spokesman says the 12 paid volunteer days being trumpeted by Democratic Gov. Deval Patrick are yet another taxpayer-funded giveaway.

A Herald analysis shows that if the 80 employees in the governor’s office took full advantage of the program, the one-year cost would be $217,000. The taxpayer cost just for Patrick, who makes $140,000, to take all 12 paid volunteer days would be about $6,400. There are 50,000 state workers eligible to participate in the program.

“Beyond the loss of productivity for days off, consider the cost of tasking other state employees with making sure their co-workers aren’t just extending their weekends,” said state GOP spokesman Brian Dodge. “With bright ideas like this one, the stream of wasted money directly attributed to Deval Patrick is quickly becoming a raging river.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/localPolitics/view.bg?articleid=1011077
  2. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I have got to get a state job. Its like a license to print money.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

As a Retired State Employee, RI, this is absurd and only invites abuse by the rank and file employee.. it is idiotic and beyond anything reasonable.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's just another 12 paid days off from the most liberal state in the country. I am sure it will pass with no problem. Just fleece the taxpayers even more.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

If it's properly monitored, it amounst a generous and unbiased grant to numerous nonprofit groups, and my guess is that many church charities will benefit. I don't think many people will abuse the benefit since to do so would amount to exploiting a nonprofit.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I love Massachusetts, which makes this more embarrassing as hell.
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

:rofl: :wha: :rofl:

You've got to be kidding. Wow are you a hack.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Yeah but nobody is going to abuse it, and it's going to be "monitored" too.

:rofl:
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

My perception of volunteering implied some sacrifice on the part of the person volunteering.. if this took place the onus would be off of the employee to make the sacrifice and on the taxpayer. Think of all the possibilities for volunteering, you could have state employees volunteering to picket abortion agencies, you could have state employees volunteering to go to DC when they have the pro-life rallies.. bottom line is that many volunteer opportunities have political realities that have nothing to do with state work. There are other creative ways to encourage state employees to volunteer, and having them do it on state time is the least of them. The reality of this whole idea is really stupid and encourages people to flagrantly violate personnnel rules. Wake up with a bad hangover some day, call in and say you are going to volunteer while you veg on the couch all day.. it is probably the most stupid idea I have heard in a long time.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

You can thank your wonderful governor for that.

[​IMG]
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You're always one to give the benefit of doubt, as long as your politics agree with who you're giving it to.
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: :rofl: Stop it..!!! You're killing me..!! :rofl:
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007