PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mary Malone Sullivan (wife of Billy) dead at age 92

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
This happened 4 days ago but I hadn't seen this anywhere and wanted to wish condolences to the Sullivan family.

That woman was a great support to Billy and his desire to own a football franchise,almost identical to how much Myra was to Robert.

Mary Malone Sullivan, 92, Patriots? founder?s widow - Boston.com

R.I.P. Mary :(

Last edited:
r.i.p.

heartfelt condolences to the family

always important to remember the huge effort from Billy Sullivan to have an AFL franchise in Boston; his desire for it was so big

Last edited:
Wished that more people lived up to being that age. Good health played a part of it.
RIP to her and thoughts and prayers are with her family!

Glad she got to see the 21st century Pats.
Rest in peace.

Without the Sullivans who knows what we'd have. What we do have is the best team in the NFL. RIP Mrs. Sullivan and my condolences to the Sullivan family.

Rest in peace, Mrs. Sullivan. Deepest thoughts to the entire Sullivan family.

If she hadn't given up the house on the Cape, would we have a team to discuss?

We likely would still have a team, though Billy himself likely wouldn't have had a team. After all, he was just 1 of 10 original partners, including Dom DiMaggio IIRC. He never had Bob Howsam money, never mind Lamar Hunt money. It could even be argued that if another partner with more sturdy finances could've been found, the franchise might've had more success more often.

Last edited:
We likely would still have a team, though Billy himself likely wouldn't have had a team. After all, he was just 1 of 10 original partners, including Dom DiMaggio IIRC. He never had Bob Howsam money, never mind Lamar Hunt money. It could even be argued that if another partner with more sturdy finances could've been found, the franchise might've had more success more often.

The Philadelphia organization was about to hold a press conference 10 AM Monday announcing they had been awarded the last franchise. Sunday night, Sullivan stole the franchise away.

From Annihilus' wonderful Patriots History archive at Patriots Planet.

Patriots Planet

Boston Herald.
November 11, 1959
Bill Cunningham

I can't honestly say Mr. Sullivan didn't mention to me what he was up to. In fact, I couldn't avoid knowing he was on the long-distance telephone practically all day Sunday. That was after the story in Sunday's papers that Philadelphia, not Boston, had the inside track for the new league's eighth franchise

It further said Bob Carpenter, the Phil's baseball magnate, would announce his new connection with pro football at a special press conference called for 10 o'clock Monday morning...You'll notice he didn't.

There would not be other opportunities. No one would be crazy enough to invest in a team with no stadium and Boston's politics...

Which wouldn't matter because no established league would have offered a franchise without a huge, expensive, existing stadium.

Kraft bought a team with a 30 year history and a stadium, rudimentary though it was.

Sullivan might have been the facilitator in the procurement of the 8th AFL franchise for Boston
due to his considerable PR/deal-making skills, but that alone should not have qualified him to become
the franchise's sole owner, with Chuck as the money man & Pat as the personnel man.

Heh....LOVED Patman.....

AhDY9KmCQAAeLbU.jpg

Sullivan might have been the facilitator in the procurement of the 8th AFL franchise for Boston
due to his considerable PR/deal-making skills, but that alone should not have qualified him to become
the franchise's sole owner, with Chuck as the money man & Pat as the personnel man.

No one else wanted it. There was no stadium and a history of failed football teams.

The Philadelphia organization was about to hold a press conference 10 AM Monday announcing they had been awarded the last franchise. Sunday night, Sullivan stole the franchise away.

From Annihilus' wonderful Patriots History archive at Patriots Planet.

Patriots Planet

There would not be other opportunities. No one would be crazy enough to invest in a team with no stadium and Boston's politics...

Which wouldn't matter because no established league would have offered a franchise without a huge, expensive, existing stadium.

Kraft bought a team with a 30 year history and a stadium, rudimentary though it was.

Please.

Bob Kraft paid $172 million (the largest amount at that time for any NFL team in history) for what was a steaming pile of crap. The Montreal Expos had better potential.

Last edited:
Please.

Bob Kraft paid $172 million (the largest amount at that time for any NFL team in history) for what was a steaming pile of crap. The Montreal Expos had better potential.

What i said was true. Nobody would have offered some owner without a team and a stadium a franchise period.

Always nice to fly first class, but somebody needed to land on their heads at Kittyhawk first.

What i said was true. Nobody would have offered some owner without a team and a stadium a franchise period.

Always nice to fly first class, but somebody needed to land on their heads at Kittyhawk first.

I prefer a more classical analogy, Ray....

icarus.jpeg

poor poor Icarus....

awww man...I think I love you...where the hell did you find THAT?

doh...yeah...I just watched a couple of other clips...I'm not the sharpest tool in the drawer,Ray...:ugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes