Welcome to PatsFans.com

Maryland teen creates award-winning pancreatic cancer test

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 23, 2012.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Maryland teen creates award-winning pancreatic cancer test | The Raw Story

Amazing!

A 15-year-old Maryland student arguably had the day of his life Tuesday, winning a prestigious science award for creating a pancreatic cancer test.

====================================================================
    According to WBAL-TV, North County High School freshman Jack Andraka became the winner of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair for his invention after drawing inspiration from his uncle, who died from the disease.

The precocious teenager said he was turned down by 200 researchers before Johns Hopkins University’s Dr. Anirban Maitra took a chance on him and allowed Andraka to develop the sensor in his lab.
    ====================================================================

I personally know last year's winner, who was working on a cancer treatment using tin to isolate cancer cells before radiation, he had to basically break into his school to work on his project. He developed his theory for isolating canger cells by reverse engeneering a nuclear reactor. He used to talk about this stuff at 8 years old.

Its inspiring to see the teens of today working to create monumental treatments and prevention of disease.

2. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

If this comes all the way to market this is huge. We lost my wife's aunt last thanksgiving to pancreatic cancer.

Seems like this one specifically is a b!tch, because there is not a test to date and prognosis of the people who I have known afflicted with it has always been terminal.

Good find HD

3. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

15? I think I was trying to isolate foam from a glass of beer when pouring it out of a keg. Very important research I thought:cool:

Seriously That is amazing. Very inspiring.

4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Cancer affects everyone...I'm not going to go off on a huge rant here, BUT here is a small one...

We get this 15 year old kid, who is turned down by 200 labs to work on his cancer early detection idea. Looking to make a difference, being turned down over 200 times...and finally getting it done. I don't think I've ever applied for 200 jobs total in my life, let alone being rejected by ALL before I was 16.

Then you have The Susan G. Komen for the Cure Board of Directors Pulling down $500k/yr and defunding planned parenthood because of abortion....its disgusting. I'm not knocking the over $1billlion the foundation has donated to research, but the greed and political BS of some who run the foundation.

It seems a lot of us have lost our way.

Thank god for these kids...

It proves that our greatest treasure, and best investment is in our youngest generation.

5. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,933 / 28 / -22

#75 Jersey